My city fell over. RE-REDUX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sjael, Sep 3, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sjael

Sjael New Member

2. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

I'm glad that your ok. Let us all take a moment to look up to the sky and say "Praise the lord".

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Most importantly there seem to be no casualties as of yet, although that can certainly change what with people being injured and the general disruption of things.

Glad to hear that you are okay.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Yeah just heard about it on the radio. Police reports some minor looting as well? Maori probably.

5. Sjael

Sjael New Member

NZ is on a fault line, so we get a few big earthquakes, however we have a very small population and earthquakes rarely strike a propulation center. The last time there was any significant damage from an earthquake was 1931 when 260-some people died. Since then there have been maybe 3 total casualties from earthquakes nationwide in the 79 years since.
    It's quite explainable, see, there aren't very many maoris in the south, and thus very little looting. I did find it quite funny when my half-maori friend called me at about 8am to see if I wanted to go looting. :roll:

Along the fault line the land has shifted over 2 meters.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I know virtually nothing about geology and tectonic plates and whatnot, but once land has been shifted as much as two meters, shouldn't the fault line have been relieved of a significant amount of stress, making future earthquakes less likely and severe?

7. Sjael

Sjael New Member

That makes sense, at least in the short term, however there have been frequent tremors every 15-30 minutes since it happened (it's now 1:40pm.)
    As I understand it, and I may well be wrong, earthquakes happen because convection currents in the earth's mantle layer push the tectonic plates together, and when they slip and rub it causes some distress up on the surface.

There at least shouldn't be another significant earthquake for a decent length of time.

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

It's good to hear that you are okay, and I hope that that they can quickly rebuild everything like it use to be.

PS: There are no possibilities of tsunamies. because of the currents in the earth's mantle layers?

9. Sjael

Sjael New Member

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Yeah, that sucks, mate. :( Christchurch is usually such a beautiful town. May the force be with you all.

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

So, are you going to rename the city, since the Church got destroyed? It's a shame to see such a landmark fall.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Still waiting on contact from an old travel buddy from Christchurch.

13. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Only the pointy bit came off - and it's going to be rebuilt.

Plus, calling a city Christ is just awkward. :D

14. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

That sucks man! And I thought that the earthquakes there were over. I really hope that you (or anyone else, who lives in NZ.) have not lost anyone.

15. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Well if christ's church fell over I guess you could always rename the city to Land.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Having recentlyScrubs DVD undergone and completed my medical residency, had a unique perspective on "Scrubs." First, I'm a big fan of sharp wit and humor; bushes provide sufficient dose of it in the entire series. I realized thatThe Tribe DVD I pick up (and probably lost some) cracks the past that are perfectly synchronized. Secondly, the characters are unique and have their own characteristics that make them attractive. The producers do a good job of not boxing, in particular, to a stereotype. Third, and one of the biggest reasons why I love watching scrubs are crossing theYour Baby Can Read DVD residence, I can find the program on several levels, in parallel, we are living.While some people may laugh at the absurdity of certain scenes, you'll be surprised how close to the truth of these scenes is! It is a little gem show about the lives of medical residents (much more fun than watching ER), and I can not wait for the DVDThe Office DVD to come out! Fortunately, writers and actors know when they change from being a comic book to be dramatic, and it gives the show a sense of dignity, like many other shows lack.Department of Extra, we have some things quite well. The cutPrison Break DVD scenes are really funny (I like that involving two patients who are mentally insane, and believe they are Jesus and Satan), a great outtakes, alternate line readings, and audio commentary.In conclusion, this is a big box game. It is a must-own for Scrubs fans, and worth a visit for someone who has never seen the show.

17. magikot

A spam bot that had a coherent sentence? I think they're evolving...

18. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

They must be! Like the one that popped up in the Favorite Insult thread, like it knew that it was literally an insult by posting.

19. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Just had two more major aftershocks.

Yet another church collapsed. :roll:

20. magikot

Our Host!