Muro and pervert_dog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Oct 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Just for clarification: There's considerably more than a resizing involved here.
    My avvie was created by cloning a grey-scale version of the Thorvald pic onto an old-looking frame, then adding more hair to the top of the head and the coat and collar below. Afterwards, the complete image was mounted onto a transparancy for use on the forum.
    For all intents and purposes, it's a completely new picture and that's why there was no need to remove the original one.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'm aware of how did the creation of your custom go, rroyo. I'm just saying that although the custom is still Thorvald, there's no problem with Thorvald himself still being in the galleries. I'd like to do something similar, that is still make it a Lou, but a different enough one that it will really be a custom, yet as much as I like my grey&blue contraptions, they don't seem to be approved too much. Ah well.

I might have an idea, but I lack time at the moment. Plus I have to think it through. Tomorrow, perhaps. In the meantime we can wait for Mesteut's suggestion, since there may be wisdom in his words.

3. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Tried to make the armor blue, but couldn't make the mutant face greyer. Might've worked if the background and the face went a little "colder", but couldn't manage to do it myself.

Here's the result though:

[​IMG]

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I think that the part of the picture under Lou's head which you colored blue is his body, not his armor.

I had two ideas the day before yesterday, yet luckily I didn't have time to post them. Luckily, because now I can see how that which I considered awesome turned out to be meh, while my "jocular Lou" actually looks like "retarded Lou" when there's no normal Lou for comparison. Ah well.

It was said that the least glowing suggestion with the shine was still hard on the eyes. How about this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

The blue glare is a bit hard on the eyes, but why not just try it for a brief period? Perhaps people will get used to it.

6. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Is there a reason you need a fucking shining light in your avatar?

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Why are you taking so much part in this anyway? Its clearly a rule breach.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

What can I say? I'm quite a persistant individual. Other ideas have failed me, while this one was generally greeted as awesome as a pic, but a bit too bright as an avatar. I favour this concept as well, and since I wanted to avoid cheap techniques, I tried to improve it little by little to get rid of that stubborn "bit", which seems to be fucking huge. A different reason could be that it would be like a fusion of my two non-custom avatars here, but I realised that just lately.

Why, do you ask? I believe the answer is in this thread already:

At first I just wanted to share one idea, but then there were suggestions on how it should be improved and pretty much I was the one expected to do those changes, being the provider of the first pic after all.

9. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Maybe it's time to just admit that the reason we can't decide on an avatar for you is because you have no personality.

Personally, I like the blue shining light avvy. It's bothersome having to hear people whine about everything lately. Until somebody comes up with a better solution than those really ugly 'default cop-out' amateur photoshop jobs (no offense to any of the makers of them, since I can't do any better. Perhaps Muro's photoshop skill just makes them seem gross in comparison), the shiny blue seems like the best pick.

Why is it hurting people's eyes? There are shines on the basic skin that are more aggravating than that.

EDIT: Mesteut's sig pic is nice, though.

10. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Not everyone can handle very bright shiny things. Myself included. They literally hurt us, and I for one come here for mental pain, not physical.

11. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Yeah, but you only really get the best stimulus out of experiencing both at the same time.

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Life's tough.

13. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I shouldn't have to turn the brightness on my screen down just to read this forum. It's a goddamn production in and of itself.

14. Dodgy7

Dodgy7 New Member

For what it's worth, i find your current signature to be worse on the eyes (among all the black / red) than the proposed avatar. Not that I mind either of them.

15. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I don't think Xiao's avatar is hard on the eyes so much as it is disconcerting to see that happy go lucky chick in a sea of cynicism and discontent.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I found the one with the two guys a penis touching one of their faces a bit hard on the eyes.

17. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I’ll get right on it.
    Xiao’s yard is kinda full.
    I’ll just scatter the bodies around Forks, Wa.
    DF could help me with that.
    We’re both within driving distance.

Sound like a good plan to me.
    Step 1: go with retirement of avvy plan.
    Step 2: when acceptable avvy is found replace current avvy and un-retire original..

*looks around at the fur lined cuffs, ostrich feathers, bowl of melting ice cubes, lit candle, ballpoint pens, fleece mitten, clothespins and riding crop*
    I’ll just be putting these away, yes?

18. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I tried zooming in, and I can say with some certainty that what you see there is an extension of a chestplate. The whole point of that recolor was to eliminate hot colors as much as possible from the picture though. That place that a bright yellow - which didn't really fit. I'll take another look into it sometime, maybe.

By the way, instead of a shine, can't you add a "digital screen effect"?
    (Spoiler is about the very beginning of KotOR, not really a spoiler but still)
    Kinda something like what you see in KotOR when Carth Onasi contacts you on the Endar Spire at the very beginning of the game, if you have "Frame Buffer Effects" on
    You should know that screens not working properly due to magnetic fields is very nuclear apocaliptic, considering all the EMP generated and such (we'll assume enough time has passed that there's only interference and not a shockwave of electromagnetic wave that'll fry any digital equipment)

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Thing is, if we'll look at Lou's in-game sprites, we'll see that he does have no such thing like a chest plate - the space, which is yellow on the talking head, is uncovered on the sprites. Plus, if the yellowish region would be an armor, I don't think there would be enough space for his massive Super-Mutant neck.

I'm a bit confused here. Could you provide any pictures to illustrate what do you have in mind?

20. Dodgy7

Dodgy7 New Member

The hardening effect of that one was applied elsewhere.

Our Host!