multiple patches

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Langolier, Oct 22, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Langolier

Langolier Member

I have a question regarding using multiple patches that have evects in "effects.mes". I'm currently using the patch that adds several backgrounds to the game, however I would like to add the Machined Platemail patch, however I noticed that it comes with its own "effect.mes" file in order to add the effects of the machined platemail. How can I add it without deleting the effects from all the new backgrounds?

2. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

The only way I know to deal with it is to use a nice program like mesedit that DJUnique made and open up your old version of effects.mes, the version that came with the new mod and a copy that you will be using as your final version. Then edit the third one to add the stuff from the new mod so that you make sure it doesn't mess up your old stuff. With that program, editing the mes files isn't really that hard, but you do have to be careful. You will also need to be sure that no other files are being changed by the new mod that will overwrite previous changes. Above all, make a backup copy of the version you have now that works before editing because I have had some strange things happen occasionally. Arcanum is not always logical in the way it reacts to entries in the effects.mes file, but it is usually due to some other conflict that you don't know about. If you change a background entry, be sure you change it in ALL the files that refer to it or you will get weird results. I'm not sure how helpful this has been, but I hope I haven't discouraged you from trying because you can do some fun stuff by tinkering with the effects.mes file. Just back it up first and see what happens. :)

3. Langolier

Langolier Member

Oh I've had lots of fun tinkering with Effect.mes.... think Im gonna wait a while though..... That str bonus to machined platemail will be sweet though...

4. Rane

Rane New Member

Patch

I don't recommend adding too many patches to one effect.mes because the multiple patches will sooner or later conlfict and then your game will just crash after 10mins (Like it happened to me :cry: )

5. Langolier

Langolier Member

I know............ I definetly know. I'm just gonna get rid of the backgrounds I downloaded. Ever since realizing I could modify any background I want for my own purposes, I have no use for them.

Our Host!