Most regreted PC game purchase?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WB Steamcock, Mar 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. WB Steamcock

WB Steamcock New Member

I've been doing some spring cleaning and general organization around the house and started digging through my game collection. One glaring blemish that stands out and still pisses me off to no end is the game Dungeon Lords (ridiculous steaming pile of monkey shit!!!!!). It was the sole purchase I've ever made without doing prior research on a game because my brother fed me some rather poor info (he has yet to receive forgiveness). The rubbish remains in the collection as a monument to my stupidity. It leaves me curious as to what games others have bought that left them regretting it?

2. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I have Dungeon Lords as well. Thankfully I received it as a gift so I'm spared the shame of purchasing it myself.

The game I regret buying the most would have to be Myst. I know it's a great game and a great story but what pisses me off about it is that I bought it when I was way too young to enjoy it, and now I can't seem to get it to work on Vista :(

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I think my biggest would've to be a thankfully cheap game. I bought Silverfall for $7 including shipping. It's I think the only game where I've honestly given up and said "fuck this, I'd rather play something else."

I think one of the greatest purchases I've ever made, was getting Gun for $20. I expected an okay, barely par game, and it was absolutely stellar. ^_^

Hey, Magicarp: here

4. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I had to flip through my library while thinking of this because I knew there were a few glaring mistakes I'd made over the years as far as purchases go. Several stood out to me; Rage of Mages, Metal Hearts, Mage Knight: Apacalypse to name a few. But one game stood head and shoulders above the rest as the worst game I'd ever spent money on: Final Fantasy Online. At least the other games I mentioned, I would occasionally dust off and give a second or third chance. But FF online has never had the privelage of gracing my hdd after I deleted it the first time and I gaurantee it never will again. It is the worst MMO ever developed imo and the fact that I actually played it semi consistantly enough to ante up a monthly payment after the initial purchase just tosses a big handfull of salt in the wound and may well be the deciding factor in gaining this dubious honor. I bought it back when it was first released in the States, wo that would've been.....2003 maybe (I'm not looking it up)? To this day I've never spent as much as a penny on another MMO.

It's weird you brought that up of all games. I just started a new playthrough last night after about 3 years since I last finished it. It's such a brilliant game.

5. magikot

Just went through my entire game library (including consoles) and found my two worst purchases were both on playstation (both by the same publisher).

Ravenloft: Iron & Blood. Though the actual fighting in this game was fun when you got the hang of it, this fighter by Take-Two was marred by horrible camera angles which lead to clunky controls. Also the graphics on this game would make your eyes bleed. Price: $3 used.

Darkstone. I bought this during playstations "great games for $10" phase (or whatever the hell they marketed it as). Though it was engaging the first time I played it, the game had no replay value and was a blatant Diablo clone. I would replay the first two chapters over and over again but after that the difficulty ramped way over the character's head (where a lone hornet could kill your warrior in just two hits) and the story became uninspired. It would have been a great game had Take-Two allowed Delphine to develop it more. In the end the game felt rushed and imbalanced. Price: $10 new.

EDIT: Thanks for the link DF.

6. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Limbo of the Lost. Fucking piece of shit.

7. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

8. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Played the demo for Quake Wars for a while. It was rather fun, but I guess the full game might be a little bit to monotone.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Trespasser. Nice premise, being shipwrecked on Jurassic Park's Site B, but everything else about it sucked.

10. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The only regretted PC games that crossed my mind were Heart of China and Escape from Monkey Island. Heart of China, because it was too easy, and the plot really stank. Escape of the Monkey Island, because of the frustrating controls.

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Let's see, I've bought a few clunkers over the years...

Final Fantasy Online: Most of the interesting classes are locked, you lose EXP every time you die, so by the time you start picking up interesting gear you'll lose the ability to use it if you die once, the difficulty curve was fucking evil, and by the time I got online people were really harsh on new-types, assuming they paid me any attention at all. Fuck that.

Neverwinter Nights 2: WTF was I thinking? Oh, that's right, I assumed that because the first game was awesome, the second one would be too. (I'm not counting MotB here, though, that expansion does a lot to dull the shame of buying the original campaign in the first place.)

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth for the PSP. I made the mistake of playing this after playing Silmeria for the PS2, and it suffers in comparison. Boring, boring, boring, and a strange difficulty curve means that you get halfway through the game and then get beaten to death by peons. I will give it credit for Lezard Valeth though. Epic bad guy!

Final Fantasy 8: Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate ad nauseum. A battle system that's abusive to the point of being fucking retarded, unlikable characters, a bloody stupid plot involving time travel and massive goddamn paradoxes... Now, if the game had been about Laguna, it could have been quite fun, but it's about Squall and Rinoa, two of the least likable characters in video game history. Guh.

Odd. I'm a massive Final Fantasy fan, yet two of them make it to my 'most loathed games ever' list.

13. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

FF8 did kill the franchise for alot of people. Every game Square Enix has release since then looks exactly the same. They really need to take a hiatus from the fantasy/rpg genre and delve into something a little fresher.

I've given some clunkers and now I can't refrain from adding a few gems I've picked up. On consoles, I nabbed Phantom Dust brand new for $15. TThe game is such pure genius I would've payed triple that for a scratched up used copy. On PC, I bought Fallout 1 at a Big Lots for $10. Again, I would've payed that multiple times over, that game is so damn good. The only other game to top that purchase was finding Fallout 2 for $20 at an EB store 6 months later. I don't think there's a monetary limit to how much I'd pay to guarantee I'd always have a copy of that game.

14. WB Steamcock

WB Steamcock New Member

My fiancee bought Two Worlds. I gave it a try but the dialog is so fucking horrendously over-the-top it's insulting...Ambitious but rubbish (much like Neverwinter Nights 2- another stink-bomb that thankfully I received as a gift).

I found Mage Knight: Apocalypse at BigLots for $2. Not a great game, or even good, but for $2 I won't complain. I still see it every now and then at GameStop for $20. That same day I bought The Longest Journey games for $5 and I really enjoyed both a lot.

Dungeon Lords and the assholes who put that kind of crap on the market need to be buried out in the New Mexico landfill where all the ET cartridges for the Atari 2600 were sent.

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

FFVIII was horrible. IX was... tolerable. X was good for what it was, but eh. Online you know my opinion on already.

I actually really enjoyed XII. It's a nice departure from 'we are on a mission to save the universe' for the vast majority of the game, and it gave us Basch fon Ronsenburg AND Balthier, for which I must admit I am thankful.

16. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

FFIX is supposed to be Hironobu Sakaguchi's favourite.

17. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

How very interesting. :roll:

18. magikot

I liked FF8 and FF9 a lot. Wasn't a big fan of FFX or FFX-2. FF12 was tolerable but I found I enjoyed the side quests and the minor characters more than Vann (Vahn? Whatever...).

19. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I have never played any of the FF games.

All I remember from FF12 are the bunny amazon people.

Can't remember any bigger regrets I have had about games I have purchased though.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ah, the Viera, Hot Amazon Bunny Girls and about nine fetishes rolled up into a single form. *snicker*

I really enjoyed the sidequests and stuff too. It helped give the impression that the world was going on regardless of what you were doing. That's some clever world-building right there.

What I'd really like to play is a game with engaging characters and a solid plot... where only a few people would be affected if you failed or fucked up. I like the concept of small-scale stuff, I think it can be really excellent if carried out properly, but so far nobody seems to want to try it.

Our Host!