More Ship Options

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Antoninus, Sep 19, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Antoninus

Antoninus New Member

In Arcanum 2, you should be able to buy a ship if you have enough gold. But if you use it, you have the chance of getting attacked by pirates, sea serpents or sea monsters. I know there is a Below Decks MOD for Arcanum already (I have it) but there should be a BUILT IN one in A2. Different size ships should also be avalible that would vary in price. You could make extra money by taking passengers or cargo to a city. Or do some smuggling for the thieves underground and have to talk your way through customs. If you have anymore, please feel free to post them.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Grand idea. I like it :)

Additionally, it would be great if there were mysterious islands out there that you could only reach by boat. What if there were old pirates' treasures hidden at the uninhabited islands (when speaking of that, there really should be a tribe of cannibals somewere, just for the sake of it). Would cover the purchase expenses for the boat nicely.

Really, they could include various kinds of vehicles in the next Arcanum. Airships, submarines, probably planes too. The possibilites are endless.

It would also be great if the vehicles came in both technological and magickal variants. Steampowered boats and flying hippogryphs come to mind...

3. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

I think it would be awesome to have means of upgradeable transportation. for example you could outfit your boat with cannons, armor, or a harpoon gun in case you want to do a little pirateing yourself to pay the expenses. :)

4. Antoninus

Antoninus New Member

Mmm...steam boats ok, flying glyphs, no. A magic carpet or a Sprout Wings spell or Summon Phoniex spell.

We cant have any gyro-copters or any flying things for Techies because remember the only thing that flew was the IFS Zephyer and Maxim's planes didnt really work too well.

5. Drake Crowind

Drake Crowind New Member

The Hippogriph Idea is done. (Harry Potter Rip off.)
    But It would be cool if you could own a Blimp like the Zepplin
    and you can pirate the skys as well as the unsuspecting ships below!

Bombs Away!!!!

:rifle: :akimbo: :minigun: :boxing: :smash:

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Why not? An Arcanum sequel would be put in a completely different time. Whether they put it in the future or back in time (ie the Age of Legends) functional aeroplanes/gyrocopters/blimps/whatever could be perfectly explainable.

And why's the dislike towards hippogryphs? To me, it seems fully surmisable that a mage could use a flying beast for his own transportation.
    This wouldn't be a Harry Potter rip-off, since it's been used in fantasy plenty of times before - and by the way, ain't the whole Harry Potter series just one fat rip-off alltogether?

On the other hand, I don't believe I've ever encountered any hippogryphs in Arcanum, but I'm sure some other existing creature could suffice. They couldn't be too hard to implement though...

You know, this brings back memories... first off, the Final Fantasy series, were ownership of one or more blimps seemed mandatory. And Red Alert 2. Just got to love the Kirov Airhips... those fellows could easily shred entire bases into pieces. :-o

7. King_Natstar

King_Natstar New Member

i agree
    i think it would be much better if you could move you ship around on water as if your character changed to a ship when you and your followers get on it.

8. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

And when you encounter enemies your boat takes dammage and gets holes in it and it slowly sinks if you do not repair it.

9. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

Good ideas really, and whatz about horses!? :/

They are good for knights, paladins.

You give a 7000-10000 coins in stables and you get one horse for riding (speed something about 50-60 but in large 3d landmarks)

:p

10. Samwise

Samwise New Member

Or techies can build a mechanical horse like you see in the end-game slides of Arc1. :) :thumbup: :D

11. Lord Coldwolf

Lord Coldwolf New Member

Rightttt! :p

But the real horses are more impressive than those "metal ". :)

12. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

Not to crush your dreams but i think it would be very difficult to implement horses into arcanum 2 and it would frankly ruin all the basic hack'n'slash features of arcanum that i know we all love.
    Firstly we can look at baldurs gate 2... they felt horses would for one ruin the whole concept of the original that ppl loved and i know i still do, and it would also be to hard to implement.
    Secondly putting guns and shit on you boat and upgrading it is a pretty unrealistic idea for a game of this genre and concept, but i do love the idea of exploring and pirate attacks.
    Airships... hmmm... I think not, owning one would require fountins of wealth and I'd say that putting it far enough into the future to have airplanes would ruin the victorian era feel.
    theres my rave over... do reply :)

13. Stoat

Stoat New Member

I disagree that airships would ruin the victorian feel of the game. The ships need only be managed properly. Remeber the original plot started with the hero riding and airship that was attacted by air planes. I have always felt rather cheated that there were no air ships other than the one my character crashed in.

14. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

In the future, leave threads more than 1 month old alone. And in the GD 2 weeks.

15. EyeOfFire

EyeOfFire New Member

I mean in the original the had blimps and ships - just didn't elaborate on them, so why not in arcanum 2? Yes, they would require LOTS of money, but if all the other ideas that have been raised (things like jobs) money shouldnt be that difficult to come by (and am I the only one that ends up with hundreds of thousands of coins by the time I enter the void? and thats AFTER Ive repaired and bought backup armour and weapons.)

If you did include stuff like this, it would make arcanum more free - like you have to follow a basic storyline, but otherwise you can do what you want.

Our Host!