Modding Main-Game Item Layout?

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by San_Gue, Jul 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. San_Gue

San_Gue New Member

Don' t know if I managed to explain, with the post subject, what I'm try to do:

Making that simple i want my PC to appear, for example, dressed with a Basic Plate when he actually wear a Servant Dress...

Om not talking about the inventory appearance;
    I' ve modified:
    item_ground.mes
    item_inven.mes
    item_paper.mes
    item_schematics.mes
    and I' ve managed to obtain the full inventory alteration of appearance and even the aspect the object has when it lies on the ground, but the actual moving PC still always seem to wear the right kind of clothing...

Someone know wich file do manage the association between an object and the relative art file that is shown in the main game?

Thanks ^^

2. Nataku

Nataku Member

The only way I know is to insert the dress art in the plate slot (in item_ground, item_inven and item_paper) but it will only works with a particular dress and not with all dresses in Arcanum :)

3. San_Gue

San_Gue New Member

wait...
    You' re telling me that the Isometric view of an item when dressed on can' t be modified, but that it does work on new items inserted modding the same file I' ve already modded in the same way I did for original items?

That doesn' t make any sense...

Is the Dresd graphic stored inside the .pro file?
    And, if that so, there is any way to edit an item?

Otherwise, can' tI copy an original fgile, addin it in as a new way extendig the Proto list for plates modding his art?

4. Nataku

Nataku Member

I just say what I know of WorlEd

Why the graphics should be in prototype files ? Isometric and inventory graphics are .art files. In the proto, you maybe can change the art attached to the item (so you can change a dress by a plate) but I'm not sure it's the better way.
    Another way is to change an art file in Arcanum (you call a dress as the plate you want to change) and then all the plates with that art will appear as dresses in inventory but as plates on isometric view (because the art is still in a plate slot).
    (I don't know if my solution is readable :???: )

I've never modify the proto list, I don't know nothing about it.

5. San_Gue

San_Gue New Member

Sorry, didn' t meant to be rude ^^''
    Actually I' m not familar with the WorldEd, so that' s why it didn' t make sense for me ^^''
    I'm altering the game itself editi the original files, unpackig the .dat and modding them directly.

Going on...
    Leave out the prototype file thing; it was only a fool hypotesis; sorry ^^''
    For the rest, that is exactly what i did; instead of changing the .art file I've switched the link betwen an item and their .art file.
    if you edit the 4 file I' ve mentioned in the first post you'll understand what I'm talking about.
    Actually I did exactly what you suggested, only in a different way;
    As I said I' ve obtained a complete change of art, except for the isometric layout, that is til my problem.

But I' m more interested in this part of your answer:
    So you' re saiyng that the layout is based on the position in the proto list slot that are separated between dresses, armors and plates etc?
    Or there is another way to alter the "slot" association that you know?
    Is that what you mean? It could be...
    I' ll give a try and let you know.

Thanks for the help ^^

6. Nataku

Nataku Member

Yeah, I believe the isometric art read by the game depends of the slot of the art. That why i put the scythe art in a stick slot and not in a two-handed slot (I downloaded this art on ArcanumClub).

I would like to may change the association because there is an ultra-limited number of slot in the weapon's category (20 arts per weapon) but I don't know how to do.
    I just know do simple manipulations, not changing the "rules of WorldEd" :/

7. San_Gue

San_Gue New Member

Ok... I' ve verified...

No, Isometric is not determined by slot.
    I was triyng to change the Healing Jacket slot when i' ve noticed that the Jacket is slotted under chainmails but actually the isometric layout is from leather armors...

So... You said you added a scythe.. what you did to add that item fresh new?
    Copied the art files and the proto?

Than what?

8. Nataku

Nataku Member

I didn't changed proto, I've just modified the three item art files.
    At the beggining, I put the scythe as 2-handed-sword and then I changed it to a stick.
    It changed isometric view just by changing the slot :-?

Our Host!