Mistakes they knew they were making...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by floyd, Apr 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. floyd

floyd New Member

... horrible ones they meant to make...

Hm. I finished another game of Arcanum today and noticed something rather amusing.
    I decided to kill Bates this time through, because I wanted to become the owner of his mansion. When I became the owner, I took Bates' dairy and went to see Appleby. I sold him the dairy, but killed him shortly after. The next day Appleby's death was reported in The Tarantian.
    Now get this:

-> While travelling on foot through Arcanum, I still had lots of encounters with Bates' bountyhunters because of selling Appleby the dairy. When I asked them if there wasn't anything I could do to make them forget they ever found me, they still told me that they preferred working for a man like Bates. For a corpse, eh? Ha!

-> After finishing the game, the slideshow did mention Bates' death, but guess who tried to take over his business? Appleby! Yeah, good old Appleby. The guy who ran into my Tesla Gun. Teh funny!

I suppose that with a game the size of Arcanum, it's rather hard for the developers to deal with such potential inconsistencies, but I was kinda sorta wondering if any of you guys had experienced other ones -- story-wise, that is. If so, do post them.

2. Cattivo

Cattivo New Member

The one I always remember is whenever I deal with Lukan and then kill him and his two ogre buddies. It says at the end of the game that Shrouded Hills withered and died because of the thieves, even though I killed them.

3. Nervestaple

Nervestaple New Member

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    For some reason or another, my game won't show me all the slides I should get... that's very annoying. I get like three slides before the ending is over.

5. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Well lets throw a lit together of what slides are connected to what events/quests...might make peculiarities easier to identify

6. Mag the Bloody-handed

Mag the Bloody-handed New Member

I find it amusing that Appleby chooses to attack you if you insult him, yet his death is reported as a murder in the Tarantian.

It seems no one in Arcanum believes in the right of self defense.

7. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I do not know when exactly one is called a 'gravedigger', but I think you will be called that way soon. Anyway, I don't want to be the first one to tell you that.

8. Mag the Bloody-handed

I revive a single post from a few months ago and you leap on the chance to throw out a tag for me. Did the reverberating thoughts inside your skull ever consider the possibility of an isolated event, or perhaps I didn't pay attention to the date of the post?

Something I will surely do in the future, thanks to your immediate and decisive posting.

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Slap if I'm wrong about this, but I believe that Necro-Threadage is a no-no around here. God knows it's a no-no everywhere else I go.

10. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Isolated events don't take place in pairs, and you didn't check the dates of two posts. I do not consider gravedigging a first degree offense, especially since you're so articulated.

And I didn't mean to be snappish. In fact, I'm sort of the bitch around here, but not in an unpleasant way.

Now let's start afresh, shall we? Welcome to the forum. :)

[EDIT: And Xiao, I think it used to be worse, I'm pretty new to the forum myself, but our present ruler, DarkUnderlord, is much more merciful about it. Which is another way of saying he doesn't give a damn as long as people post interesting things. Now, some other members, the older ones, do care about it. That's why one should tread carefully.]

11. Mag the Bloody-handed

Two posts? Are you referring to my request for assistance in the Tips and Tricks forum?

If that is the case I revived that thread because the conversation was targeted to an area I am currently having difficulty with in the game due to a glitch or my own stupidity in solving it.

I did not mean the above(response post to your tagging) to be anything but sheer elation in regards to your voracity in keeping new posters on a path of good etiquette.

Hello, Bunny. So named for the prostitute at Madam Lil's, or for other reasons?

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

*nods* Okays, that's good to know. Thanks.

*stares at mag's post for a second. blinks. blinks again*

You know, that never occured to me...

13. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I've just seen too many people pounded in the head for doing what you did, I wanted to try to save someone. :D

Hello, Mag. 50% for the whore and 50% for... Er... Let's leave it there...

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I sincerely hope that isn't sarcasm sir, as we distribute the right to use that here based on merit.

We have a very strict no-digs policy. In fact, many of use would rather you just make a new threat than dig up some old drivel. There are a few reasons for that, ones I won't go into now. I'm sure you can make an argument for reviving the old thread as well, but you're at HoL and that's been policy for as long as I've been around.

I'm sure you didn't mean it, and I'm not going hold it against you, provided you don't make a habit of it. DU is a very forgiving moderator, you're lucky Jar Jar he was all over this particular type of offense, inadventant or not.

I somehow get the feeling that you think that Bunny's trying to act like some law enforcement officer around here, like you've got to get clever to fight the power. She gave you a mild reprimand. Do yourself a favor and give her a break. Kay?

15. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

Mag, follow Blinky's advice....you really don't want to see him angry!Oh, Xz also is really nonpityfull on that cases (At least i think hes not)

16. Canis

Canis New Member

Not really. I don't remember the exact thread where this was discussed, but DU pointed out that Jar was the only one who was violently compulsive about this. It was decided, more or less, that in forums that have less traffic than we'd desire, posting relevant information in an older thread isn't a capital offense.

More often, calling someone a gravedigger has more to do with one's desire to flame than with any fault on the part of the (usually new) offender.

I would personally hate to have a forum where threads are constantly begun anew because of a fear of posting in an identical thread from a month ago.

I like you. :D

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well, I go away for six months and everything changes. Then I guess I'll relax about it.

Really, I just didn't appreciate him sniping at Bunny who was only educating him in one of the nicest ways I've seen in awhile. I mean, he is quite clever, but she was still being fairly polite.

18. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Since Jar isn't here, someone's gotta stand for his beliefs, so, I'm one of them, ofcourse I'm a bit more liveral on the issue than he was. in the so called "dead" forums I can accept 2 months. ;)

19. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

Ive seen some of the old topics Xz, you really didn't like people gravedigging.

20. Bunny

Bunny New Member

*blushes* :heart: Thank you, Blinky
    But in fact, Mag and I have already fixed that little problem. :D

Our Host!