Missing Files ...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by ghosts, Feb 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ghosts

ghosts New Member

Hey everyone. :]

I'm assuming you'll all know what this post is about -- I'm attempting to install the game, and this lovely little message keeps popping up that reads "error 1308" and tells me that Vormantown.dat and arcanum3.dat are missing. This is my second install, and I don't think my first install gave me any error messages, but it didn't run. I just got a black screen, a few seconds of the first "loading" image, and then the game quit. (And yes, I've downloaded the patch.)

Admittedly, I'm working with a downloaded copy. My cousin has my game, and even if he didn't live really far away, he probably hasn't seen the discs in years. I tried Amazon (no luck for us Canadians), and it doesn't look as if anyone will ship to Canada on eBay. I'm weary of eBay anyway ... I've been searching the threads here and even people with the discs have been having the same trouble, it looks like. I'll take the risk if I absolutely have to, but I figured I might as well try this in the meantime.

I've tried Googling for help, but this is the only place that looked good to me. Useful info is surprisingly obscure for such a great game! I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks!

2. mathboy

mathboy New Member

3. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

In any case, you could've just tried to reinstall it.

Same with the original copy, if it produces the similar/same kind of problem.

4. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

If all else fails try this convulted guide to putting arcanum on the HDD without the help of the quirky installer.

And don't cheap out, buy a copy of the game when you see it on ebay. Make cd images of the discs and keep the originals safe in their box. This game is worth it.

5. ghosts

ghosts New Member

mathboy: Yes, I probably do suck at eBay -- I've never made an actual purchase there. I was also checking out ebay.ca, which didn't give me any of those results, but thank you very much for the links.

Dirtman: I tried reinstalling. No luck. Aren't those missing files kind of important?

The_Bob: Thanks for the guide.

6. mathboy

mathboy New Member

7. ghosts

ghosts New Member

Alright, I did see those. I didn't notice the "ships: worldwide"; all I saw was the table with United States inside. Anyway, I've already stated that I wanted to check with you all here before buying, and I thanked you for the links. I feel like I'm being talked down to for no reason, so that will be all. Thanks again to everyone to helped.

8. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what we do here. You might get the information you want, but you'll feel really horrible about yourself for asking. If you stick around long enough they don't get any nicer, you just get used to it. Openly admitting that you're using a pirated copy of a game everyone here is a fan of (and some people have multiple copies of the game) isn't really endearing yourself to anyone.

Also, just buy the damn game somewhere. It's definitely worth the cash.

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Pirated copies of Arcanum killed Troika, if more people paid for it they'd still be making games today.

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I suspect that you and I have made up somewhat for that though. I have four copies sitting in my bookshelf.

If everyone did like we did, the jewel cases would indeed be made of jewels.

11. Vorak

If more people had bought the game like we did (I've actually lost count I've started hoarding them in a big box) then there would be a greater amount of the coveted fabric maps on the open market.

As it is I think I have the only one left.

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Vorak, let me know if you find another one.
    I'm not rich but I'd be interested in buying it.

13. Vorak

I'll let you know but I'm not hopeful. The map was in the original large box that came with a proper printed version of the manual and had the discs in a jewel case. Every copy I've seen since has been in a smaller 'budget' box with paper sleeves for the discs and electronic documentation.

If I do find one it'll be a bidding war between you and Dark Elf anyway, so rich or not I'll still make enough to retire.

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The really odd thing about it is that I have two of those boxes with printed manuals and all, there just weren't any maps.

15. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Yeah, it's especially odd since you both live in the same part of the world and everything.

16. Vorak

Don't even make a joke about DE and myself sharing a hemisphere, the consequences would be dire.

17. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I have one of the original large boxes (actually, it was my father's as he's the one who bought it, but as I stole it several years ago before I left for college it's mine now). Map and everything. It's really not that nice to be honest with you. But hey, it's a map! And it's got a quick-keys list on the back of it so you can remember which called shot does what!

18. Vorak

So you have the gloss map with the quick keys on the back?

I've got a smaller sheet of paper with the quick keys on it with no map and the map itself is screen printed onto a piece on linen.

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Nice. I'd rather have the cloth map than the crappy paper one. But really, it's just the outline of the continent with no cities on it or anything, not that spectacular at all. Still, it's the little stuff like that that makes certain games more endearing than others.

Our Host!