Michael Moore - Fights for the Truth or fills his purse?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DEATH AT THE DOOR, Jun 13, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

What do you think of Michael Moore?

1. A great man who reveals the truth in this dark world.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A fat, greedy, manipulative liar.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who is he?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

What do you think of Michael Moore.

There are always people who love him and some who trash him. The question is, what does the majority of people here think?

I just read on BBC News that he is about to make a movie about Tony Blair.
    So first US-bashing (Bowling for Columbine), then Bush-bashing (Farenheit 9/11) and soon Tony Blair-bashing.

IMHO, Moore is just trying to get rich from a popular topic. Not that his movies are 100% fabricated lies, but there are less truth than lies in his flicks. For instance, in Bowling for Columbine, you can often see cuts and what Moore says about Canada and Canadians is total bullshit (I hope I have more credibility than Moore because I live in Can ;)).

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i hate michael moore. Fish and i had a conversation about his the other day (yes, we actually discuss politics in our spare time), and he said moore is someone who would return your wallet if you dropped it, but as he handed it to you, he would scream "look at me!!! i'm returning his wallet!!! i'm so great!!!" and then demand a reward. it doesn't really matter if what he shows is truth or not, he's an asshole either way.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Moore should be jailed for his crimes against the genre of documentary cinema. First, he combines truth and fabrications in his movies, yet still calls them documentaries and claims that all is true. Second, the "Fahrenheit 9/11", timed for elections and targeting one man, turns documentary into an election device- throwing the documentary genre all the way back in time to Leni Riffenstahl's "Triumph of the Will".
    Him winning the Cannes festival award says nothing about his movie's quality. Instead, it speaks volumes about the jury :roll:

4. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

While I don't consider him to be an impartial observer, by any stretch, and while he does annoy me, I'm very interested in seeing Farenheit 9/11. I've heard that he raises some interesting points about how the administration handled the issue, and I'm not exactly pro Bush, so I doubt it would offend me. Plus Michael Moore trying to get Congressmen's sons to enlist sounds hilarious, as well as him going around in an icecream truck reading the Patriot Act. I'll see it and take everything it says with a grain of salt, but that doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.

5. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Well said, Snowmane. Although my personal point of view is closer to what Solaris said, I admit I was mildly amused when watching Bowling for Columbine for the first time.

In a nutshell, Moore is saying what everybody wants to hear, which explains the success of his books/movies. My problem with it is that too many people take those movies seriously which results in "Moore is the greatest thing which happened to Freedom of Speech" arguments.
    :/

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I haven't seen or read any of Michael Moore's stuff. There's no doubt he's a great self-promoter, but he also tends to be a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy. His supporters are die-hard left wingers who tend to be hypocritical in what (t)he(y) can do and what his detractors can't do, but the reverse is also true.

7. DEATH AT THE DOOR

8. Canis

Canis New Member

I've found that many of his fans are right-wingers who love him as a caricature of the left-wing loony.

Can't stand the man, myself. Even when he has a valid point about something he goes way too far to drive it home. At first I found him entertaining, but then he did this bit on one of his shows where he got the Bosnian and Serbian ambassadors embarrassedly to sing nursery rhymes together in an effort to show how well they could get along. It was then I began to suspect that perhaps Moore wasn't quite as witty or clever as I had previously thought. It's always the same: he has a point and he either ruins it through his antics or he ends up contradicting himself.

9. Settler

Settler Member

I'd just like to state my complete and utter neutrality on the whole Michael Moore issue. Thankyou.

10. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I think he is very biased, but very funny.

11. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I hate the bastard. I think he's full of shit. Anyone who is pro-gun control needs to be shot full of lead. With an illegal assault weapon, impractically set on fully automatic.

12. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

I say that we remove all laws, and make a single law for the whole fuckin country: "Survival of the Fittest" do you know how many fuck ups (like the fat fucks who sue McDonalds for being fat) that would get rid of?

13. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

No wonder he is pro-gun controll then. :D

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Then we're pretty much left with steroid taking meat heads as the majority of the male population, and everyone else in hiding. On the plus side though, you're dead :).

15. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Yes, because guns should be in the hands of ANY person who wants them! Assault weapons, dangerous? NEVER

16. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Yes! Everyone should have assault rifles! No! Better yet, everyone should have their own V2 Rockets! For personal defense from dangerous criminals!
    "That's a fucking anti-aircraft gun, Vincent"

17. DEATH AT THE DOOR

-- From here
    :lol:

BTW Snatch is a great movie.

18. Icairus

Icairus New Member

What the hell are you/that guy trying to say with that quote and that site. I can't figure out if it is satire or stating actual opinions in a humorous manner.
    Of course he's right on one thing

19. Settler

Settler Member

I...suppose I'm pro-gun control, to some degree - I would be totally, except for one reason, and I think Terry Pratchett put it best:

*wanders around bookshelves for a minute*

Okay, so much for that then...basically, if you put weapon controls in place, the only ones who will then keep weapons are the criminals. Catch 22 :).

20. DEATH AT THE DOOR

I think he (and not me) is just trying to give/quote biased opinions. Agree, Icairus, some of them are stupid, hence I hope for him if those aren't his ;).

Our Host!