Mastering Persuasion

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Akhorahil, Feb 18, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Akhorahil

Akhorahil New Member

Hi, i m in need of your help. i was playing arcanum for years and finish it plenty of time, now i m playing a good melee character with persuasion, i m expert in pers and master in both dodge and melee, i have a problem with mastering pers, i m speaking with edward willblabla (i dont remember his name) and ask him about unified kingdom and the caladon bussiness, he says that he is looking for a man with specific diplomatic skills but i cant get the quest. it s marked in my journal with black writing, i have full point in persuasion and 18 ch. what should i do to get this quest or how can i master my persuasion without this quest.

and i have a question about backstab. is this skill only activated with dagger or i can use it with a sword. whats the advantage?

thanks for your patience...

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

You have to convince the people of Ashbury to build a statue of whats-his-name first, go and talk to the mayor of Ashbury do his quest and then ask for master persuasion training.

From memory backstab applies a rather hefty damage bonus if you pull it off, to begin with you are restricted to daggers but as you increase your training using other weapons also gives the bonus.

3. Akhorahil

Akhorahil New Member

i see but i get master my skill before without the quest in ashbury.
    and sadly this time i get the quest and cant convinve the people of ashbury, i tried all the conversation alternatives but they found it ridiculous and hopeless :D

so its look like that i cant master my persuasion, right?

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

5. Akhorahil

Akhorahil New Member

8 :p
    not a brilliant one, i think low int is why i cant convince loghaire to be king again?

edit: but i tried with 11 int and didnt response, and get my save back! (for persuasion and loghaire things) and it s not about int i think because i mastered with low int before...

p.s: and is there some article about all quests and events etc. (i dont search for it maybe there is one sorry about that but if you just paste a link here i ll be very happy.

6. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

higher intelligence will allow you more dialogue lines, so i'd suggest going to a dungeon of some sort, and killing a whole bunch of monsters with your melee skill and then putting every xp point you get into intelligence. off you go...

7. Akhorahil

Akhorahil New Member

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    For the Ashbury quest, simply drink an Essence of Intellect and answer the questions before it wears off. And I believe you need to be an expert in backstab before you can have fun with axes and swords. I've never tried backstabbing with maces, but then again, a blunt object is quite difficult to stab someone with.

9. Wolfsbane

Quite so. Can't stab with blunt weapons.

And I'm not surprised that the Ashbury quest failed if your INT was as low as 8. You need a higher score to succeed. Persuasion goes well with INT.

10. silver

silver New Member

how does backstab work exacly? just fight as normal and ur damage with the dagger or sword will be more if u have more backstab skill?

11. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Backstab is supposed to give a damage bonus to your character if you attack from behind.

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    Just remember that backstab is nigh impossible to pull off in realtime. Turn-based is strongly advised.

13. silver

silver New Member

yeh turn based for sure.. ive only dabbled with that.. have always played real time.. turn based is 3 moves each or something yeh?

14. Wolfsbane

I started out playing real-time, but then I came to my sences and changed to turn-based. The tactical manouvers are too impressive to miss.

15. Grossenschwamm

Only if you're horrendously slow. Beef up your dexterity (and get a fast weapon) and you'll have enough action points to run circles around anybody.

16. silver

silver New Member

so dexterity determines how long u have on ur turn?

17. Grossenschwamm

Pretty much. Your dexterity ups your speed, to a point, so you'll get more action points to do your thing. A fast weapon also helps when you're attacking, because it'll use less points when you hit someone with it.
    Also, if your speed is higher, your attack speed goes up by default.

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    Any fighter character in turnbaed should have 20 DX to benefit from the +5 speed you get for reaching 20. Also, stuff like the potion of haste and the spells in the Temporal college are worth the effort if you can afford them. It can lead to almost ridiculous results such as slicing up an entire party of enemies before they even get to move.

19. Wolfsbane

Or killing a certain letdown necromancer in one round of combat...

20. Grossenschwamm

:lol:

They could've at least made hitting his body hurt the player in some way.

Our Host!