Mana? What is it? what is "TH"?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Howard Stern, Feb 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Howard Stern

Howard Stern Member

What is mana? How do I use it? When I equipped "mages dagger" that has mana I get a button at the bottom left of my screen that lights up with the spell symbol, when I click on it I see a counter that takes up my dialogue box, the counter shows zero. What do I with this how do i use it?

I also have a staff that increases my "TH" by 25, what is "TH"? It`s the staff of Xeneroth or something.

2. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

mana is magical energy that is consumed every time you use magic (cast spells), it is a common thing in almost every fantasy setting.

in arcanum when you cast spells, your fatigue (the big blue bar) will decrease until eventually it drops to 0 and you pass out.

when an equipped item has for example 50 mana, it means that every time you use it you get a boost to your own mana.

so if you have 40 mana of your own, and equip the Mage's Staff, you will end up with a 90 mana capacity. both the items mana and your own will recharge if given time.

i hope my english can be understood quite well. :D as for the TH, i really don't remember.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    TH = To Hit. It increases your chance to hit by 25%. And it's fast like hell.

4. Howard Stern

Howard Stern Member

When I equip Mage`s dagger, my fatigue doesn`t increase, currently 130 max. Does the mana in the equipped Mage`s dagger work to replenish my own fatigue with its own 10 points of mana when I fall below 130?

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The dagger has its own reserve that you use before you use your own mana, it should appear as a separate number where it usually says how many coins you have.

6. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Re: Mana

A while back I went through and blanked out the description file. That way when you hover over an item in inventory, it goes to the actual stats for that weapon or armor. I found lot's of mistakes.

Of course, it can't know what scripts take effect. So since helms reduce vision, it might say AC:2 DR:+3, but you'd need the line in the file to say that plus PE:-1 or something.

Anyway, I found that when weapons have mana store, it shows up in the bar that lists gold, arrows and bullets like was said (above). It turns out besides staffs and daggers, the Arcane Sword and Arcane Great Sword have Mana. This means if you are wielding one you get a big bonus to Mana. One of the things I've done is go through my file and add, "Mana: 20" or whatever as well as the minimum strength requirements.

Now I haven't found any mana bonuses from Armor this way. If there were any, I'd have to check the World Editor, or get suspicious by witnessing no fatigue loss. Of course, Mana store is used before fatigue in casting/maintaining spells.

I wanted to type about this a couple months ago, but couldn't find the thread about that description file. It might not be called description.

Our Host!