Male Half Elf - Restoring Human Character Model

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Torg, Oct 21, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Torg

Torg New Member

I noticed that the UAP changes the male half elf PC character model from the human player model to the elven model, and was just wondering whether there's any quick and easy way to restore the human model without getting rid the patch, or downloading an older version. I recently re-installed the game after many years, and was looking to try a half elf character this time 'round, but that elven player model is just so damned ugly, it almost makes me want to forgo the whole thing (and besides, in the race description it says that half-elves resemble their human parents more closely in build than their elven parents).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Notice though how before the UAP a half-elf PC was the only half-elf with a human sprite in the whole game world.

For the game to be coherent with the image of its races, it was either doing what Drog did or changing every single half-elf NPC's sprites from elven to human.

[​IMG]

3. Torg

Torg New Member

Hey, I ain't complainin', and I'm sure once I play through it, I'll be able to say that the UAP a considerable improvement -- but in this particular case, I just can't stand playing with such an ugly looking character model, even if it is inconsistent, and even if the rest of my character's race is condemned to such fate. It's a personal preference. Call it an idiosyncrasy if you like.

And just to clarify, when I asked, I was asking whether there's any way I can change it in my own game. I wasn't demanding that the whole mod be changed, or anything like that. But is there any file I can quickly open up and tamper with to change it for myself?

Anybody?

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Alternatively, you could start a new game as a human and [1] change your race to half-elf using Virgil's Debug Menu. The result would be a half-elf with human sprites. Racial bonuses and penalties will apply automatically.

If you'd want to use a half-elf portrait rather than a human one, you'd have to [2] add an appropriate bitmap and modify create/userport.mes so you'd be able to choose the half-elf portrait while creating a human PC.

If you'd want to use a background that is available to half-elves but unavailable to humans, you'd have to [3] make the half-elf background available to humans in backgrnd.mes.

Hell, if you'll tell me which portrait and background you plan to use, I can take care of [2] and [3] for you. All you'd have to do is download Virgil's Debug Menu (available here) and change your race from human to half-elf via dialogue with Virgil right after you meet him at the Crash Site.

5. Torg

Torg New Member

Much obliged, thanks. I've actually started playing with a different character in the meantime, but I may go back, or try the half-elf later.

I managed to get the useport.mes thing working with a crappy test portrait I drew up in paint, but do you happen to know how to find the original portrait art among the game files?

Nah, it doesn't matter what the rest of the world looks like; I just can't stand my own character looking like some namby-pamby elf.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

They can be found in arcanum3.dat/portrait/

7. Torg

Torg New Member

And do you happen to know what program to use to get these .dat files open (I don't know all that much about computers)?

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

There's a program called Arcanun. Pretty sure it comes with a disk install of Arcanum, but if not we may have it in the downloads section.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

10. Torg

Torg New Member

You're a king among men, thanks.

11. Torg

Torg New Member

While I'm already here, how do I safely re-insert backgrnd.mes after I've extracted it and made changes? I've already had to reinstall Arcanum once after screwing around with DATBuilder (doing something else), and I'd rather not risk it on my own again...

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

All you have to do is place the modified backgrnd.mes in Arcanum/data/rules/ (create the folder if necessary). If an appropriate file is in an appropriate folder in Arcanum/data/, the game uses it instead of the one from the dat files.

13. Torg

Torg New Member

Bit hesitant to revive the thread, but thanks, again.

14. Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme New Member

Hate to necro a thread, but I'm having trouble getting a hold of the DATbuilder. For some reason, the download link given doesn't actually drop the file at the end of the advertisement. Thanks in advance for reading :)

Our Host!