Making Virgil forget that he can heal...

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Mr.Moe, Jul 27, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

I tried several stuff, unpacking those dat files, changing his follower scheme.
    Using the arcanum edit and follower edit tool BUT
    I cant make him forget, and I want to play a tech playthru without virgil fainting all the time, while he tries to heal the group.

So can somebody, anybody change the appropriate file or edit my lvl 1 savegame?
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-460 ... ve.7z.html

I would be much obliged

Edit: I'm using the latest unofficial patch, I think that messes with the editor so that it cant find virgil in my party...

2. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Can't you simply ask him not to heal you with in-game dialogue?

3. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

This isnt possible, is it ? Theres an ingame option, but it just works for his lockpicking iirc ?

Edit: Just checked, havent found any option like that in the dialog.

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

5. Nataku

Nataku Member

You can probably change Virgil's IA, IA change if the npc is "inclined to" cast spells or not.
    Another solution is to reduce his intelligence : he can't spell cast with less that 6 in intelligence.
    Another solution is to change his scheme PLUS unclick "minor healing" in his spell (before he knows the spell at the beginning independently of his model).
    But there are probably a lot of others solutions.

6. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Any hints for a practical approach on your hints, Nataku ?

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Changing his leveling scheme won't help (because the leveling scheme only matters when an NPC levels up in-game).

Use the save editor.

8. Nataku

Nataku Member

For changing the IA, there is a slot named "AI data" on worldEd (in the left inferior corner on the npc's edit screen). Then there is in rules the file "ai_params" which can create new AI.
    For intelligence, you just edit Virgil's skill on WorldEd
    For unclick "minor healing", you edit Virgil in WorldEd then you choose "spell" and there is a cross on "minor healing". Just click on it to remove it. (Changing the scheme is important because if you don't change it, he will learn minor healing when he will normally lear Halt Poison)

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Get him really drunk.

Though I'm joking, using enough wine on him to make his intelligence drop below five would actually work. Not a very practical solution, but fun. Also he would be less hopelessly weak.

10. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

For using the world editor on virgil I have to undat the dat files first?
    Or am I missing an option where I can browse NPC?

I've zero experience with the WorldEditor btw :p

///
    I edited Virgils levelup scheme to:
    {91}Virgil {anatomical 1, chemistry 1, therapeutics 1, melee 4, dodge 4, Heal 4, dx 12, st 10, anatomical 2, chemistry 2, therapeutics 2, melee 12, dodge 12, Heal 12, st 14, dx 14, anatomical 3, chemistry 3, therapeutics 3, melee 16, dodge 16, Heal 16, st 16, dx 16, anatomical 5, chemistry 5, therapeutics 5, melee 20, dodge 20, Heal 20, st 20, dx 20, MaxHPS 400}

But somehow he skills firearms and electronics, whereas theres no mention of it :(
    Also I set the AI for him that he has a healing chance of 0, but he still manages to do so.
    I edited the arcanum5.dat

11. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Tried again to tweak his AI, the first time I set the 3rd and 4th last value to 0, now to -1000
    still not disabled.

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Alcohol will raise a character's strength temporarily, but it also lowers dexterity...I can see myself my point is moot. What good is strength if he never lands a hit?

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Wanted to remove Virgil's initial healing spell from the savegame with a character editor, but I don't trust the site. Asks for telephone numbers and whatnot. Upload to a different site, for example Mediafire.

14. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I see what the problem is. The character editor may have trouble identifying newly acquired followers right away. Try using it again once your character and Virgil level up, pretty sure it will properly find him then. Worked for me.

16. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Yeah, thats it :D
    Thanks a lot, now I only have to figure out whats wrong with my custom virgil scheme :p

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Alternatively, you can download this and following the instructions from this thread, remove Virgil's levelling scheme altogether and allocate his character points manually whenever there's a level up.

18. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Thats feasible, thanks again Muro

I found some problem in my big scheme, making Virgil more tech oriented - he has no tech menu where he can create things

When I teach him backstab, can he use this skill properly ?

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

If you want Virgil to be able to create items for you, look up this thread.

Followers aren't very good at backstab. Backstab is a passive skill which works when you hit an enemy from behind. To utilise it to its fullest, a backstabber would be wise to attack from behind while remaining unnoticed (either high prowling or stunning the enemy recommended) to receive the x5 backstab bonus damage multiplier.

Followers with their AI won't do this by themselves, and while it can be done to an extent with ordering followers around, I reckon it would be most frustrating and not worth the required effort.

20. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Took the ####virgil.dlg file from arcanum5.dat, exchanged the tell me about you line with "{What sort of things can you make for me, Virgil?}{}{5}{wa 0}{}{su}"
    Throwing it back into the data/dlg folder - voilĂ 

Soo happy now :)

Our Host!