Magick/Tech Loophole

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by TONGSyaBASS, Aug 12, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

If you are a mage, wearing tech items increases your chance to critically fail. However if you never use a weapon and just cast spells all the time then surely this critical fail chance doesn't matter?
    The moral of the story: If you use nothing but spells you can get away with wearing tech armour.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Shouldn't this be in the "Tips and Tricks" section? Anyway, yes it would seem you could get away with it but is it not possible that the people at Troika actually saw this coming and implented penalties to your magic if you wear tech equipment?

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Besides, mages get great bonuses with magic armour.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Not to mention that the magickal Dread Armor gives the absolute highest weight-to-protection ratio in the game.

5. Maximus

Maximus New Member

How about tech characters with magic armor? From what I can tell there's no real penalty unless you've got tech stats through the roof.

6. Vorak

Magic armour on tech character doesn't have the bonuses, so for example; A set of Arcane Robes on a technologist provides the same protection as a set of normal robes. Whereas on a powerful mage you gain a 50+ bonus to all resistances except damage.

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Well, if you're a super-mage wearing tech armor, then when you are hit by an enemy you can have a critical failure of your armor. Of course, if you're a super-mage and anyone touches you, it's your own fault.

8. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I'm fairly certain this is not the case.
    Basically there are 3 outcomes from casting an offensive spell:
    Succeeds
    Fails due to magick resistance of critter
    Fails due to tech aptitude of critter

I had always assumed this too but when I actually investigated it seems that criticals apply only to weapons. So if your tech plate gives you +50% critical failure, it means that you are 50% more likely to fail with your *weapon*.
    (If someone knows otherwise then please point me to the evidence).

A lot of the time this hardly seems to matter.
    e.g. if you have a high melee skill you might have a 1% chance of critically failing.
    1 + 50% = 1.5
    So it doesn't make much difference.
    If you are a melee master then you cannot get critical misses so it has no effect whatsoever on you.

9. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Hmmm...so, that's what's been doing it, then.
    Is there a script to show how your armor breaks on a critical miss as opposed to your weapon?
    I was playing as a very magickal character (aptitude around 90), and I had been using the charmed axe while wearing electro-armor.
    The character had a critical failure while attacking, not being attacked, and the armor broke. In this way, I think the armor has critical failures, but not in the same way as weapons would. For example, if something would normally damage your armor by ten HPs, the critical failure would up it to thirty.
    Of course, it's almost never happened to me, maybe once or twice at the most. Still notable.

10. Vorak

I've had everything except jewelery damaged due to critical failures, with gloves being the rarest to be damaged.

11. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I'm not sure about that Gross.
    When you have a critical failure with a weapon you can hit yourself. I think depending on where this self-hit is on the critical chart you can destroy your own armour. But that is just an educated guess.

Our Host!