Magic Mastery Mayhem

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Yuki, Aug 15, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Is there a way I can become a master of more than one spell college in Tulla? (Through glitches or modding?)

2. Crypton

Crypton Member

Yes, its possible. I can look at it, and tell you how to do it, if you really need it. :thumbup:

(It would probably only require to modify game saves, which is easy...)

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

You said you could help but didn't really offer any? Classy. And;
    Crypton, are you sure you're asexual?

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Magic mastery is stored as one byte in the PC object, which means two things:
    1) You can't master more than one college of magic.
    2) NPCs can't master any college at all, as they're lacking this object field.

The byte is set to -1 when no college is mastered, and 0 to 15 if you have a mastery (there 16 colleges of magic in total). As an aside note, the scripting system can set the mastery only once, as it ignores this command if the byte is already set to something other than -1.

5. Crypton

Crypton Member

She only questioned the possibility. That's why I haven't provided any real solution.

Anyway, if it's not possible to hack it in game saves, nor scripts, then the other way would be hacking the executable file. This might cause some other bugs in gameplay logic, but they can be fixed as well.

The question still remains: Why would anyone want such mod?

I haven't though about that, but I did checked the structure of player's object, and I couldn't find any college variable. There are fate flags and background variable, maybe it's saved in one of those?

I'm not sure about this one, since I don't have the spell system fully implemented in the OpenArcanum yet.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Potential bugs in gameplay logic during the whole game so that a mage can have cheaper spells while fighting through the last two locations which, especially for a mage, are a breeze anyway?

7. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Well, if you go and pickpocket all the Master's Medallions, then do the test, it will at least give you journal entries proclaiming you master of all the schools. :/

Our Host!