lukas at the bridge

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by soggybottom boy, Sep 26, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. soggybottom boy

soggybottom boy New Member

Just getting started with the game. Made a dwarf and probably didn't assign points as best as I could have. Put points in melee, haggle, gamble, dex, and firearm tech. Since then have gotten to level five and am an apprentice in melee, haggle, and firearm with additional CP's in herbology 1, HP's FP, dex. The goal was to make a tough dwarf with a specialty in firearms. However, firearms seem weak. The firing rate doesn't seem real to how quickly enemies close the distance. Anyone have comments on this. I'd appreciate it as yes, I'm new to the game and the forum.

The main reason for the post is I'm having an awful time getting rid of lukas and his two goons with myself and virgil. It seems they run up to you, punch a couple of times, and your fatigue is gone. fight over, what to do???

2. Ghost-face

Ghost-face New Member

I did the exact same thing. My first character was a dwarf specializing in firearms. I got him up to expert before facing the bandits at the bridge and still was toasted everytime. Here are a couple suggestions:
    1. If you can, have Sogg join your party. He's a big half-ogre and provides the extra muscle needed to deal with those guys.

2. Invest a few points into molotov cocktails and throw. Both fuel and rags are in abundance. Lob a few of those babies at the bandits and they're toast.

3. Aldin

Aldin New Member

firearms get MUCH more powerful later, keep pressing on. The time people take to reach you IS unrealistically short :sad: As far as Lukan goes, a point of persuasion lets you talk your way past, the grenades you found in the first cave will help you fight your way past or just pay him and come back later to kick the snot out of him.
    ~Aldin

4. soggybottom boy

I did manage to take them out with just myself and virgil. It was very tough and virgil finished the fight alone as I was collapsed. I was a spectator in my own game cheering for virgil. As far as just paying him now and fighting him later, where do you come up with 1000 gold. every task I've performed so far seems to yield about 50 gold.

5. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

"Constable Owens needs you to remove the thieves from the bridge."

When you first enter Shrouded Hills, you will see Constable Owens standing near the well. Talk to him and ask him what you can see here in Shrouded Hills. Ask him what is the quickest way out of town. He will tell you that the only way out of Shrouded Hills is through the bridge north east from here. It is heavily guarded by a thief named Lukan and his two henchmen. He needs you to get rid of the thief Lukan and he will reward you 50 coins. Insult him how cheap he is and his reaction towards you will decreased by 5. Tell him that he's a coward and his reaction towards you will decrease by 10.

Walk north east pass the Wise Lady and meet Lukan. Now, how to get rid of Lukan. You cannot get rid of Lukan by flattering him about his vocabularies or he being witless or his strong henchmen. So stop click those dialogues. If your objective is to get the key, then pickpocket him and get the keys. Easy as a pie! If your purpose is to have more experience points, gain alignment, finish this quest, gain items, then I suggest you kill Lukan. If you have high persuasion skills, probably level 1, you can convince him to let you pass the bridge by telling him you are also a thief. Here's a dialogue:

http://arcanum.netfirms.com/Others/Quests/1032.shtml

6. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I just blow up the bridge materials. Quick, simple, doesn't affect my rep TOO much.
    BUt it's evil.
    ANd Constable Owens won't invite you to his birthday party.

7. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

You will get a bad reputation until you killed more than 4 guards.

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

owens can invite you to a party or is that a joke?

9. villageidiot

villageidiot New Member

That's a joke, Constable Owens is suspicious of you if you trash the bridge materials and he won't talk to you about further quests (ie: killing lukan, fixing steam engine). I had a real doozie of a time killing Lukan my first time around. I built myself around 7 spike traps, laid them out in front of the bridge, tossed a grenade at them, then had to beat them the rest of the way to death. It was pretty funny though.

10. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

"In order to join the thieves, you must destroy the construction materials for the new bridge."

If you talk to Constable Owens first and Lukan finds out about this, you will never get this quest. If he doesn't finds out about your affiliation with Constable Owens, you can have this quest. Also, if you talk to Lukan first before Constable Owens, you will definitely get this quest.

First, I would like to question the concept of this quest. When I talked to Lukan, he gave me the story about the bridge materials. He said that if I want to cross that bridge, I need to destroy the bridge materials. This bridge materials are needed by the people at Shrouded Hills so they can make another bridge and so not to depend or pay Lukan for the toll fee. Question: How did the bridge materials ever got pass Lukan? Another passage / bridge? Then why not the people of Shrouded Hills cross that other passage? And if these construction materials were delivered by passing through the bridge, why didn't he destroy the materials himself? There is probably a reasonable answer to this. Probably...

Let's continue with the quest, these bridge materials is located north east of the Shrouded Hills Inn and south west of the bridge. You can destroy it manually (see tips for more info) or you can use dynamites or any other exploding device that can do damage. After destroying all three items, go back to Lukan. Here's a dialogue. You can stop the dialogue by choosing the last option (actually, twice only).

http://arcanum.netfirms.com/Others/Quests/1033.shtml

11. Dakun

Dakun New Member

AL

The material is on the near side of the river.. it didn't get past lukan. don't know how you can build a bridge from only one side of a river.. but whatever (swim?)

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

ask the faires and naked halflings on the otherside

13. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Yes, I know the materials is there but where did they get it from? Other places outside this small community I suppose. Then they need to get past Lukan.

14. nobody2751

nobody2751 New Member

i killed those thieives at the bridge using a dynamite....i just blasted the two to(dynamite) pieces and having the last one "run down" by all of us, is not a waste to use the dynamite this early? ( i killed all of them when i was just lv3.

15. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Jus notice the wrong spelling for "Lukan". Never mind.

16. Rojo

Rojo New Member

well,

The first thing I did (human) was to kill some more wolves in the crash site, then dump a point into force magick and get shield of protection...though being a Dwarf, I suppose that doesn't help any :razz:

Best bet is likely with the molotovs if you want to keep your alignment.
    (I'm on my fourth time through the game and I still havn't played as a techie...hehe)

17. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

huh?

18. soggybottom boy

how do you blow up the dynamite. I can set it down but I don't know how to detonate. Is there a fuse/trigger you need to go with the dynamite.

19. Rojo

Rojo New Member

Yup

Friend_Al_23:

Was just saying what I had to do to get past them. The long passage at the crash site that leads out has a large number of wolves...used them for experience to get points for magick shield of protection. Had to use that so the two ogres wouldn't horribly beat me to death with about 3 punches. I was as level 4, I think.

20. Rebby_ra

Rebby_ra New Member

how to get past the bridge

invest your exp, so you can make a
    well ballenced sword. give one to Virgil and one to you an just hack your way through.

Our Host!