Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by friend_al_23, Dec 7, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Did he sell it? I thought he just left it, and the Sackville-Bagginses just moved in, because they felt they should own everything Bilbo owned, and not Frodo.

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

In "The Hobbit," they just move in because they thought Bilbo was gone for good. But in "The Fellowship of the Rings," Gandalf said to him that nobody must know about those things he said so he need to stay low or something like that. So he started slowly and took several years for the preparation including selling "The Shire" to those rude Sackville-Bagginses. Frodo started moving his things with the help of his friends. He aquired a house at... ahm... I forgot where exactly but that is how I know it.

3. Settler

Settler Member

I cant't seem to find RotK right now, but I'm pretty sure that Frodo waits 17 years - from 3001 to 3018 (when most of the book takes place).

Good point about the box, F - they're going to have to...

a) Find some new magic/item for the regrowth...(Denethor's ashes :grin: ?)
    b) Ship the destruction altogether (not everything, just the destruction of the forests). That means no Magic Tree (tm), I can't remember the name.
    c) Keep the destruction, but skip straight to the Havens OR the final scene. Still no Magic Tree (tm).

What's the point in leaving out these tiny details? An extra 15 seconds won't do much to a 3-hour film...

4. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

When Bilbo left, Frodo was 33. When Frodo left Shire, he was 50. Yes, 17 years.

Ents are what you call the tree-like creature and their leader I think is Treebeard or Fangorn.

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I don't even know why they decided to make the film so short! I mean, Dances with Wolves was 4 hours long, and easily got away with it. I don't think LotR would have had a problem with being 4 hours long, and many people would like it a lot more, since it would be truer to the book.

6. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Proabaly just to sell the extras dvd. No, i think it has something to do with the general stupid crowd who think that a movie without a killing every five minutes sucks.

7. xento

xento New Member

What kind of audience wants that??!! :D

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

9. xento

xento New Member

Does it hurt, Etalis?

The crippling knife stuck up your butthole, I mean.

Naw, it doesn't hurt much. Not when I have awesome friends such as yourself to take most of the pain for me! :D

10. Settler

Settler Member

Not the Ents...the tree that Sam plants after the Scouring of the Shire, with Galadriel's dust/powder/soil. Something about gold? The Golden Tree, maybe?

11. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

A mellorn. I could be spelling it wrong, but it's something along those lines. I wonder how they're going to fix that? The Scourging of the Shire is one of the most important chapters. But Galadriel didn't even give Sam the box. I guess all we can do is hope that in RotK they figure out how to work it in.

12. xento

xento New Member

I agree that they didn't do a very good job with the movies. I think they should start over and do them again from the start, or releace a second edition movie for the first with all the parts of the books included and build on from there.

13. Settler

Settler Member

(SNOWMANE)

THEY CAN'T. I can't imagine any 'quick fix' that would make taking the box out okay.

BTW, can someone tell me what's in the extended edition of FotR (especially extra scenes)?

14. xento

xento New Member

I'm not sure, but I think that the extended version is the full footage from the LotR movie. If you didn't notice, they cut out a whole bunch of scenes. I think the extended version adds those scenes back in where they belong.

15. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I realize that they probably won't do anything late in the movie, but I wish they would. That's one of my favorite chapters, and I'd hate to see it completely gone/changed beyond all regonition.

In the extended version, they have a different opening in the Shire scene, the Galadriel gift giving scene, the battle in Moria and the battle of Amon Hen have been extended, they extended the scene of going into Lothlorien and talking to Galadriel, there are a few more short scenes in, such as Aragorn singing and talking to Elrond. What else.... they extended the scene where they are under Bilbo's trolls for a few seconds, they extended the bit where Isildur has the ring and gets shot, they showed how Aragorn got that cool dagger, they showed more traveling. I think that's about it, but I'm not quite sure. At any rate, it's quite good, and I'd highly recommend it.

16. xento

xento New Member

All that for only 30 minutes? Hmm... the "extended scenes" must be pretty short.

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Wow! What a totally unfeasible, unrealistic and retarded idea!

You CAN'T do a direct conversion from book to movie, it just wouldn't work. Some parts of the book were insanely boring, and wouldn't make good movie time, so they cut it out. No point in filming boring pointless stuff. If you want it, read the book again.

Besides, there's only so much they can fit inside one movie, and a wholly faithful conversion would just be overly long and wouldn't be half as good as the movie they put out. Personally, I think that Peter Jackson did a great job with FotR, and only brought the most important and essential parts of the book to life.

18. xento

xento New Member

Which is precisely why they wont ever make a film about your life!

You mean you have the right to a personal opinion?
    I don't think it is mentioned that Jarinors can speak their minds in any laws.... Something is totally wrong here!

Actually, if he did such a good job, why did he cut out so many important parts, like Sam's gift?

19. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I do think that Peter Jackson did a great job. He did take out a lot of the stuff that just didn't translate well to movies. He didn't take out a lot of major things, the only thing major that he took out was Sam's gift. Other than that (which I am confused about because it is important) I think he did it wonderfully. I'm sure I couldn't do it even half as well as he did!

20. xento

xento New Member

Which may partly be because you aren't educated as a film director.

Our Host!