Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by friend_al_23, Dec 7, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Better that then trying to use a corpse as an actor.

2. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

It's just a shame that Gimli dies in The Two Towers. I wish he didn't die.

3. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Gimli doesn't die in the book... did they change it in the movie?

:thinkof:

4. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Yes, in the movie, Legolas is jealous of Gimli 'cause Gimli killed more orcs than him, so he let fly an arrow at Gimli, just to scare him, but the arrow strikes him dead in the neck, killing him.

They said the reason they did this, was that the actor that plays Gimli wasn't able? wasn't willing? didn't want to? finish the role, so he suggested this little plot change, so, rather than get another actor to finish the role of Gimli, Peter Jackson just decided to cut the role out.

Sucks, doesn't it?

5. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Where did you read that? I don't believe that he'd do that....

or am I being tricked? Huh? Huh?

6. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Lemme check to see if I can find the site I found it at. Really, really sucks ass...

7. xento

xento New Member

Maybe because, in LotR I, he looks really stupid when he says "I'll be dead before I see the ring in the hands of an elf!", and spits all over his bear/mustashe. Funny, but stupid. It is rather obvious in my opinion... Maybe everyone is teasing him about it... :D

Seriously, though, they shouldn't start a movie until they are SURE the cast will go all the way. In fact, they should sign a legal contract that, unless something physically happens, the actor will continue playing the part until it is finished. None of this stupid garbage!

Legolas and Gimili are close friends! That is a big part of the story!

8. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Maybe you are seeing the commercial for the second sequel "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets." According to the production crew, they won't start filming the next movie until January 2003.

9. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Snowmane, nbrosz, you can relax. I was just jerking your chains. Gimli doesn't die, at least not by an arrow from Legolas. Just having a bit of the ol bob your uncle.. ........That didn't come out right.

10. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Aha! I knew it! And I still got very nervous! Curse you, retard! :( I feel so gullible...

-sniff sniff-

On a side note... "ol bob your uncle"?

11. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Gandalf dies, though. He catches venereal disease from Aragorn. Unforunately, despite their powerful magic, the Elves have yet to discover the magic of anti-biotics, so the Wizard suffers a long and agonising death. Needless to say, Sauron laughs his arse off at this, and can be heard chanting homophobic taunts during Gandalf's last few scenes. It's all very moving.

12. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

And you don't want to know where Aragorn got his venereal disease from....... Ok, I'll tell you. It seems that a certain little hobbit named Frobo or Afro or Dodo, or something like that, anyway, he's like the most like lead character, like. Anyway, he went slumming one night, and presto!! Venereal disease. I think that's probably why Afro lives the whole story. Sauron is scared to touch him. Sauron, "I ain't touchin' that shit!"

13. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I think Afro originally got it form Bilbo, who got it from fiddling with Gollum's ring.

14. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I just hope that Legolas is able to keep his gayness in check, or he will be infected too. He better not fool with Gimli, I heard that the dwarf has genital warts.

15. xento

xento New Member

You were just pulling my let???!!! :x

Naw, it's okay! :D

16. Settler

Settler Member

:-o

...Um...

...On a different note, what do you (READ: LotR fans) think of the changes in LotR: FotR? Three that I can think of...

1. More Arwen: I was against this at first...then I bothered reading the appendix at the back of RotK - good adaption to the movie medium.

2. Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli (mainly A) knowing exactly what happens to Frodo and Sam near Rauros: I was against this as well, but it's not really as significant as I thought - basically Aragorn coming to the same conclusion earlier.

3. Isildur lopping off multiple fingers of Sauron (instead of just one): Not really vital to the plot, but it annoys me just the same - what's the point in changing it? Gollum mentions somewhere-or-other that "He has only four fingers on the Black Hand, but that is enough (in Gollum-speak)". A nice parallel between Sauron and Frodo, two major ringbearers, each having the Ring removed by force (their finger ).

Anything else?

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I like the fact that they didn't film the Tom Bombadil scenes...that part of the book just pissed me off incredibly. Boring and no real reason for it's existence.

18. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I have to agree with you there. TB just pissed me off, although it did spoil the story a little bit, like how and where they got Bill the donkey.

I'm a bit diappointed that they missed out the barrow though, as thet is where Merry and Pippin got their ancient Elven shortswords (what where they called? Slayer and Slasher?) rather than simply being given them by Galadriel.

Also, even though the extended version (yes, I got the extended DVD. MUCH better) included Galadriel's gifts, they missed out the gift of soil to Sam. Doesn't that automatically screw up a major part of the end chapter?

19. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

That was probably the only thing that really pissed me off. The box that she gives Sam in the book is so important in the end. Why did they change that? I wonder what they'll do now.... I saw no reason to change that, and now the end is going to be majorly screwed up. (I agree Ferret, the extended version is much better.)

Settler, you forgot that they changed the time. In the book, I think 30-50 (can't quite remember right now...) years go by before Frodo actually leaves.

20. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

What I know is Frodo left when he was 50 years of age after selling their house to Sackville-Bagginses.

Our Host!