Let's Reason With The Fundies!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frigo, Apr 15, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

2. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

I wonder if that guy actually realised he was being watched and one of his friends sent that in for him.

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

You're a fundie yourself. Granted not as bad as these ones though.

"One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: unless there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it. [emphasis added]"

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Not to mention that this guy confuses information entropy, physical entropy and evolutionary fitness.

5. mathboy

mathboy New Member

He shouldn't try to use thermodynamics to disprove evolution because he doesn't understand them, kind of like you shouldn't use the quote in your signature to disprove the Bible because you don't understand it.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Please forgive my blatant ignorance. I'd very much appreciate to know what is wrong in Frigo's signature.

Admittedly, I do not fully understand the concept of the Trinity, other than that the Godhead comprised by the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost are semi-separate entities yet part of the same, like the leaves of a shamrock as Saint Patrick put it.

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

8. Xz

It's just that the Pope doesn't want to admit that Christendom is a poly-theistic religion.

I don't know why though, 'cause in my head a polytheistic religion is no less respectable than a monotheistic religion, but then again I don't like any religion particularly well.

9. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Gee, I never would have thought that until you said it!

10. Xz

Hey, there are a lot of religions I've never bashed. :p

11. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

the only beef i have with this thread is the confusion of fundamentalists and regular religious people. extreme anything is bad, mkay? contrary to popular forum belief, it is possible to believe in God and not be completely insane.

12. Xz

Who said anything about religious people being insane?

Personally I can't understand why they would believe in such a thing as a god, but as long as they don't shove it in my face they can believe whatever they want. :)

13. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Frigo did; look at the first post. Saying that all religious people are like that is downright ridiculous.

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Just as rosie said, extremists of any stripe are usually bad. It would have been much better if Frigo had taken out a few select points from the list he linked to and proved them false as a subject to debate rather than implying that all religious people are like that, which of course is false.

15. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Well can we say that all the religious people I know are damned lunatics?

(This may be because I have a strange tendancy to only have Irish Catholics as friends)

16. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Your population segment being thus flawed, your data is irrelevant. However, that said, it is possible to have faith in something you can't prove while rationally understanding that certain behaviors or actions are only justifiable AT ALL when based upon the premise of provable evidence, murder for example. If you kill someone because of a fact known to you, or reasonably supposed to you, then it may or may not be justified, depending upon the nature of the fact. Self-defense, for example, is justified. He was sleeping with my wife, unjustified, but mitigating. If you kill someone because God told you to... that's never justified because you can't even prove God exists, nor that he would bother speaking with you.

17. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Man thats so damn funny! Makes you want to tear your clothes of and scream until all of humanity is dead. In a funny kind of way.

18. Silvara

Silvara New Member

It's funny... until it dawns on you that people really say those things. Then it gets sort of depressing.
    And frigo, could you please do something about your signature? It's gotten way too big, and it's annoying.

19. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

His sig is well within the 800 character limit. But, I think he's the only one who comes close to breaking it.

20. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Better ?

Our Host!