Ladies and gentlemen, your desktop themes please.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Aug 31, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    My ancient CRT finally received an honourable discharge after many a long year of service, of which the last few have admittedly been rather on the blurry side of things, and bought myself a proper 22' flatscreen.

To celebrate this grand event, I decided at long last to adorn my digital arrangement with a proper Steampunk theme.

[​IMG]

Should anyone have pictures to share of their own amazing contraptions, please do.

Unfortunately, it appears I cannot spot my new cursor in that picture.

2. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I'm using the fact that you can change desktop background every ten seconds in Windows and therefore I'm switching between 60 greats wallpapers.

3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Mine's just plain black. Where'd you get that steampunk theme?

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

What's your SC2 character code, dude? I'm Grakelin 621

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    But what is the point of changing mere wallpapers when the menus remain the same? Without the proper trimmings a wallpaper is but a Potemkin village.

To edit themes in Vista, you need a program called WindowBlinds, of which I have a 30 day trial, a fact which I will try to circumvent with freeware options should any exist.

Once I had the program, I simply clicked on "Get more skins" and was directed to a page called WinCustomize.

My username is Rasclomalum, but I do not have a proper copy of the game yet (thanks to the postal service, long story). I will make sure to notify you once I am up and running though.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My desktop is the only space I seem to be able to keep clean and organised. Mostly because it doesn't get dusty, I guess. That, and the fact that I can always mark all of the excessive content that infiltrates the desktop from who-knows-where and throw it into the bottomless "Stuff" folder. Now that place is a mess if I've ever seen one.

Cursors are immune to Print Screen, those bastards.

7. magikot

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You have Heroes 2, the best in the serious in my opinion Muro. Hey Grakelin I'd tell you to add me but Australian players are stuck in the SEA region. Luckily Blizzard noticed that was stupid because we do everything with NA so they will allow us to switch to that region soon.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Heroes 2 is the best thing to ever happen the turnbased strategy genre.

Unfortunately, this also means that the HOMM series has seriously declined with later installments.

Anyway, the link to the cursor I am using.

10. magikot

You guys suck for changing my original comment...

Even though it still says the same thing.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Heroes 2 has a great sentimental value for me - being one of the first games in my life and all - but when it comes to rating the joy from playing a game nowadays, my personal ranking is 3 > 4 > 2 > 1.

H3 took everything that was best in H2 and improved that which could still be improved. It provided access to 9 different yet balanced castles, introduced a better magic system and a better artifact system, provided the joy of assembling artifacts and wrapped it all up in even more beautiful graphics. The final effect was one of those games which are flawless, perfect in their genres and simply impossible to beat.

I'm not among those which say that H4 was a disgrace for the series. I find playing it a quite enjoyable but simply different type of experience. Can't say I'm surprised 3DO decided to try an innovative route with that one - after H3 there wasn't much room for improvement so the only available fates for a sequel was either being worse or different. And so it is different and fun to play too, especially when one does his best not to compare it to the previous games, trying to imagine it as an independent game instead. It also wins my personal "best soundtrack in the series" award.

Can't say much about H5, not having the opportunity to play it just yet.

And here I was wondering if the Easter Egg will be noticed at all.

Nobody edited your post. It's just how things work around here. Press Post Reply, type in "Hеllbokos", press Preview and see for yourself.

12. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

In my opinion, H4 is the worst in the series. True, it has some interesting and funny aspects, but I find H5 more entertainging.

H3 is of course the best of them, since it's H2 improved.

I have not yet had the pleasure to play H1 though, so I can't comment on that one.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    I should perhaps add at this point that I still play Heroes 2 and 3 quite often, and was actually beaten in the second installment by my brother and his 22 black dragons this very evening. A few Phoenixes and Bone Dragons fared badly against that.

I'm torn as to whether 2 or 3 is the best game in the series. It depends on my mood really. Heroes 2 is more simplistic, but then again, sometimes that's exactly what you need.

Surprisingly, I sometimes feel that Heroes 4 is the best game to play solo. The music, being partly the same score used in Warlords Battlecry 2, is simply enchanting, and I actually like the roleplayish character advancement. I find it inferior to its prequels in multiplayer though.

Heroes 5 I never liked at all, and Heroes 1 is basically just Heroes 2 without the good stuff, but the character models make me laugh and that's why I still fire it up about once a year or so.

14. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I had an Ultima desktop theme on my old computer, perhaps I should do that again on this one as well.

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I lost my cd for Heroes 2, it makes me sad every time I fire up Heroes 5 because I know its a far superior game. Black Dragons are just so much better than Titan simply because of the magic immunity.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    In Heroes 2 they also inflict superior damage and have the ability to attack two creatures granted they're close enough together. In Heroes 3 Titans do more damage than Dragons, but I still think the odds are slightly in favor of the wyrms if only due to the magic immunity. Implosion is simply an insane spell in that game.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

18. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

HOMM4 would be great if a crowded ranged unit couldn't one-shot your hero from the very beginning, making everything fucking boring.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That's what Potions of Immortality are for.

20. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

[​IMG]

I need to clean some of those icons out.

Our Host!