Items that Don't Work

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by chuft, Nov 2, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chuft

chuft New Member

Is there a list anywhere of items which don't work like they are supposed to? If not, might be a good idea to start one. Nothing worse than spending hours trying to figure out what an item is supposed to do, when it's broken and will never do anything.

So far, I know of:

Medallion of Silence (gives no prowling bonus)
    Negotiator's Ring (does nothing)
    Machined Plate (no strength bonus)

and I think:
    Shield of Force (does not appear to do electricity damage do opponents)

Any others?

2. toller

toller New Member

Medallion of Silence adds to silence protection not prowling.
    Negotiator's Ring addes to Persuasion unless its maxed out then it will only turn the number green.
    Machined Plate does;
    Only small and medium
    Damage Resistance +38/+45
    AC Bonus +25
    Fire Resistance +20
    Poison Resistance +20
    Electrical Vulnerability -10
    Silent Penalty -90
    AC penalty -10
    Damage Vulnerability -10
    Poison Vulnerability -20
    Electrical Vulnerability -10
    STRENGTH 0

I don't know of any armor that addes to strength.

Shield of Force is only effective if your magic/tech meter is well into the magic side. At about 85% magic you'l get 100% damage from the 'Force'. The shield itself will tell you how effective it is.

Get master of repair to keep a weapon or armor in good condition and a master of repair can recouver broken items. This mastery is as easy as your willing to find a walk path to Caladon. I go there before doing the Black Mountain Clan to get the master of Repair because I found the walk path (Gorgoth Pass) by matrix searching all of Arcanum for hidden sites.

3. chuft

chuft New Member

Machined Plate says in the schematic it is supposed to increase your strength. It doesn't.

I have a 94 Magickal aptitude. When I put on the Negotiator's Ring, it does nothing to Persuasion, which remains at zero.

When I put on the Medallion of Silence, it does nothing to my Prowling, dspite saying "Prowling++" in the description. I don't know what makes you think it actually is reducing your noise penalty, since it doesn't show up in your Prowling level. I can't see any way to tell that it would be working. Of course if you are wearing Thieves' Leather, Robes of Shadowing etc. you have no noise level anyway.

Shield of Force says "magical power available 100%." I have never observed it doing damage of any kind to a foe.

4. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

The Machined Plate fault has been documented and that is why there is a fix available for it.

The Negotiator's Ring does work because Persuasion is what adds to your ability to Negotiate on Arcanum (and most places in real life), but nothing can add to the maximum. If you are not getting any benefit from it, then you must be maxed out or have something else that is interfering with it. I'll check the scripts on that one though to be absolutely sure.

I'll also double-check the Shield of Force scripts to be sure that it is actually working as advertized, but I think that it does work because I have noticed that my characters seem to beat up opponents faster when using it. I'm not sure that electrical damage is always that noticeable in Arcanum.

If anyone else has any other items that they know of that don't work or that think don't work, they should report them in here, like chuft said. I will take a look at them and, if I can come up with a fix, I will include any fixes in the next version of my Ship's Cabin and Hold hack. :)

5. chuft

chuft New Member

I have Persuasion of zero. If I put on the Negotiator's Ring, Persuasion stays at zero. If I spend a spare character point on Persuasion, so my rank goes to one, I still get no effect whatsoever from putting on the Negotiator's Ring with a magickal aptitude in the 90s.

6. Womble

Womble New Member

There are two rings in the game that often get confused for each other. One you can steal from a shopkeeper in Tarant (from the tailor, I think), it appears magical, but does not work. The other you can get/steal from a gnome (the one who gives Haggle Mastery), it works fine and gives nice benefits. Not sure what both of them are called though.

7. chuft

chuft New Member

The ring I am referring to is pickpocketed from the tailor in Tarant, is called the Negotiator's Ring, and says "Charges: 4" in the description for it.

8. Womble

Womble New Member

Its the one that doesn't work.

9. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

The ring you get from the Haggle Master works just fine, but I don't think I ever took the one from the tailor. I'll check that one out.

Anyone else know of any other items that don't work?

10. rone talek

rone talek New Member

mech plate

if your magical aptitude is so high its no wonder the plate wont work

11. chuft

chuft New Member

The plate doesn't work because the plate doesn't work. It has nothing to do with this character. I noticed it while playing a tech character.

Our Host!