Items that can't be stolen?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by oni5115, Jan 8, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. oni5115

oni5115 New Member

I had this pretty awesome plan to go around pickpocketing gear that I needed to become a master of Prowl. I was easily able to steal most quest rewards like the Ring of Concealment or Chapeau of Magnetic Inversion, however I could not steal Master Quest rewards like the Trapmaker Spectacles or Ring of Silence. Is this normal? Or are the items stored somewhere I didn't look - chests or something of the sort?

Do you only need 18 prowl or 20 for mastery? I know the dialogue for dodge requires 19 or 20, because even with 4 CP's in Dodge my beat with an ugly stick halfling with +2/4 dodge couldn't get past it.

Edit: I've also read there is a trick to using the unlocking cantrip, can someone please give a detailed explanation of how to use it? I've just been using lock picking, but since I plan to make a Temporal Magic Master of backstabbing doom - it would be easier to use magic and not get the tech points.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Digging into my hazy memories from when I last played a thief. (ie. I may well be wrong)

The official game patch removed the master quest items from the regular inventories specifically to stop you from stealing them and reaping the benefits without doing the related quests.

Unlocking cantrip is not silent, unlike merely picking a lock. So the 'trick' such as it is, is to never cast it whilst someone is in range to hear it. Aside from that Unlocking Cantrip was permanent in the game at some pont, once you cast it that lock was unlocked forever, However I can't remember is subsequent patches fixed this.

By 18 Prowl do you mean 18 Perception? thats the minimum level required in order to max out your prowl skill, you need to max the skill and have expert training in order to do the Master quest. 20 Perception supposedly lets you see invisible objects but I've never gotten it to work, not that it matters invisible enemies only occur in one of the mage mastery quests anyway.

3. oni5115

oni5115 New Member

Nope, I meant 18 Prowl. The skills in the game seem to be 1-20, character points just add 4 points. So 2 CP's is 8/20. However, Halfling gives +2, creep armor +2, medallion of silence +2, ring of concealment +2, and/or Moordinal's Blessing +4. (Ring of Silence +2, but cannot be stolen in patch.)

Appretince is 1, Expert is 9, and Mastery is 18 - except for dodge which takes 20 to get past the dialogue options.

Had I been able to steal the ring of silence, the prowl mastery quest reward, I could have gotten to 18-22 prowl using only 2 CP's into the skill, requiring only 9 PE. Easily taken care of by 8 default PE + Trapmaker Spectacles!

The spectacles also give +2 dex, which would let me hit 20 DX without spending a single CP in DX! 8 +4(race/bg) +4(agility of fire) +2(gloves) +2(spectacles).

That said, since I can't steal the Trapmake Spectecles anyways, the 5 CP's spend on the skill aren't worth the 3 CP's I'd be needing from the item. Especially since this character is also going to utilize magical items and needs to have a decent magical aptitude. Pick Locks is already bad enough!

Now what helmet to wear instead! Eye Gear is a tech item and takes 4 in mechanical to make, or surrounded by lvl 20 golems... Helmet of Yzar's Cost is cursed, and also surrounded by lvl 30 bears... Or just dump 1 point into PE and call it a day.

The only other question is how are skill calculations made? It it better to actually raise PE to 18-20, max out Prowl, and wear all the +prowl gear? My goal is mostly to get prowl high early, and try and get mastery ASAP and then do stuff solo.

Related to the above, does having 5 CP's into backstab, and then wearing items with backstab bonuses grant you more extra damage? For example 20 skill does 100 damage, does 30 skill do 150?

4. rudybro

rudybro New Member

Yeah I agree with vorak.

5. Jubilee

Jubilee New Member

Perception didn't work for me either. Like you said, not really important except its helpful in that one quest.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I disagree with Vorak, for it is possible to steal the Ring of Silence and the Trapmaker Spectacles.

Pointless gravedig is pointless, though.

7. Xyle

Xyle Member

There is a second, magical Ring of Silence in Roseborough (the master reward's ring of silence is Mag/Tech Neutral). The mother of the PickLock Master is wearing it.

Oiled Thieves Leathers (Neutral) gives a +1 bonus while Robes of Prowling (did I get that name correct?) gives a +2.

To translate the different systems: 4.5 out of 5 = 18 out of 20.
    I read somewhere (probably the manual or the official site) that they initially was going to use a base 20 system for skills, but they changed the interface to a base 5 but left the underlying base 20 engine in place. And while most backgrounds describe their bonuses in base 20, some do not (Mad Scientist's Heal bonus says +1 and gives 1 out of 5 or 4 out of 20). Just another glitch in a long list of glitches.

If base attribute<6, corrosponding skill is maxed at 0.75 out of 5 (3 out of 20)
    If base attribute<9, corrosponding skill is maxed at 1.75 out of 5 (7 out of 20)
    If base attribute<12, corrosponding skill is maxed at 2.75 out of 5 (11 out of 20)
    If base attribute<15, corrosponding skill is maxed at 3.75 out of 5 (15 out of 20)
    If base attribute<18, corrosponding skill is maxed at 4.75 out of 5 (19 out of 20)

Therefore Mastery in any skill (except Dodge) requires a Min 15 in its base attribute with the Base Attribute of Prowling being PE.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would ask that you don't gravedig threads more than two months old, unless you've something relevant to donate to the conversation. The above does not qualify.

Our Host!