INT potions...?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Dan S., Jan 22, 2016.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

So INT potions are unique in that they are the only readily available stat-enhancing potions vendors carry. I'm wondering exactly what the intent was here... Is it so that retarded/very low INT characters can always resort to potions in order to be able to function in dialogue..? Or is it so you can use them to utilize int-based skills like repair and what not as needed..? Seems kinda cheap because I realized that you could spec your int really low intentionally and just always carry these potions (and you can put your stat points into other stuff, resulting in a way more powerful character overall - as long as you carried those potions that is). For a character with high INT though... They're pretty much pointless.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I'd imagine this was the idea, giving people the opportunity to have normal dialogue if they went for a low INT character, though obviously this is pure speculation.

In terms of the using them for repair/technology disciplines, I'd say there's a slight role-playing imperative not for most tech characters, given that most tech-heads aren't supposed to like magick - though of course you can always play an enterprising individual who wants to make the best of all resources, magick or tech, at hand.

In terms of having a low intelligence magick user, in practice because the potions are so short-lived it's not a viable strategy for maintaining additional spell slots (the other benefit of intelligence, a new continuous spell slot for every 4 points of intelligence you have) as the tedium of amassing enough potions to use them for a whole dungeon would be ridiculous.

To be honest, with all the character points you can normally save through equipment/blessing either going tech or magick I don't think there's too much of need depend on the potions for point saving. One thing that might be nice to try is a Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde style role-play revolving around taking the potions and it transforming not only the intellect but also the personality and morality of your character (something you could reinforce with the taking on and off of certain equipment, e.g. the Dark Helm).

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The potions do not add spell slots, in any case.

Roleplaying as a purist aside, the potions open up dialogue options in at least two quests, and are super-useful for technology, since you can effectively master any discipline with an intelligence of only 9. You can take a potion, spend points in a discipline, then just take another potion when you build your items. Maybe you can roleplay it as a really strong cup of coffee.

Also, it should be noted that at least one of the premade character's scheme is a magick-tech combination, so it certainly isn't against the lore.

Our Host!