Innocent? Really? Well, pay up then.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvara, Mar 19, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Silvara

Silvara New Member

http://www.sundayherald.com/40592

WHAT do you give someone who’s been proved innocent after spending the best part of their life behind bars, wrongfully convicted of a crime they didn’t commit?
    An apology, maybe? Counselling? Champagne? Compensation? Well, if you’re David Blunkett, the Labour Home Secretary, the choice is simple: you give them a big, fat bill for the cost of board and lodgings for the time they spent freeloading at Her Majesty’s Pleasure in British prisons.

On Tuesday, Blunkett will fight in the Royal Courts of Justice in London for the right to charge victims of miscarriages of justice more than £3000 for every year they spent in jail while wrongly convicted. The logic is that the innocent man shouldn’t have been in prison eating free porridge and sleeping for nothing under regulation grey blankets.

I think the Brits have gone mad... :-o

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, if I was wrongly imprisoned, I'd be suing the hell out of whoever put me there. After I've received my millions and millions of dollars, I'd then skip the country and refuse to pay the bill, because Blunkett is a fuckwit.

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Thats so wonderful... I don't know how to feel about this. I swear to god...

I'm so glad those original colonists drove the British out of America. I mean, seriously... I'm almost speachless.

4. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

I would go on a killing spree, coupled with the logic that "I did the time, now it's time to do the crime." Fuck those idiots, I would kill people.

5. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Darkwalker, you just made me laugh so hard. I swear, thats even funnier than sigurd's "jew reading the nazi newspaper" joke in the joke thread. I fell out of my chair, I scaired my dog, my mom thought I was going to kill something, I laughed that hard.

Thank you so much.

6. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Now that's insane. I'd use the same logic against them and sue them for loss of income. Then pay their bill.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    What a marvellous idea! You know, we could develop it even further. Why not let the families of innocently executed people compensate for the tax money the wrongfully convicted would had paid otherwise? Hail for me! I'm a dumbass politician!

Seriously, I'm uncertain as if even "fuckwit" is a strong enough invective to describe this Blunkett guy. Holy shit...

8. Quethim

Quethim New Member

A nice case of Double Jeapordy might be nice... :)

9. Some Strange Man

Some Strange Man New Member

Well it seems David Blunkett can't see the simpleness of this.

The guy is blind. I mean literaly blind.

I know how prisons could use less money: feed the prisoners worse/less food, look after them worse so less expenditure, AND force prisoners to work on things that will get money going into teh prison.

10. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

If you can take someones life... its yours to take :D
    Isn't that just the best life motto?

11. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

You know what would be cool? If someone killed Blankett. I think I'll create a PayPal account so supporters can contribute to my "Ticket to England to Kill David Blankett Fund." I'll supply the weaponry, of course, but I don't have quite enough money to buy a ticket to the UK. I'm buying a single-shot breechloading 12-gauge next weekend for 90 bucks. I think I'll use that, even though it's slow on the reload.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

If you're going to use a gun, use a long range, high-powered sniper rifle. That gives you time to make a decent getaway. If you use a shotgun, you're going to be up close and personal, and chances are you going to be seen and/or apprehended.

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Nah, long range isn't always the best thing. You could just get him with a 9 mm. pistol in a crowded area, or an uzi, then point at the closest Irish guy and blame him.

14. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I'm with you, Sleek, even though I do love a good sniper rifle. Really, the best place to assassinate someone is in a crowded, open area, contrary to popular belief. With a good silenced handgun and a trenchcoat, there's nothing to stop you. When masses of people are moving through a public area, nobody looks at you, and nobody's going to immediately notice that your mark just got hit. It'll take a few seconds before he falls down, and then a few minutes until someone notices that he is dead in a pool of blood. By this time, you are already long gone.

15. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Oh so, innocent ones should attempt to escape from prisons to avoid the bill right?

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Unless, of course, you're going for the Labour Home Secretary (or some other high profile mark) in which case they probably DO have people monitoring the status of said mark every second (read: bodyguards). Besides, at any gathering like that, they tend to get many police, metal detectors and the like. Sure, you may be able to shoot him - good luck escaping though.

Besides, the more people, the more random variables you introduce into the situation, and thus your chances of succeeding diminish.

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

You know, if he really does get assasinated this web page is fucked.

18. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Why shouldn't innocent people who lost 10+ years in a jail be compensated? Well I know you get free food and a big, bald lover named Bruno in your cell but still...

19. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

No, you need to re-read that mr. Aries Shion, the article is about them paying the government for services provided for them during wrongful imprisonment. As in, you get locked up for a crime you didn't commit, and then you get released and they want you to pay for your food, and room and board.

20. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

Naw! You don't want a silenced gun, you want to just drop a little C-4 on the ground, and slip away. Take the whole crowd out. If there are no witnesses left standing, who'll know it was an assassination on him? Everyone will think it was a Mad Irish Bomber.

Our Host!