In honour of Muro and his kin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muro, Aug 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Turns out today is the International Lefthanders Day.

Expensive gifts are not mandatory, though highly encouraged.

How many brothers and sisters are there around, anyway?

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

My brother is a lefty unfortunately for him. I have to ask though, what is with your sucking mad dick sloganizer as of late?

3. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Does that mean we're kin Muro?

Does that also mean I don't have to get you anything?

4. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I'm a leftie. I occasionally try to train my right hand to do things like write or draw, but writing makes it look like I have some sort of palsy. Drawing ends up surreal.

5. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I used to try to train my off-hand (left). Most recently I would brush my teeth with my off-hand, but I no longer do that.

6. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

My catholic grandma once tried to hit me because I'm left-handed...

7. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Fucking cripples.

Right-Handed Power!

8. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

Oh, you!

9. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I will be a lefty if it gets me presents.

10. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

I was left handed as a child, then they conditioned me to write, eat, draw, ... right handed. Now I'm a mere shell of my former self (actually, the only thing that's different is that my writing is ugly).

I still use keyboard and mouse left-handed, though.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I recall reading an article indicating that it's less being a lefty and more being a non-righty, a view supported by the fact that main areas responsible for various skills are more evenly spaced on both hemispheres of the brain as opposed to one hemisphere being visibly dominant.

This means it's easier for one of the non-righty's hemispheres to take over the functions of the second hemisphere when that second one gets damaged than it is in the case of a righty.

...which is way more practical in day-to-day life than not encountering scissors, can openers, computer equipment and such designed for the hand that you're not using wherever you go.

Or not having to push a pen instead of pulling it while writing and not smearing what you just wrote.

Way I say.

I noticed sloganizer sigs recently became the thing around here, but they're always used just with one's username.

To show that they can be used in a more creative and entertaining way, instead of using a nick, I used a dick.

I get a good laugh out of most of the slogans which now appear under my posts, too.

We're one big super mutant family, yes.

Thankfully we're sterile, so incest isn't that much of a biggie.

...is what I wanted to write, but I figured I'll skip that joke out of respect to your womanhood and asexuality.

...but then I realised that by avoiding being sexist by not referring to your sex, I am sexist nonetheless because of not wanting to hurt your feelings just because of your sex.

Shit is so confusing.

Not only that, but you get to receive a whole lot of presents yourself!

I wasn't forced to do anything like a righthander, but I have always been eating like a righthander when it comes to using a fork and a knife.

I figured that more skill (therefore, the use of a dominant hand) is needed to maneuver food into my mouth than to cut that food.

I use my dominant hand to hold a spoon and maneuver soup into my mouth.
    I use my dominant hand to hold beverageware and maneuver beverages into my mouth.
    I use my dominant hand to maneuver food into my mouth when I eat anything not needing the aid of cutlery.
    How is it logical to use anything but my dominant hand when maneuvering food into my mouth while using a fork and a knife?

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

It takes no skill to do something simple like maneuver food into your mouth, though, and not doing it with your dominant hand builds up your fine motor control with the weak hand.

On the other hand, cutting something tough requires more strength.

13. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Asexuality stops being fun when you discover the joy other women can bring!

14. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Never understood what was hot about lesbians, there is no place for the guy!

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The guy is the audience, of course! In between joining in.

I was a lefty until about four, when the pretty girl next door pulverised my left index finger in some heavy duty playground equipment. I find I can now write with my left hand, but only a mirror image, ie, backwards and inside out. There was a flip of hemispheres to reprogram my right hand, (and a classic freudian castration fantasy as my childhood brain assumed divine retribution for playing with myself left handed, but that's another story).

17. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

But the guy doesn't get to join in because they are lesbians!

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I can't agree that it takes no skill. Try eating a soup with your non-dominant hand.

You won't splat that soup on your forehead, no, but I'm sure you will notice you do not have mastery in this art from the very beginning.

Therefore, cutting something tough with your non-dominant hand allows to build up some strength in that hand as well, which eventually pays off when both hands need to do some heavy work simultaneously.

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The only heavy work I can think of that requires both hands working simultaneously involve two men and a woman.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That requires both motor control and strength. Can't really say how she should eat her meals to maximize efficiency.

Our Host!