Icing on the Cake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vlad the Imposter, Mar 5, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

I got home from work today and started watching MSNBC. It seems that our friends to the east have gotten their hands on a nuclear weapon. Wouldn't that just be the icing on this whole fucked up cake?
    Also there have been "eyewitness" sightings of Osama in Tora Tora.
    What are you guys hearing over there? (Australia and England)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vlad the Imposter on 2002-03-04 19:04 ]</font>

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I've not heard that yet, but I don't read much news. I'll pay more attention now, though.

If the terrorist madmen did have nukes, I wonder how it would affect public opinion. All those people who have been baying for more war might think twice if they knew it would mean a possibility of them personally getting blown off their couches ...

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I haven't heard anything...then again, how reliable has the news been in this 'War on Terrorism'? It hasn't. The death toll from the WTC has been halved since the planes crashed, Osama was supposed to have been cornered, and the Taliban were supposed to have been messed up something chronic.

4. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

1.why are you refering to only to the guys in England and Australia?
    2.I stopped to pay any attention to all this "war" a few months ago so i havent heard a thihg.

5. Vlad the Imposter

I put down England and Australia because those are the only countries that had members that I could think of at the time. Those of you from other countries, feel free to answer.

Either that or this will be the start of WWIII.

6. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

I feel for you Vlad I would feel kind of funny asking for the Caladonian take on world affairs.

7. Sheriff Fatman

Well, Vlad, fortunately I don't think that's likely. In an unusually insightful move, most governments have avoided putting their nuclear arsenals under direct control of the blood-frenzied freaks whose knowledge of foreigners is composed solely of what they read from tabloids.

8. Vlad the Imposter

I tend to agree. But, there are countries out there that would have no compunction to nuke someone. Take Israel for example. They already threatened to nuke Iraq during the Gulf War. If someone were to explode a nuclear device here in the States I have a feeling that even if we did not retaliate with nukes they might.

9. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

The only thing I've seen even related was the alert that turned out to be a false alarm. Apparently the intelligence community got a tip from someone they considered unreliable that a 10KT nuclear device was or already had been smuggled into NYC. About the same time a Russian general made some comments that possibly a 10KT nuke had been lost/stolen whatever. Because of the combination of these two pieces of info all the emergency nuclear agencies went on full alert but no nuclear weapons or evidence of any was found.

The only thing thats been in the news lately about it is how everyone in NYC is a little ticked off that weren't told there was possibly a nuclear weapon in their city.

10. Vlad the Imposter

First of all I have to ask, how the hell do you lose a 10kt nuclear weapon!?!

Second, the people of NYC shouldn't be suprised. Imagine the reaction. 1.5 million people all trying to get over the George Washington bridge at the same time. And I'd bet they would all still have to pay the damned toll.

11. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

i dont see anything bad in Caladon.(except for one big murder case)

and i have connections in other places (like middle-earth for example)

12. Milo

Milo New Member

From what I've heard/read it's not impossible. The corruption in the former Soviet Union left the door open for just this kind of thing to happen. After the 9/11 attacks, there were reports that x number of small tactical nuclear devices went missing from the Soviets after the fall of communism, all sold in the black market by the men originally intended to safeguard them. I'm not quoting a number because I read the article a while ago, and besides, the number was just a speculation. No concrete proof, as far as I know. The process by which just such a scenario could occur did sound feasible, though, no matter the actual number of nukes missing.

Guess they should've picked a religious civ in order to cut down on the turns of anarchy after a government switch, huh?

13. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

I wonder about the truth of the missing nuke reports. Investigation in Afganistan revealed that the people proposing to sell to al'quaida were con men stuffing containers with a skull and crossbones painted on full of medical waste. the waste had enough radioactivity to set off geiger counters but otherwise useless. so I think that the story was leaked just to create a demand that had a credible cover for the con men. :rofl:

14. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

*snicker* please tell me i'm not the only geek who found that funny...

15. Milo

Milo New Member

Naw, there's quite a few CivGeeks around here. :smile:

16. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Me and sheriff fatman are civ 3 geeks. :teeth:

Aren't we, Fatman? :frownyes:

17. Sheriff Fatman

I just this moment return from giving Queen Elizabeth I an Ancient Age spanking.

18. Milo

Milo New Member

Give her a good hard one for me and my aborted empire.

19. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

We have friends to the East? Where!? Where!?

Only thing we've heard is that Australian SAS Troops are in Afghanistan doing special stuff that they can't tell us about because if they did, they'd have to kill us....

If you really want to know what we know, the abc (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) is the place to go: http://www.abc.net.au/news/world/

Hehhh.... There you go, I've heard there was an earthquake in Afghanistan

That should be Tora Bora shouldn't it? And last thing I heard about the war was the heavy fighting going on at the moment....

Haven't found anything about the nuke, but I do remember some old reports about it.... Then I heard that Osama and his Motley Crew would ONLY use it if the US used nukes against them first... (har har har)

On the topic of Civ3:
    -----------------------
    I've only bought that game just recently... My game right now has me on the easiest skill level fighting a war with the EGyptians. And I've only just discovered that catapults are really crap.... Like no, really, really, really crap... I can't even kill a unit with them. I've been bombarding the city for turns and turns and all I ever do is slightly damage it... So I have to send in my archers.... Hehh Here it is, 600 AD and I've still got archers... Usually, I've got gunpowder or tanks by now in Civ2. I've still gotta figure out the finer points of the game...

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The easier the difficulty, the longer the research. I completed the Appolo space program in 1856 on Regent difficulty, and only just managed to research Fission by 1950 on Warlord difficulty, if that gives you any sort of idea.

Also, bombardment units can't kill anything, only damage it. Still, nothing like four or five artillery backing up your tank formation later in the game.

Our Host!