I seem to have... mislaid my Baneful Gauntlets

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sjael, Jan 17, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sjael

Sjael New Member

I've been playing Arcanum for many years and lurking the forums for a while now, figured this was worth bringing up since I couldn't find anything related on the forums.

My issue is this, after spending considerable coin on arcane gear for my followers, I attempted to throw my Baneful Gauntlets at the Wise Woman's feet in an effort to get my hard-earned back. And well, for some absurd reason they flew in an entirely different direction, coming to rest here:
    [​IMG]

Normally this would be a quick re-load situation, only for the first time in a long time, I hadn't saved the game. For hours. I've tried using ArcanumEdit to get Unseen Force and Call Winds, but neither of these are able to dislodge my gauntlets.
    My question is this; is there a glitch or hack (or otherwise) that I can exploit to retrieve my gauntlets, or is there an item that I can use in their place?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

If I'm not mistaken, it happened because you haven't developed your throwing skill. :D

I think that the only thing you can do is load, regardless of the fact that you haven't saved your game in a long time.

As for the replacement, I don't have a clue.

You can maybe place some traps and lure her into the minefield. :D

3. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Interesting, I wasn't aware that throwing skill affected thrown objects (never used throwing for anything). Thanks for the info. :D

As dumb as it sounds, I later autosaved to try a new approach, without first backing up my previous save so even loading is out of the question. Heh. Oh well, I've played through the game many times without even knowing about the gauntlets so I guess I can survive without them.
    Thanks again.

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

No need to throw things.

Just put it next to her and wait for her to pick it up voluntarily.

5. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Possible replacements: Life-Stealing Dagger (schuyler's basement), Ring of Invisibility (I think it was either in the small lagoon, the small pond or the cold place)

6. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The ring of shadows is the best item in the game, don't go tossing it around.

7. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Well at the time I was too lazy to make everyone wait offscreen, as followers seem to have priority over picking up and equipping cursed items over every other npc (and seemingly cursed items have priority over far superior gear..) :p

Thanks for the item suggestions Timothy, you're a life (and time :roll:) saver. I didn't know the Ring of Shadows even existed, but it looks like it would have saved me the 5 points in phantasm, don't think I'll be chucking that one around. :D

8. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Yeah well, the RoS has the tendency to knock out all my characters before they can do something with the invisibility, so...

And besides, if only one person is invisible, then you still have got a few problems if anyone happens to see your followers (kinda like prowling).

9. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Doesn't anybody know about the bug ?!

10. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Not sure if you can get close enough in this situation, but if you would be able to get just next to the place where the gauntlets landed, you could click alt+left mouse button tomove the gauntlets towards yourself and then grab them back.

12. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Haha yes, it worked, thanks a ton :D. I never knew you could do that either, I am in your debt :)

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

14. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Was just about to suggest this, but you beat me to it!

Glad you got your gloves back! In the future, you should probably just drop them like previously suggested.....

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I was actually suprised, that during five days of this thread's existance no one mentioned that before me.

Our Host!