I remember the day I bought Arcanum! And afterwards...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Ogatai, Jun 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Ahh and what a day it was. I hadn't slept at all the night before because its the holidays and I often have trouble sleeping. The family, for a change was going out to watch a movie at the shit hole shopping complex of WaterGardens in the under fuck shit rubbish heap that is Sydenham. I brought my wallet with me, which was odd because back then I rarely had money to spend. But by a curious twist of fate I had about $70 aus.
    I don't remember exactly why I wanted to buy arcanum but I was really looking forward to it. I remembered that the last time I looked at it it was about $80 so I was afraid that I wouldn't have enough money. We went to see lord of the rings: the fellowship of the ring because it just came out. (please note that I had no idea what the book was about and having had the hobbit read to me as a child, was wonderfully surprised to find out that it was kinda like a sequal, irrelevent) Afterwards I headed for the electronics boutique section of the outlet. There it was on the shelf, at $70 dollars I was thrilled. I took it home played it and wasn't that enthusiastic about it mainly because I was tired not having sleep in the past 24 hours and also I think I ended up playing Vormentown by mistake. Well I ended up lending it to a friend after a few frustrating months of gameplay. He seemed to take a shine to it and told all about its amasing wonders and I was rather hesistant in wanting it back. I believe it didn't work when I got it back so I demanded that he buy me a new copy. In the end he did and good times were had by all. I still have that copy of Arcanum it no longer works for reason that are beyond my comprehension. But at least I was one of the lucky few who lived long enough to witness one of the greatest games of the new millenium. Because quite frankly its all going to shit and no RPG has satified me in a long while. Unlike Arcanum did and Torment and Morrowind. Oblivion was nice but was sadly not what I was looking for. I'm afraid Role playing games may be dying. People often told me the theatre was dying, not true, in actual fact its still quite alive, it is merely changing, probably not for the better in my opinion but then I'm difficult to please. Role playing games on the other hand, its been my life and well its like the death of god theory. Everyone relys on god enternal wisdom to know what to do, well gods dead, what now? I'd like to try other games but they just aren't as good. I recently came into the sum of about $94,000 aus. Over these long holidays I think to myself "What game consol should I buy in the near future or computer that will allow me to play good RPG's?" Well from what I've seen none, that really pique my interest at all. I'm finding less and less reasons to go on living as my living deteriorates into freelance haha fests and unmotivated ideas that have no chance in hades of getting anywhere. Sorry If I got a little side tracked but I have a lot on my mind and I'm glad that at least some people had the cranial capacity to know and love a good RPG. We're a dying breed and the only thing that I can promise is that when the inevitable comes I'M TAKING EVERYONE WITH ME!!!!

so uh yeah....

2. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Not to worry, at this very moment, Mar's small moon known as Phobos has been ejected from its orbit and is at this very moment on a collision course with the Earth, and will destroy everything! Enjoy it while it lasts. :D

You might want to try some of the Final Fantasy games for an amusing RPG, 7 & 8 are available on PC.

3. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

After half a year of playing I finally decided to buy it, one of my friends did too, and I suggested two more to do similarly (I don't know if they finally did so).

I'm not into roleplaying, but found some CRPGs fucking good (Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum, Arx Fatalis; recently Planescape - Torment; and I wanna try Baldur's Gate, IceWind Dale, etc).

4. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

But you aren't into role playing?

5. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Maximus I have Ff 8 and I would be more than glad if you tell me the where i can get ff 7 as I have been wanting to play that again for some time!

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

PnP RPG <> CRPG

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Ebay. Of course, expect to pay far out the ass for it. I recently purchased a copy of FF7 from videogamecentral.com, and from the time I purchased it, it should've gotten to my house in about 4 days. It's been four weeks.
    It only cost 30 dollars, however. It's the shipping that will get you.

8. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Good luck finding a copy now-days, as they seem to be as rare as diamonds. I got mine fresh off the shelf, but haven't seen it since. The company who puts them out must hate PC gamers, as they only put out a limited number of both, and put the rest on console. (And openly refuse to put out any new FF for the PC, despite the demand) I think it was conspiracy to lure us over to the dark side of gaming, but what can you do? Maybe try some of the FF forums and ask them?

Oh, and Planescape: Torment rocks!

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The Darkside is right, the number of arguments I've had with console gamers about which is better.

Put simply, there was no console port of Arcanum, hence consoles will never be as good.

10. Maximus

Maximus New Member

11. Grossenschwamm

Arcanum could've been done as a direct port to the Playstation One.
    Or they could've completely revamped the graphics with true 3D models in the same isometric viewpoint.
    That'll never (and should never) happen.
    What should be done is make the game a sort of fire and forget RPG. Have a set amount of character points to start out, and see how long they survive in Arcanum with no player interference.

12. Pirate Tony

Pirate Tony New Member

There is only one use for a PS or PS2 and that is FF. Personally I thought that 9 was the best followed by 7 and then 10. Mind you if you like FF then also try Breath of Fire. It's such a shame that these titles are imposs or nearly imposs to get on the PC. I had to buy a PS2 ....(for the kids, of course) to play FF9 and 10.

13. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'd put my bet on any run-away-from-the-circus-half-ogre.

14. Grossenschwamm

Yep. Blame the kids.
    I bought my X-Box just to play Halo.

15. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Halo sucks. I am appalled at you, Grossenschwaum.

16. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

If you're after something light-hearted and relatively easy, "Bard's Tale" is fairly cheap at EB these days (I got my copy for $23! Go June Sales!) and a killer chuckle.

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana is good for the old-school feel, and if you're not averse to downloading ROMs and Emulators, I'd seriously suggest getting your hands on Phantasy Star 4. (Trust me on PS4. It's what truly got me into RPGs, even more than Final Fantasy.)

Baldur's Gate 1 is a bit shabby but has a good storyline, and Baldur's Gate II is well work the $90 I paid for it when it came out, especially if you can get your hands on Throne Of Bhaal as well.

17. Ogatai

Ogatai New Member

Yes I'll have to check out bards tale and I'll see if I can find Atellier Iris.
    I've already played and finished PS4. Man that game was fun used to rent it from the video store back in the day, then I had to download and finish the damn thing! I also got my hands on PS2 and PS3 but number two is confusing and stupid and number three is absolute shite. And I also have BG and BG 2 and TOB. I liked the first one a lot because that game was really challenging the second because it had a bit of planar travel in it and TOB because of the awesome fights, especially against the throngs of Dwarves in the cave bit, now THAT was a fight! Oh and Jan Jansen, the only character that can level up as a friggin thief in that game for some reason except for of course Yoshimo but we all know why hes useless. Plus Jans a bloody riot of a hoot!

Our Host!