I just found the original Harry Potter script!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flink, Jun 1, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

If you want an extremely well-written, indepth and very long read then get the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton (The Reality Dysfunction, The Nutronium Alchemist and The Naked God).

Add to that the prequel A Second Chance at Eden.

That's around 4500 pages of incredible science fiction based upon our current leading edge understanding of physics. It's a thoroughly enjoyable read and meant for adults only. Just trying to bend your mind around some of the concepts and theories used is good mental exercise alone! :lol:

2. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

LOL!

I must admit to being quite interested in the new Harry potter book. I got into the series after a girl I fancied at College lent me the first, and I read through the others in about a month.

JK Rowling may not be the best author in the world, but she writes an entertaining story and IMO has a great talent for characterization.

Anyone else here into Terry Brooks?

Regards,
    Morden

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe that's why I don't like it? I only saw the new ones.

4. Canis

Canis New Member

:-o

My first thought is, you're either under ten or you just recently emerged from a fallout shelter and wandered into the local theatre. However, in the interest of keeping an open mind, how is it that you came to see the new movies but not the originals?

5. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

hohoho

I just remembered something. All of Lucas' ideas are rip-offs anyway! Seriously, though. How many truly original authors are there? In order for a book to sell, it has to work with our archetypes, which means that every idea seems to have come from somewhere or everywhere. Ideas come from other ideas, no? If you don't believe me, look up the origin of the word "drow" some time. It's icelandic, I think. It will blow your mind.

6. Canis

Canis New Member

Yes, true. You can say that about pretty much every bit of literature in existence, which is why it's pointless to bring it up, actually. Now if one book is a blatant rip-off of another, or if it's been plagiarized, that's a different situation altogether.

The Smithsonian had an exhibit a few years ago about the "mythology" of Star Wars, and how it's based on the classic Hero paradigm blah blah blah.

Anyway, whenever I read posts like this I get "SIMPSONS DID IT!!!" screaming in my brain for hours. For the good of humanity, let it go!

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Didn't you just contradict yourself? You proved the point that children and adults can enjoy the same book. Perhaps I'm reading that wrong though. If so, please tell me.

8. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

Ha.

Advanced books? There's good writing and bad writing. A child can read a million short books or tackle a long one. I don't consider King an advanced author. Now, if you're looking to impress someone with your reading skills, you might draw from what you read and write about it, or explain some subtle metaphor in Stephen King's books.... I'm grown, and I read Harry Potter. So does my 14-year-old brother. It's really about taste, not "reading skills".
    I was a sick little kid. Alfred Hitchcock was my favourite author for a while.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm above ten, barely 8)

My parents rented the new one to watch.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I'm 15 and I read a wide variety of books. From Harry Potter to BattleTech to lots of other stuff.

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

When I tried reading the Harry Potter books, I never got far before giving up. Granted, I wasn't that motivated to read them, but something about them just kind of pushed me away. Maybe it's something about Rowling's writing style. This was a few years ago, before the movies came out, and now that I've seen the movies and liked them, I might try reading them again.

12. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

The maxim "The books's better than the film" definately applies here. I read all of the released Harry Potter books before the first movie came out.

Personally, the Philosopher's Stone was a good effort, but did not by far capture the whole essense of the book. It left out the interesting little details and just turned out to be a "summary" of the novel, being a collection of scenes, not a flowing novel.

I'd recommend reading them, if you've got a bit of spare time.

Regards,
    Morden

Our Host!