I Just Figured Out Twilight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grakelin, Nov 18, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

I like Grakelin's viewpoint. He made several valid points, and I lol'd. I was especially impressed by the use of actual logic as opposed to heartless flaming. While I don't actually use logic on this forum, as a general rule, it can be a refreshing change. Rock on my literary brother!

2. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I read this, thought about it, went elsewhere, thought about it, and have returned. I've finally come to a conclusion. Grakelin, while I like your idea, I find it a bit of a far shot. I think that, if it is the story that's being read by you, then it's not what SMeyers meant. I think she meant it as a fulfillment of a fantasy. I think this is a Mary-Sue story that got published. If you want evidence to my belief, look at her characters. They're flat, and tend to be devoid of value. It focuses heavily on what's nothing more than a poorly coordinated lust between two individuals who're too stupid to realize the difference. I like what you're seeing, however. I wish it was how most people saw it, instead of this god-damn fandom that they've placed Edward & the rest of that god-forsaken cast in.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Hell, SMeyer has openly admitted that Edward was based off a 'special' dream of hers, if you get my meaning and I think you do.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The more I hear about Twillight, the more I am convinced that Meyer intended Edward Cullen as some kind of vampiric Heathcliff wannabe.

5. Rain-Dog

Rain-Dog Member

I haven't read it, (obviously I have better things to do,) but I've read about it, (like that.)

I liked the essays somebody posted which seemed pretty sensible. But the more I hear about the fecking series, a) the more I wish Buffy hadn't ended, and b) the clearer it becomes that they are a souless, unintentionally morally fucked, plotless, pointless, pretentious and patronising way of exploiting the hormones of teenage girls who think that they are edgy and deep and wish they had someone like Edward to make them feel inferior and encourage them in their flat boring stupidy. But that's just the impression I get from the people who talk about how crap it is and the hormonal, flat, boring, stupid people who haven't noticed.

6. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

7. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I REMEMBER SEEING THAT!

That from the Italy-Brazil game in the 2009 FIFA Confederation Cup Group Matches. Italy was defeated soundly, and since they didn't bother with the Egyptian team and got a draw, they were eliminated (despite a fantastic performance from Giuseppe Rossi).

The kids actions are an effect of the Vuvuzela, that weird trupmetish thing of hell. I wanted to kill myself several times, in hopes of being able to watch the games without hearing the damn buzzing. And I still need to watch the FIFA World Cup this Summer.

Since Turkey has been eliminated, Forza Italia! Oh, and fuck Vuvuzela.

8. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

9. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Nah. The Confederation Cup was played just this summer, and I remember seeing that child.

I'm sure it's either June 2009 or July 2009.

10. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The gif has been around for years, man. You must have seen another fat kid with ice cream on his face.

11. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Luckily for me, I have proof. Here is the scene with the fat kid, from that very same Austrian TV channel that the gif uses:

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KbobZx-pciQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KbobZx-pciQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

And here is a quick summary of the game:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAJJTI2GGik&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAJJTI2GGik&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

P.S. The background buzzing noise is the goddamned Vuvuzela.

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Aaah, you're right, he started popping in June 21, 2009. My apologies, I must have deja vu'd the whole thing.

13. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Having read the series (and then promptly set it to flame and smacking my friend that suggested the piece of shit), this is the only part of the analysis I can agree with.

The books do have a very conservative, Mormon view, but not in the sense that you are seeing it. Mormon women are almost completely subservient to the men much like Bella is to Edward. However, the key point in the series is a statement of abstinence.

The two characters are sexually attracted to each other and "love" each other, but don't have sex until Bella is effectively raped by Edward and then turns into the "monster" or slut bitch that evil sex represents.

Also the pain caused by the vampire bite is another rape metaphor since vampires and their bites are often used as sexual symbolism.

And it's almost 6 am so I'm not gonna bother going more into this.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

...is what I would call this.

Sure looks logicproof to me, Grake. But as long as it isn't fireproof the situation is under control.

15. DarkFool

Somebody get my body glitter, 'cause I'd hit it.

16. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    You may have to.
    Looks to be about the only way to get it to move or make noise.

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ye gods, that woman is a disgrace to the gender. I do believe I need to hurt her. Wait, she's a member of Team Edward, that would only turn her on...

Oh, FUCK YOU STEPHANIE MEYER!!!! My favourite tactic for dealing with the stupid is now suddenly romantic! Argh! :smash: (We seriously need a 'banging my head against the wall in sheer frustration' smiley.)

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Choose your destiny.

[​IMG] . . . . . [​IMG] . . . . . [​IMG] . . . . . [​IMG]

19. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

I like the green one. The slow motion really captures the futility of dealing with Twitards.

20. DarkFool

And there's nothing worse than someone who 'fishes' in bed.*

*doesn't move, just lays there like a dead fish.

Our Host!