I just dont get the point

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Zekuta, Sep 29, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zekuta

Zekuta New Member

Ok im a little new to the game arcanum, so i might get this whole thing wrong.. what is the meaning with the tech manuals ? i get 13 more in electricity if i buy the manual but that still does not make me able to make anything new .. ? :/

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

You usually require some skill in two disciplines to make something out of the found schematics. And, of course, you need the parts.

Oh and it is not enough to have tech manuals if you want to make something of the schematics that are in your character profile. You LEARN them by investing character points.

3. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

No I think he understnds the idea, Solaris. He's just saying that the manuals don't provide enough of a bonus when they are in your inventory to be worthwhile. In a way, I agree. i bought all the manuals more for completeism than anything else.

Basically, though, I think they're designed so that if you understand a little, they help you understand more. Thus, if a magick character picks up a manual, the game doesn't want him to be able to build Bronwyck's Gun, so the bonus provided to firearms by the manual alone is not that great. It is more helpful for someone with a little firearms and a little explosives to equip both manuals.

However, I am curious about one thing: does anyone know if the manuals provide greater bonuses as your tech aptitude goes up?

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

The bonus from the manuals is INT dependent. Drink a Potion of Intellect, and the bonus almost doubles.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Labyrinthian, the game has no such protections. You gain aptitude equal to your In, if you have 5 In, you get 5 aptitude in a certain area. It desn't matter if you are magic or tech, that bonus doesn't change. I am uncertain if the manuals raise your Technical Aptitude at all. Anyone know?

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I don't think so. I remember when I first made Droch's Warbringer, I had MA 100%. Its only the intellect that counts.

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Each tech manual gives you a boost in expertase = to IN. Go to the charcter sheet, & the tech pages. In each tech dicipline there is a blue number. That is your expertase. Learn a schematic, it goes up. Load a tech manual on board & it goes up. Down a potion on IN first & it goes up more.

THE thread on tech manuals:

http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@40 ... 8@.ef4dfd0

No effect on MA / TA, nor does learning found schematics affect it.

For role playing I always thought of my spellcasters pouring over really strange books with a heavily accented Dwarven voice saying "That's the way it goes, lass, keep it oop & we will make a fine technoligist ove ye yet."

Our Host!