I have it! yay!

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Icairus, Sep 24, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Icairus

Icairus New Member

It seems neat, but I haven't gotten past character creation, and allready think it may not be so spectacular.
    It makes Arcanum's portrait set look like god's gift to portrait selections! Several of these seem like they should be in Vampire instead. If you can inform me what they thought you would associate those with, I will be impressed.
    Strict adherence to DND rules - this may turn out to be a horrible thing, one of the things I liked about arcanum was the lack of d notation, and the fact that how good your characters started was not determined by how many times you were willing to click re-roll.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Character creation is hell in games like this. You're not alone, I'm also very picky. I can spend titanic amounts of time planning out the perfect party, play it for a while and then say "nah" and redo the process.

The problem is that no matter how many portraits a company include with their game, there'll always be people who're not satisfied. I for one like those that will be included, but that's just me.
    Isn't there an option to include custom portraits?

You mean the half-orc portraits? They are meant to look that way, ugly like hell. Some of the elven portraits could also be taken as vampires at a first glance, but that's just in the nature of elves (being a bit pale and all that). In fact, in the D&D world of Ravenloft, elves are KOS, or at least treated with outmost suspiciousness because of their sometimes vampire-like appearance.

Well, ToEE is meant to be a D&D game. If you don't like D&D, then you won't probably like ToEE either.
    As for the rolling, click on the "advanced" button and go point-buy instead, if that disturbs you.
    I for one like the rolling part. It can give characters a lot more variety than point-buy.
    Besides, why reroll to death? It's much more of an achievement to complete the game with "regular" characters than with übergods with all 18's, because you need to use that grey matter in your head a bit more. You'll often find that carefully deployed tactics can be more worth than all 18's :)

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

No. Damn & here I thought I had a use for my old Magic cards. No plans for implementation either.

4. Icairus

Icairus New Member

OK, after having played it for a good bit of time, I think that it is OK, not nearly FO2/Arcanum good, but really just what NWN was supposed to be, without the multiplayer.
    The main thing I think when I play this game is "Why the hell didn't Arcanum look half this good?" It is just using a fancyified Arcanum engine, yet it is like comparing Wolfenstein 3d to Return to Castle Wolfenstein in terms of graphics.

5. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

NWN was MEANT to be a multiplayer game! the single player game was an after thought!

6. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Yay I got it too. Looks great but I have to go through the manual first to create some good characters. BTW I don't like re-roll too so thanks for that point-buy info DE, I'll have to check it out.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I like re-rolling, but only so that I can get decent stats. I'm very picky when it comes to creating characters - I plan nearly everything from what weapons they'll use, to which stats I'm going to bump at level 4 and 8, what feats they'll take, role they fill in the party, etc.

That said, I managed to get a godly roll for one of my monks. At level 8 he'll have 4 18's (course, the other 2 stats are 12 and 11, but he doesn't need them), and this only took me 3 rolls I think. As long as the 'vital characteristics' of a class is high, I'm happy. Oh, and everyone needs a high constitution.

8. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I didn't go through the manual so far hence tell me is there any part of your character stats that stays the same till the end of the game as it is when you create it? Aside from gender, race etc. and putting aside any Books of Strentgh which up your ST by 1 permanently* or sumsuch.

*Don't know if they even exist, just thought of them as they were present in BG.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    When you create a character, you roll up 6 numbers and assign them to your abilities in an order you choose.

Those stats stay the same after that - the only way to permanently* alter stats is the bonus point you get every 4th level (in the scope of ToEE, you'll get two points, one at lv4 and one at lv8). With those, you can raise one stat one stat two points, or two stats one point. (at least, I haven't encountered any permanently boosting books/potions yet)

*Stats can be temporarily altered by spells, rage, poison, disease, equipment etc. Those effects aren't permanent though.

Oh, and gender doesn't affect abilities in D&D :)

10. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

As for the point buy system which I checked out I have to admit now that rerolling isn't so bad. :)

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah. I can never understand why Troika decided to have the measly 25 point buy. I thought NWN would had set the standard with 30 points...

Oh well, maybe it applies to some really hardcore Ironman enthusiasts. It doesn't apply to me though. :roll:

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

NWN didnt set the standard, Pool of Radiance did, and i believe they got the point buy system from the third edition rules anyway. I think its a suggested alternative in the character creation section of the players handbook.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Uhmm, didn't POR use 28 point buy?

Yeah, I know. What I meant was that 30 points really should be the standard in CRPG:s. 25 is just too low, you can't really define your character that way.

But, the munchkin inside me will always favor rerolling more (unless the amount of points was absouletely insane, that is) :)

14. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

oh yeah i guess your right about the whole 28 point buy thing.

but as for defining your character wouldnt having fewer points cause you to consider where you put them much much more? its the argument about the level cap in arcanum, it limits the amount of power you can amass, but it also keeps you from becoming too powerful, and wouldnt it just be boring to have a character so perfect that he was good at everything?

In my opinion the biggest, and most important part of role playing is not just defining your strengths, but defining your flaws. Flaws are why we love our heros, not their strengths. People pay to see people fail, and then succeed against all odds. This drama is what makes a narative exciting.

Our Host!