How the HELL did I miss this news?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xiao_Caity, Nov 10, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I just saw a trailer for Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. As in, a movie. How the hell did I not know about this already?

Impressions:
    * Oh hell, it's a Disney film.
    * But wait, it's a Bruckheimer film.
    * Those are the sands? Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwesoooooooome.
    * Hey, they actually kept the leapy-leapy awesomeness. And... it looks good.
    * If they screw up the friendship between the Prince and Farah, I will hunt them down. And kill them. Messily.

So, this film is going to either roxxor ma boxxors, or suck so hard that a hoover would be ashamed. What do you guys think?

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Hey, at least it isn't Uwe Boll.

3. Charonte

Charonte Member

Hoover? Ashamed? Why in Hel's name would a Hoover be ashamed?!

It's been -ages- since I played Sands of Time, but I do honestly hope this turns out alright but I do doubt it.

Video games being what they are, this'll probably be aimed at freakish angsty teenagers who'll cringe and cry as the Prince runs around trying to sort out his "problemz". Fucking moronic marketing tactics.

Sorry if I'm being too cynical (for TA?), but studying a 150hr course in a day along with putting up with my sisters ranting, jumping and feet stomping on the new twitard film has made me loose faith in crap like this a little.

And lets face it, when was the last time you saw a decent film adaption of a game? I mean, sure, DOOM was great (gag) but what else? Even book->game or book->movie adaptations tend to be shit.

*sigh*

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

The Far Cry movie was... well, it was amusing. I've never played the game, but apparently it stayed close to the plot until about 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through.

Dude, Hoover is a brand of vaccuum cleaner. If something sucks so hard as Hoover is ashamed, well, it seriously SUCKS.

5. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Personally I found Silent Hill to be well done.

As far as PoP movie, it looks promising.
    Disney dosen't always do shit.

6. Charonte

Charonte Member

Woah, Far Cry had a story? I just remember shooting stuff for about 20 minutes before getting over it. Did look nice though

...fair call on the vacuum cleaner though, I probably should have picked up on that sooner. Albeit the last one I bought shat itself in about a week.

I completely forgot about Silent Hill, it was alright if not entirely brilliant. Screwed up ending though.

I retract my previous statement about angst and so forth. That will be reserved for the sequel, which even as a game-> was full of it. If the prince gets an emo fringe so help us all.

Of course Disney doesn't always do shit. Mickey Mouse was great.

7. heehaw666

heehaw666 New Member

Agreed, but you can't forget such "awesome" classics like "House of the Dead"

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

Fucking Jake Gyllenhaal is the Prince. This movie is fucked already.

9. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

10. Gjerdev Ankarus

Gjerdev Ankarus New Member

Even if it were, and even if he was good for the role, they should still have someone who at least looks remotely Arabic for such a role as prince of an Arabian kingdom (to say nothing of talks, acts, et cetera). Y'know, like, an ARAB, maybe?

11. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

To show the real version of that vacuum cleaner reference:

Link

12. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Such things happen often in Hollywood; even in the old movies, they preferred not real Indians in Westerns or fake Jews in Ben Hur then the real ones. I think they should think it over, because there should not any American/English speech in the movie (Or any people, who look too much American or English.), because that will (would) make everything very wrong.

13. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Except if they did the movie entirely in Arabic then nearly nobody in America would go see it. Especially given the recent events with an Arab opening fire on a graduating military class.

14. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Precisely. I would expect Gyllenhaal was chosen over an actual Arab solely for safety concerns. Don't Arabs kill people?

15. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I think you must have the wrong definition of marketing tactics. The Prince of Persia already started targeting angsty teenagers, so it would only be a moronic marketing tactic if this was a feel-good film.

Hitman was an okay movie (not great, but if it hadn't been attached to a video game and hadn't stolen its opening scene from Dark Angel, it would have held its own in the action genre). Tron was sweet, too. And say what you will, the first Pokemon movie was fucking awesome. Even the second one, which had a MASSIVE AIRSHIP OF DESTRUCTION!!!!!!

Arthgon: You realize that Prince of Persia was originally made by English people, right (now it's made by French people, but they do it in English)?

Everybody Else: You realize that Persians are Persian, right? And not Arabic? They're actually different ethnic groups. Modern day Persians live in Iran and Eastern Iraq. They'll probably saturate the film with Arabs, but it will still be wrong as long as he is in Persia.

They'll probably do Gyllenhaal up in Persian costuming. Persians and Caucasians aren't really that drastically different, and the Prince never really looked all that Persian anyway. He's always more resembled Aladdin to me, who in turn looked Jewish.

16. heehaw666

heehaw666 New Member

Only if he has any lines. Silent part... Perfection...

17. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

The Prince is an American emo teenager in the games, too. Especially in Warrior Within, but that's the executives' fault.

My guess is that...hm. Since they didn't hire Uwe Boll or any of the other writers who like to pop out crap for the lowest common denominator, I really think it'll do well, even if most video game movies suck.

Sands of Time is an action game with a lot of parkour sequences and slo-mo effects. Of -course- that'll make a good movie.

18. Charonte

Charonte Member

Sands of time is also a lot more colorful than the others - it's more tongue-in-cheek instead of angsty teenager. I can see sands of time as a feel-good film (in a sense), funnily enough.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I enjoyed "Stardust", plus "Coraline" was fucking awesome. More Gaiman adaptations, please! I'm looking forward to the "Graveyard Book" movie.
    On a different note, let's not forget that "Ringu" was based on a book as well. There are quite some good movie adaptations of books.

Game-based movies are a different thing, though. "Silent Hill" was indeed outstanding. I expected very little from the "Doom" movie, which is probably the reason why I actually enjoyed it. I'm a fan of the "Resident Evil" movie trilogy, even though I know it is far from perfect. Also, "Mortal Kombat: Conquest" was an important part of my childhood.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Stardust was a delightful film and had me rolling in the aisles. Especially when THAT scene with Robert deNiro came on. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, get your arse off the chair and see that film. It is so much fun.) I also loved The Secret Garden when I was a kid, and still do.

Silent Hill scared the pants off me, and the ending left it pretty wide open to make a second film drawing from the second game. And we all know the second Silent Hill would make a BADASS movie.

And I still have a massive soft spot for the first Mortal Kombat movie, as well as the TV series. Man, I used to love that show. I would stay up til 3am on a school night to catch it.

Our Host!