How do I get over mountains on world map?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Archea47, Mar 7, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to the world of Arcanum, but loving it! I have a question, how do I cross the mountains on the World Map? I recieved the quest for the Ruby Glade in Stillwater but cannot figure out how to get past the mountains to the north between the Glade and the rest of Arcanum I have visited. My character is all technology and the only magical character in my party of any merit is Virgil. I know that dwarf from the Isle of Dispair nor the half ogres are gonna find a way to teleport us!

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

There are only two mountain passes, however if you follow the main storyline you will learn where they are at a time that best suits the story.

3. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

Alright, I'm on my way to stillwater after restoring the wheel clan king's reign, hopefully i will be able to reach where i want to go through some way to the elven forests

4. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

well shoot ... the guy M somethin or another, the elf for some reason won't talk to me. He tells me each time to come back tomorrow. I am a dwarf all the way technologist, lots of these folk dont like me. The guy on the way to the cave also wont talk to me

I read that i could steal the guy's amulet, and deliver to the hedgewizard in shrouded hills. I tried this, but that guy's got it out for me because I spilled the beans on his steam engine plan. What can I do now? This sucks ... :lol:

5. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

I wussed out and found the location of the pass on this wonderful site, it didnt reveal its location on the world map till within 5 or so units so I guess you really aren't supposed to stumble upon it

6. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

You give the amulet to the elven healer in Shrouded Hills, not the Hedge Wizard.

7. Box of Fox

Box of Fox New Member

When you give her the amulet, she'll tell you where Qintarra is, which I believe also will show you one of the 2 passes that allow you to go through the mountains.

I haven't played technology very far, I always wondered how a technologist gets to the other side-- as a mage I just teleported to the Ruby Glade, and then used Invisibility to actually get the ruby instead of prowling.

8. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

Thanks for the advice! The amulet is useless to me since all magical items have 0% so I went back and got the experience by giving it to her. I forgot she was even there in the shrouded hills

9. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Who needs a proper pass, just sneak along the wastelands,
    following the river and get past the mountains over the top
    of the wheel clan. It takes a series of worldmap
    micro-clicking and running through the wilderness, but it
    gets you there....

Hey, we dont need no stinkin' passes!

10. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Finally, someone who understands! Following the plot gets you nowhere if you REALLY want to enjoy the game.

11. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Its not easy in this game though, its got a rigid script
    that they want you to follow. At least they dont have
    a time limit on quests. It makes it easier to do your
    own thing instead.

Wonder what would happen if you intentionally mucked
    things up, starting with wacking Virgil at the start, and
    taking out Bates before he can tell you about the BMC
    dwarfs? :D

12. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

I always assumed thats what the diary was for ... i mean I wasted him like I do all sorts of fools who wanna talk tough before I hit the quickload :D Would I not be able to win the game if I did that?

13. Grossenschwamm

Here's a tough one: I decided that I didn't like how Randver was talking about his "Lost Father in the Dredge," So I ended the conversation and used one of the aiming hotkeys to cut his head off. I went down into the dredge, found Log-Hair, pissed him off enough to get him to attack me, and i went on my way, killing the entire wheel clan to carve a path to the entrance. I got no plot furthering information, but having played through he game a couple times before, I knew where to go next. However, considering I found the wheel clan, I was still able to get to Qintarra and complete the game from that point, and I had conversation options as if I had really talked to Log-Hair, as opposed to killing him for back-sassing me.

14. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

"ONE OF THE AIMING HOTKEYS"?!?!?!

I got arcanum from some bullshit box that markets it like an arcade game and didnt come with a manual. I've been figuring out how to play as I go along. Can you really aim? All I know is I've been blowing off people's whole lower torsos with spines hanging out -- even better than fallout 2!

15. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

Another quick question: (btw aqua teen hunger force is on) Outside P. Schyuler and Sons there was a dwarf, looking for the lost dwarven family them ol humans were dishonouring. I told the humans I would tell no one, then I saw the dwarf and he asked if his clan was down there. I told him no right away, cause a snitch is a bitch, but then I got all sad like cause I'm a dwarf and should be lookin out for the homies not protecting some necropheliacs. Unfortunately I couldn't tell the dwarf otherwise after I told em I didn't know what was goin on/ What would/did yall do?

16. Grossenschwamm

Ha! Yeah. The aiming keys are comma, period, and M. comma is a headshot, period is arms, and M is legs. I think. Actually, I don't think M is one ofthem. but, the next time you think about attacking someone, press down the comma key and click on them.
    To your second question, I always help Magnus out, even if I am an evil player in my current game. Basically, if you have a high enough level when you meet him, and you're good enough (at that time), he'll join you and help you kick the Shuylers' asses into hell. And it's true, his clan isn't down there. You find his clan later, as a part of a subquest, and if Log-Hair Thunderstone is in your party at the time, he names Magnus the head of his long lost clan. Awwww.

17. Maximus

Maximus New Member

No way! I got robbed! I had Magnus and Loghead with
    me at the Iron Clan, and aside from Magnus getting all
    sentimental on me, nothing else happened.

Or did I miss something?

Regarding Magnus, I always take him with me. He's a
    decent fighter, hauls lots of loot, and even makes stuff.

Virgil on the otherhand is worthless to a techy after
    about mid game, and he's a lousy fighter. Ditch him
    and keep Magnus.

And yeah, if figures they wont let you escape the plot.
    Oh well, at least you can make mistakes without
    worrying about it.

18. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

How do you get the dwarf king to join your party? I convinced him to reclaim his throne, was that my chance?

19. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Stop the double posting, it's getting annoying. Anyway, as soon as you've found out about what really happened to the BMC dwarves, you can join up with Raven and LogHAIR (nice joke before, "Loghead" :lol: )
    Just go back to the Wheel-Clan and talk to him. He'll join you automaticly.

20. Archea47

Archea47 New Member

Sorry, I didn't realize I had double posted. I am out of town and the pay by the minute access is really slow and oftentimes pages stop loading halfway through

Are there any copies of the Arcanum manual online?

Our Host!