How come there ain't no brothas in Arcanum?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zexaqaxez, Dec 20, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

FIRE?! What? Where?!
    Hey, I've just been working and spending some time with the family.
    And as far as this race thing goes -- well, those of you who know me won't it the wrong way when I say: There are no Black characters because there are no Black programmers.
    Please, no responses saying, "But I have a Black friend and he's great with computers".

2. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

There is a terrible brush fire in Australia very close to Sydne. The whole city looks ablaze :sad: they say more then 150 homes have been lost so far :sad:

Oh btw I totally get what you were trying to say about programers.

3. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

My uncle lives in Sydney... I hope they're all right...

BTW, just to annoy you, I have a black friend and he's great with computers :grin:

Still, I'm with anox on this one - if we have black *humans* then doesn't it stand to reason that there'd be black *orcs* around there too? But it's kind of irrelevant anyway, because there aren't even any black humans. Probably just a space issue.

4. Longtooth

Longtooth New Member

two sides of the coin.

aside from space issues, Arcanum is Tolkein based. Middle Earth was based around northern european cultures of a certain time period. I've read that he edited tomatoes out of the story because those were a "new world" food. Now in those parts of the world back then there may have been a few black people but we aren't dealing with a melting pot like America.

Now the flip side of that argument is that by the time this fantasy world starts developing technology it should also have a broader world view. With technology and change some "color" should have been introduced as well into the world of Arcanum. I thought it a little odd that there were no black characters in Arcanum. IF anything just to be PC.

5. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

ok, now as far as we know from playing the game, arcanum is a single continent world, now don't you think that with all the other races, ie elves, dwarves etc, that the "human" race might not of had the "space" to spread out over the world and develop "independently" from other groups of humans to develop the different genetic "mutations" (for lack of a better word) to produce the different characteristics to become "black" or "chinese" for that matter.
    this now answers the question and i declare the topic closed!

6. AsenathWaite

AsenathWaite New Member

There's kids in Arcanum!

I've seen a couple kids wandering around Dernholm. I imagine you can put portraits into the game -although I haven't tried it. Just plop in Michael Dorn, equip him with an axe and go kick some.

7. Zen

Zen New Member

Phew!

Now I`m suddently glad I didn`t post a reply to this thread earlier as I thought the subject was: "Why isn`t there any brothels in Arcanum?"

...the answer to that question in this thread may have led to some discomfort I think.

- Zen

8. Clothos_Vermillion

Clothos_Vermillion New Member

In Tolkien, the black people could have lived to the far south, past Harad, or possibly to the east past Mordor. The books don't specify, and it is another world, not real, so this is really irrelevant.

9. Wangus

Wangus New Member

Well I guess I can speak for myself and only myself, but I'm asian. Taiwanese to be exact.

I always imagined that the elves were very close to being asian-like. Slanted-eyes, stubborn-people, and short. Seems very asian in my opinion. Maybe that's because I just like elves though. Oh well.

Wangus

10. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Hate to break it to you, but those were gnomes and halflings.

11. lodi16

lodi16 New Member

its a GAME!

its just a game get over it and for you to ask something like that tells me that you are just as raciest as anyone eles like most blacks are you just like to use that poor me im black bull shit were you ever a slave no were you ever made to sit at the back of the bus no soget over youre self and stop the pitty party think you got it bad try being a single healthy white man i cant get food stams or a free house in the projects people like you make me sick

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

You're crossing the line lodi. Keep your "enlightment" that has to do with any stereotyping to yourself.

Our Host!