how can you suck at diablo2? its an rpg type thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ioo, Feb 18, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Ryoko Habuki:
    Look what some lamer managed to say on another forum... We need a picture Milo, People Against Ryoko Habuki - PARH...or GARH for Gamers. or RG for rolegamers or something... :smile: The reason for this is... there are a few actually.

First off D2 is in no way an RPG.
    Secondly how can you say you can't suck at RPGs. Good RPGs require at least as much skill as all the other games, if not more.
    Thirdly... HE CALLED D2 AN RPG!!!

2. Gonk

Gonk New Member

I don't think lame is the right word. In what context was this brilliant statement made?

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I met a guy on irc, who said: If a character levels, it means the game is an rpg.... After I heared that, I gave word to my Taliban buddies as to who the next "surprise" mail is heading to.
    PS he also got banned from the channel. (not by me)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinxed on 2002-02-18 14:57 ]</font>

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm not defending him, but he did say "rpg type thing. I would classify D2 as an RPG type thing as well, although it doesn't come even close to being an RPG. If your character can't develop personality, then it isn't an RPG.

5. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Gonk, there was no context, that was his whole post... it was a response to a guy ranting about how he sucks at all games, even D2.

Jar, even if it is an RPG type thing... Though it should be classified as action adventure, but everyone wants to be a cool role player gamer, so that increases sales... Who would want to play an action adventure when they could be playing an action adventure RPG, whatnot?..

Besides just because it's an RPG doesn't mean you can't suck at it... and just because its D2 doesn't mean you can't suck at it either... I had a friend who really sucked at D2... not that he was low level and itemless. He sucked for his level even if you give him items. :smile: But that's ok D2 isn't worth playing anyways.

6. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Can't develop personality? I dunno what you mean. My characters in D2 have had a wide variety of personalities.

The first one was this warrior guy. His interests were swinging a sword many, many time, and drinking the occasional red potion. He did it all with a determined air and would occasionally come up with insightful comments.

My next was a druid. His interests had nothing to do with swinging swords. He liked to swing mauls, and had a potion habit that included the blue ones. He approached the whole thing with resolved air. While he also came out with the occasional comment, they seemed to lack the insight of warrior-dude.

Having dabbled with role-playing on my first couple of attempts, I decided my third would have a real extreme personality, nothing like the first two. She wouldn't swing weapons at all. She did carry a staff, but never swung it. Her interests were mainly concerned with trying to ebat her number-of-novas-in-a-second record, and would rather die than touch a red potion. I know this to be true, because she could often be seen running towards her own corpse, while I thought "if only I'd drunk the red one." She approached the whole thing with quiet decisiveness and (this is where she was whacky) her comments sounded kinda whiney.

About the only thing any of these characters seemed to share personality-wise, was avarice. They chased items like psychos, even to the point of snatching them away from party members who had just helped them slay Baal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-18 17:40 ]</font>

7. kcwong

kcwong New Member

<snip Druid stuff>

Then you can even role-play in Doom!
    "I'm a super killer, and I use chain-saw only!"

Or even Final Fantasy!
    "My Cloud uses only summon KoRT and Phoenix materia! Summon Chocobo is for girls! He won't use it!"

Roleplaying is means playing a role - when you're playing the game, you are not you anymore. You're the character you're playing. You think like him/her. You make decisions. You imagine you're where your character is, not inside your comfortable home, in front of a computer/table.

Roleplaying is more than weapon choices, combat tactics or speaking to NPCs. It's acting. Acting as another living person.

Of course what you do in D2 is roleplay, but that's only part of it. Actually, one can roleplay (or not to roleplay) in any game. You can always think (or not to think) yourself as the character/sprite you're controlling. You can roleplay in Fallout. In Grim Fandango. In Monkey Island. In FPS. You can even roleplay in Super Mario! (I love turtles... I won't step on them; I love $$$... I won't leave a level without collecting all of the goodies etc.)

But would you say Super Mario is an RPG? Or Sonic the Hedgedog?

I think an RPG must have enough facilities to enable and aid role-playing. Compared to others, D2 doesn't seem like a RPG to me. It's more like a game of action/tactics/dungeon crawl/treasure hunt. Same goes for Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. Not that I think D2 and PoR2 are bad games - they're good at what they're doing.

IMO even Arcanum, BG series and Torment are limited - but that's a technology problem. Without a true AI - a thinking electronic mind, CRPGs will never be good RPGs. I think NWN will become the standard of a new generation of RPG by introducing human DM back into play.

8. Ioo

Ioo New Member

This guy is good, even I can't tell his sarcasm from the real thing.

9. Sheriff Fatman

Sarcasm? Why, I don't know what you mean. I was just relating some of my Diablo role-play experiences ...

10. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Yeah and that other guy is really good!

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I had a guy who was obsessed with swords and loved to jump around. In fact, one time he even jumped, and just stayed in the air! (Not kidding, he was caught between catwalks in the Arcane Sanctuary. Funniest thing that ever happened to me :smile:).

I also had a psychotic woman who took on Diablo with a few spikey things on her arms and almost no resistances...

In my travels, I also encountered a woman in a tight-fitting and revealing leather outfit who didn't use anything but a bow. Weird people, the lot of them. Kept on going on about some "Wanderer" and "Prime Evils"...The only "Prime Evil" in this world is the bartender who won't serve me booze because I don't have any money!

12. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

yeah i'm sorry about that J but i had orders from management to get your broke arse out to make room for people who can pay to see me work my mojo behind the bar, you know how it is

13. Galvaron

Galvaron New Member

14. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Well If you go there... I had a guy who liked spinnage...get it? spinach!! bahaha barbarian!

15. Milo

Milo New Member

!

*cough*
    Diablo is an RPG type thing in the same way my character in High Heat Baseball or Civ III or any game is an RPG type thing. In every game I can think of, you assume a character. My guy really likes to take home run swings at fastballs, but he sucks at hitting curveballs. When he strikes out, he goes home and kicks his dog. Also when he's on the road, he cheats on his wife. This is his personality. My guy really hates Gandhi for no good reason and goes out of his way to destroy the Indian civilization in every game. This is his personality. When I play pac-man, my character prefers turning left rather than right, and he levels up by eating the big dots. That is why Pac-Man is an RPG.

16. Sheriff Fatman

No, no, no! That's just contriving a role playing aspect, and not like Diablo2 at all. Where's the sword swinging? Where's the potion drinking? I dunno - vomit on someone's leg, and they suddenly think they know role playing ...

I know Diablo2 is a roleplaying game. It got Runner up in the Gamespy RPG Game of the Year Awards 2000. Civ 3 got winner of the STRATEGY GotY Awards 2001.

You see the difference?

17. Milo

Milo New Member

Yes. Yes I do see the difference now.

But you still haven't discounted PacMan. That's a classic RPG (type thing). You have your character chomping through dungeons, bravely fighting the undead. Grabbing power-ups to help him in his quest. There's even an evolving storyline to it concerning Mrs. PacMan and PacMan Jr.

Also, I would like to nominate Gauntlet as the ultimate RPG (type thing). Action game? Nonsense! You get to choose what class you want to be. Therefore it is an RPG. Type thing.

18. Sheriff Fatman

I didn't discount PacMan. Actually, it's one of my favourite RPG(TT)s of all time. I believe it won Surly and Miserable Games Magazine's RPG(TT) GotY Award in 1980.

Gauntlet is clearly a God Sim (type thing) because it gives you complete control over the destiny of your population, allowing you to decide how to build him up, where to stand, run or fire and which resources he should collect and use to further his racial destiny.

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Command and Conquer is an RPG type thing too! You choose what special skills you want (buildings), how to use the skills (troops) and how to complete the game (sneak attacks or massive rushes). IT'S OBVIOUSLY AN RPG TYPE THING!!!

20. Sheriff Fatman

Jar, you're off your nut; C&C is fairly obviously a sports sim (type thing).

Two opposing teams, each trying to create tactics and formations, make it to opposing part of the playing area and shoot their projectiles on target.

As Milo said, of course there is an element of role-play wih sports sims, but why try t pretend a game is something it's not?

Our Host!