How big is your...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M@de in China, Dec 2, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

...monitor?

Whad did you think I was going to say? Sicko.

Anyways mine's a standard 17"

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

19 inch. 22 inch was just WAAAAY to friggin big for my desk. :) Except that nice flat-screen one...

3. Nakar

Nakar New Member

17" flatscreen. Except it really *is* 17 inches. As opposed to my old CRT that was ~16" for a supposedly 19" monitor.

4. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Most interesting thread name. It could have been anything that you were asking what teh size of was. It could have been foot, head, brain, anything! But monitor, never would have though about that.

Anyways, mine is pretty old, I think I got it around 98 or 00, somewhere around there. It's like a 17 inch. It was pretty big at the time. It's not flat screen either. I need to get a new one. Even though this one has not really been giving me much problems. But it could be the thing giving me my head aches. =/

5. Windmills

Windmills New Member

22 inch flatscreen Sony Trinitron. Nice eh? Funny story about that:

I bought a whole Micron package a few years back with a 17 inch monitor. 2 years later, I was playing some game, I don't remember which, for far too long (We're talking over 10 hours straight or something insane like this), and the monitor didn't just overheat, it caught on fire.

After dousing the flames (Okay well really my husband doused the flames and then got me to stop screaming my fool head off) I called up micron and told them what happened. (My comp. was on 3-year warranty, too)

They were extremely nice and apologetic - shocking for a big name national computer corporation - and said that if I sent them back my busted, half-melted monitor, they would send me a replacement, free of charge.

And that they did, only, instead of replacing my monitor with another 17-inch, I got this schnazzy 22 inch baby.

Needless to say, if this was a mistake on their part, I never called them back to correct them. ;-)

6. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

yeah, see I've had my computer/monitor on for much longer than that so it was probably their fault

Of course their going to be nice, they don't want a big fat lawsuit

Good for you! Power to the people!!![/quote]

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

8. carlstar

carlstar New Member

oh i'm very behind the times with a small 15" or is it 15' (i live in a metric country so don't know which is which)

9. Milo

Milo New Member

How big is my monitor? Lemme check...

OK

Height 17.9" (454mm)
    Width 18.3" (465mm)
    Depth 18.7" (475mm)
    Net Weight 55.0 lbs. (25.0 kg)

10. xento

xento New Member

My room monitor is a 17". I think I should check up on getting a flat screen sometime...

Aren't flatscreens either hard to read/see or they don't make black colors fully black?

Or are just flat TV's like that? :-?

11. Milo

Milo New Member

Generally, higher priced monitors tend to be flatscreens. They also tend to be Aperture Grill tube monitors like the Sony Trinitron or Mistubishi Diamondtron.

Cheaper monitors tend to be non-flat or almost flat. They also tend to be Shadow Mask tube monitors.

Without getting into it too deeply, Aperture Grill monitors trade a little in sharpness for more vibrant colors, brightness and contrast. It's not a great deal of sharpness lost for the big gains in vibrancy, but it is noticeable when trying to read small text. Shadow Mask monitors excel at reproducing things like sharp text but can seem dull when compared to AG monitors.

So, you could say that "flatscreens are hard to read", but it's a generalization. Regarding flatscreens not making "black colors fully black"; that one makes no sense to me. The increased contrast means the darks are darker and the lights lighter. Also, since the screens are flat, there should be less glare from ambient light, making them seem dark parts of the screen seem darker than on a non-flat.

12. xento

xento New Member

Well, once I heard that someone who had gotten a flat-screen TV said that the blacks are a little more grey then black. That is where that claim came from.

13. Milo

Milo New Member

Well, maybe they need to spend a little more time fucking with the controls or something.

Or maybe Flatscreen TVs are different than Flatscreen CRT Monitors, I don't know. I could've sworn that Flatscreen TVs were aperture grille, though.

Our Host!