Hitchhiker's guide to the what the fuck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Riciky, Mar 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Riciky

Riciky New Member

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Does he HAVE to be white? Of course, if they change the character and make him "urban" I'm going to be pissed, that PC, target the black audience shit is more racist than just assuming that you don't need an "urban" character in order to get a large group of black people interested in the movie.

3. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Yes, he has to be white because he was white in the book. Keep the damn characters how they are originally. Thus, I was pissed when Kingpin turned out to be black in Daredevil the Movie, because he's white in the comics. Keep it the way it's supposed to be. The most recent ethinc-change travesty is the casting of a Northern European actor with blue eyes and northern features as Punisher, who can't exist without his Sicilian heritage. Frank Castle is short for Franco Castellini. Damn those bastards. And John Travolta is cast as a non-Italian! Does insanity never cease? It's just pointless. The Punisher and the Mafia go together hand in glove; it would be easier, plot-wise, to have Howard Saint be a Mafia Godfather then some random "Anglo mobster." Anglo mobster my ass.

4. Canis

Canis New Member

You know what pisses me off? How they made Henry Jekyll dependent on his formula to become Edward Hyde in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, when he no longer needed it in the comic. Jeez, Jekyll didn't even need it at the end of the BOOK ferchristsake. PLUS, as you know Hyde started out smaller than Jekyll and grew larger over the years as he matured and absorbed more and more of Jekyll's urges and drives; his size has nothing to do with how much formula Jekyll consumes. So how could the bad guy in the movie immediately become huge upon drinking the formula? He should have become SMALLER, at which point Edward could have squashed him like a bug, end of story.

BUT NOOOOOOOOOO Sean Connery has to fuck up the comic for his own personal ego project. If he weren't so damn sexy I'd wish him ill will and various unpleasantness. Harumph.

Yes, I'm being pissed off over randomness tonight.

5. Settler

Settler Member

Yes, he has to be white! This is a travesty!

tokentokentokentokentokentokentokentokentoken

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Settler needs to take his medicine...

Sigurd: I always thought the guy who they picked to play the king pin was a good choice, because he's the only actor I can think of who could play the part physically, just because of how big he is.

As for Ford Prefect, he might have been white in the comic books, and the really really awful BBC mini-series I have the misfortune of owning on DVD, but nowhere in the book itself does it specify skin tone, as far as I can remember at least. (Either way does it really matter? His heritage is non-essential to his character.)

The whole Frank Castle thing... Who cares? He didn't look stereotypically italian in the comic books, why should he look like a tanned, chain smoking, sports car driving, womanizing, grease ball in the movies?

7. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Douche, have you read the recent Punisher comics? He looks very Italian, and I'm not talking about the negative stereotypes you just spouted. The current artist is quite skilled at representing ethnic heritage, and his version of Punisher is distinctly Italian-looking, with a prominent Roman nose, deep-set eyes, etc. And he kills goombah mobsters, which is basically his MO, and has been since the inception of the character.

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

You don't have to be Italian to kill Italians! Why just the other day I...
    Wait. No I didn't. I thought it was kind of funny the way you put your last post "No, I'm not talking about those negative stereotypes, I'm talking about his relationship with organized crime!" Kind of funny/ironic.
    Forget about it.

Anyway, at least they didn't recast Dolph Lundgren. You should at least be happy about that.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Why did they choose to have a black man play Ford Prefect you ask?

Forty-two lads, it's got to be forty-two...

10. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Obviously you don't have to be Italian to kill Italians. Look at Il Duce and the McManis Brothers in The Boondock Saints. Damn that movie rules. But the point is, the original character of Frank Castle is Italian and kills Mafiosi, therefore every version of him should be the same. I like continuity.

Damn right. Tall, meathead German guy with bad English cast as busky Italian from New York? No.

11. Canis

Canis New Member

He's Swedish, meathead, and he's brilliant, AND his English is better than Bush's. He's got a Master's in chemical engineering from an Australian university after all, and also attended MIT on a Fulbright.

Plus he's dreamy. :heart:

12. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I'm dreamy, Italian, two years ahead in college, and I have better English skills than your high school English teacher. And you're not hurrying up to Binghamton to make love to me. What's up with that? I breath fire, to boot!

Why do I randomly flirt with Canis on rare occasions? I don't know.

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Dreamy is subjective. I'm not female, but I also don't know of many females who go for skinhead firebreathers in wife beaters?

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Not a great challenge from what I hear of the American educational system :).

There was an English teacher at our school who managed to misspell banana. She was a dumb lazy bitch, who drove to the staff room during breaks.

15. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm pretty damn sure I recall Prefect having red hair. I'm also quite confident that the book mentioned freckles. Not that many black people have red hair and freckles.

Canis, I'm Swedish. And you can't disagree with me when I say that I've got a knack for expressing myself in English. And while I probably fail to live up to the other things you mentioned, that's at least two out of five desireable epithets!

So, what are you really waiting for, huh? :heart:

16. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Douglas Adams really left his characters' appearance up to the imagination, I don't think he does any direct descriptions at all. For a while it isn't even clear that Zaphod has two heads

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I'm smart, articulate, even when I'm drunk, I don't even remember all the ethnicities I am, but most of them are European, and I think I'm both part Swedish AND part Italian. I'm smart, hell I even know where Bosmark is DE, or at least I think it's around the middle of Sweden in terms of North/South, and towards the coast of whatever gulf that is, Bothna, Bothina, Bothnia, etc.

Plus I'm young enough, turning 17, that I can be easily corrupted by beautiful, canine-loving women. ;)

*Is it just me or is this place turning into a dating service, or at least a pitiful losers who want a date service.

18. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Then I guess you don't know my last two girlfriends. My brother-in-law is a skinhead firebreather in a wife beater (he's in a yellow shirt in the picture) and he had no problem finding a wife, obviously. Do women go for angry Red diaper-doper babies like you?

My God, I created a monster. The day I'll be trying to meet women on the internet is the day I'll have recieved disfiguring burns.

19. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

Canis, think of it this way: If Edward squashed him immediately, there wouldn't have been that big fight scene between the Under-Dog and the Second in Command, and every good movie needs that. :) So yea, they did bend the comics a little, but it was because they needed to. the Kingpin thing got me mad as well. I'm glad that Spawn was kept pretty-true to the comic, though I never laid hands upon the first 10, so I'm not exactly sure on that one. Sleek, I agree with what you said about Punisher (or was it SIgurd?), Punisher isn't Punisher without the Sicilian Blood.

20. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I shouldn't be a matter of or was it, just look up and you'll see Sleek defacing comics and Sigurd valiantly defending Punisher's Sicilianicity.

Our Host!