"Hey man this is Dave, you got the stuff?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EvilEyesBan, Oct 3, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

(Long annoying post about new CD's/DVD's/whatever ahoy!)

My friend works at Coconuts now, so I got the new Thrice CD, the new Thursday CD for free, and a really rare H.I.M. CD.(Which I actually had to pay for)

I'm not sure if any of you would listen to Thrice or Thursday I'd say they're both fairly new rock bands, with Thrice leaning to the harder side. But overall I feel their new CD's both outclass all of their previous efforts musicially. You can grab on of the new Thursday tracks on mp3.com and you may have heard one of their songs on the U.S. radio if that is your location and you listen to alternative stations.

From Thrice you need to download "Paper Tigers" or "Under a Killing Moon" Their whole new CD is crazy, it's mostly based on the Witch-Hunts of Salem. I'd give you more useless information as the CD came with lots of nifty little note cards about the songs but I should move onto H.I.M. now.

I don't know how many Europeans we have on this board but I'm sure those there may have heard of H.I.M.(His Infernal Majesty) or actually listen to them. But they're really good Metal. And if you're into that kind of thing you should look into them (www.Heartagram.com) though mind you that some shitty Jazz band is named HIM too(Without the little .'s) so be careful if you go to download something.

I also figured to mention that I got an Audioslave DVD a week or so ago, and it's rad. Who'd have thought Chris Cornell was still alive and producing music with Rage(Sans-Zach De'La'rosa(sp?)

As far as PC games go the Age of Mythology expansion is out, I'll probably pick up that as I've been playing more of that lately. I'm sure a lot of you guys probably have(or plan on getting) Greyhawk real soon, be sure to let everyone know how that is.

On another note Pep-Rallys are the most annoying functions ever to attend, I still can't hear right, or see the point to trying to outscream the other grades. As a matter of fact, our football team better win or else the shit is going to hit the fan over me not being able to fully enjoy my CDs.

So what's up with you guys, anything new purchased lately?

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

lol

dude, i heard the illusion of safety almost a year and a half ago, back when it was just a demo album and you could only get burned copies of it at shows... or wait, no, the album before that was only burned copies i think, but whatever. my point is that thrice isnt as new as you think. oh well, i guess you live in the mid-west or on the east coast or something huh? iving in california certainly gives you an advantage when it comes to knowing what is "cool" etc, or hearing new bands...

i dont really dig their new album, illusion of safety was really good though, but may be i'll give their second one a shot even though i'm really into music with less ambiguous lyrics...

btw, him isnt really all that great, they've just been popularized by the whole cky/jackass thing, so now skaters like them, but the only good thing about them is that their singer is really good, and their keyboardist knows what hes doing. the drummer and the bassist and the guitarist are just tagging along though, all three of them suck ass, especially the drummer, you could have never played a drum kit before and as soon as you'd figured out how to keep time between your feet you could play his drum parts. the bassist is usually just changing between which single string note hes playing during the intro, verse, chorus, and outro. the guitarist isnt awful but hes no lead player, most of the good melody stuff is done by the keyboardist and the guitar is just there for the crashing drama provided by its special effects setup. they're ok, but they're not amazing, and you can usually find an import or two of them in any sam goody's these days, but you'll wind up paying around 30 dollars. i think you can find their american releases in most tower records though. i dont DISLIKE them, i'm just tired of hearing people talk about how cool it is to listen to them because they're "under the radar" which is like saying AFI hasnt been sucked up by the mainstream establishment...

and by the way, HIM are not metal, if you want to hear metal download some "strapping young lad" thats a retty stereotypical example of modern heavy metal. for death metal download some "cannibal corpse." you'll hear the difference between what HIM plays (gothic love rock) and what real heavy metal is right away.

if you really want to hear something special find out where the closest club is that has regular showings of alternative bands, some of the best stuff out there is the stuff you can hear downtown in some of the hipper cities. finding the alternative rock scene near you shouldnt be too hard, the next time you're in a tower records look for fliers on the the counter near the checkout, or just ask the clerk with the spiked hair about where to hear good local bands. all the big guys started small, and the best way to obtain that whole "i heard them first" cool factor is to hear the small bands, and with any luck one or two of them will eventually be a big band.

3. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

Sheesh Sleek, do you have to turn everything into a half assed un-informed argument? I've been listening to Thrice since the Identity Crisis Album, which was before Illusion of Safety, Mr. Underground. As a matter of fact, the re-release of Identity Crisis was their first major CD and could be bought almost anywhere. And yeah I'd classify any-band that started off in 1999ish fairly "new" And some trivia for you "First Impressions" was their album they had 1000 or so copies of made and sold at their shows, and that was back in their 1999 days. I also note they're coming to Scranton on the 17th, and guess who is ordering tickets soon!?

By the way lololol way to try to one up me how do you like them apples, hunnhh!?!111

Moving on, CANNIBAL CORPSE IS REAL METAL!? What the hell, BRODDA? That's more like "Corpse-grinder" or whatever he likes to call himself just screaming about kicking down doors and stabbing people or cutting his dick with a razorblade(Which is the title of one of the songs) They may be worse than that band who writes death-metal songs about famous murderers. Macebre was it?

If you'd like to talk metal get some Dan Swano(Edge of Sanity) and for Death-Metal Cradle of Filth has to have the best arrangement of any death band ever. (Although Dani Filth's vocals are a little hard to digest sometimes, you just have to be in the mood I guess.)

I also don't really care if bands I like are popular, which seems to be a big problem with all of the "Punk" kids. Then again, I figure their five dollar Converse All-Stars are just too tight. I love AFI, I have since Black Sails, they are wildly popular with the angsty teens, but I love them just the same. Hell, Havok could give the CEO of Viacom a hummer on live TV while writing brooding poetry and I'd still buy their next album if they delivered.

As For H.I.M. being popular with the "skaters" now. Besides, Bam Margara's odd little thing he has for Vollo(Dressing like him and taking his name in "Haggard") that didn't take away from their music any. I also doubt many skaters even watch CKY.(Skaters still exist?)
    But I will agree that H.I.M.'s Guitar could use some work, but man, their bass? It's great. I don't see how you could dislike it unless you're one of those Matt-Freeman fans who has to have a bass intro, solo, and ending. And I'd like to know which Sam Goody you shop at, cause nobody around here carried ANY of their albums.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

sorry if i couldnt recal the name of thrice's first album you nut. at least i didnt call HIM heavy metal. all i was trying to say is that the best bands to support are local ones.

you must be completely out of it if you dont think there are skaters anymore. the market is flooded with skating paraphernalia. how old are you and where do you buy your clothes? go to any mall and find an "anchor blue" a "pac sun" etc the popular "quicksilver" "element" "osiris" brands and others like them are all skater related fashions. those shoes with the big fat tongues and extra padding inside? thats skate culture. AFI's original influenced were skate-punk bands like the misfits, and they got their first break when they were used for southern california skate videos. i dont ate, and i dont buy any of this stuff, buti guess enough of my friends do/did that i know what that whole scene is about. btw converse was purchased by Nike, and chuck taylors usually cost about 25-35 dollars anyway because ucking posers are killing the punk scene thanks to bands like blink 182, and sum 41...

and about skaters watching cky; have you ever SEEN cky? those movies were half stunts and half skate video! if you've never seen cky i highly suggest you download them off of kazaa as soon as possible, they are priceless (cky, cky2k, and cky3 are the only ones i know of, if they've made a cky4 tell me) jackass took out all of that skating stuff so they could fit more of the funny stuff in.

how can you say cannibal corpse isn;t real metal? their playing is amazing, if that isnt metal i dont know what is. i wouldnt classify cradle of filth as death metal, thats more "black metal" than anything (as far as i know death metal is all about the zombies and horror movie type stuff while black metal is more about worshipping satan (which imo is completely nihilistiand retarded)) but watever.

5. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

I called Him Metal not HEAVY metal. There are different tiers of classification and I'm sure there's nothing else really to classify them besides "rock" and that's a little too broad of a term.

I've seen all the CKY videos my friend is big on them, and has the boxset 1-4(Yes thereis a four) and Haggard. I admit they are all heavily skate-influenced since Bam is so into it, but I don't know that skaters in specific like the cky/jackass videos.

Skating isn't really as popular as it was in it's 90's hayday (I never ever see people riding them anymore or watching the X-games, or talking about skating.) But I do admit the clothing lines are all big. Pac Sun is filled with the clothes. And I myself find Vans more comfortable than any other shoes out there. I suppose the sub culture is still out there, but rarely will you see people skating around now-a-days.

I'm sorry, but if you think Cannibal Corpse is the least bit good then please purchase some musical taste as soon as possible. And while you're out buy some humanity.

6. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

concerning your opinion on how popular skating is have you ever heard of a little something called the X-games? you spend wayyyyy to much time surfing the internet or playing rpgs etc if you think skating isnt as popular as it was in the nineties. whats one of the most popular video games out there today? tony hawk pro skater. nickelodian has an extreme sports oriented cartoon show, and like you said, even YOU wear the shoes.

how can you suggest that something as blatantly targeting the lowest dredges of extreme sports fans as cky wouldnt be popular amongst skaters? just because there is NO skating scene in pensylvania (or at least no obvious one, i assure there are kids with skateboards in every state of america) doesnt mean there is no skate scene nationaly, why would companies promote stores like pac/sun and sell skate influenced clothing if their focus groups showed that "skating isnt popular anymore."

as for my taste in music, my KNOWLEDGE of what is popular amongst fans of a certain type of music... bah, i never said i liked cannibal corpse, its just that they are just about as heavy and fast as you can get, this being what heavy metal is all about. when you say metal what the fuck DO you mean? that the guitar is a little bit distorted? my dad once came into my room and told me to turn down that metal music garbage, and i was listening to Harvey Danger! this seems to be a problem you are having as well. if you et on kazaa and type in "metal" you will not find a single song slower than a 128/4 tempo i assure you. slightly distorted guitar accompaning slow melodic keyboard riffing with gothic love song vocals is not "metal" of any kind. HIM is gothic rock, no matter how you look at it. its too slow to be metal of any kind. as i said "strapping young lad" would be a good example of "metal" there is no difference between metal and heavy metal, one is just shorter than the other. like i said look it up online, theres no such thing as slow metal.

7. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

Oh, so lets see, you'd consider Max300 (hard trance) a metal song because it's 300 BPM? I'm sure you'd also conside "In Flames" metal or else you'd be eaten alive by metal-heads. Listen to "The Jesters Dance" That's a very slow song, but I'm sure it doesn't classify as metal.
    Or maybe Drain STH - Enter My Mind. It's slow, but fucking great and it's METAL. Maybe you should stop posting 10 times a day and actually aquire some of the "Knowledge" you're always bitching about, slut.

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

for the love of god... techno has nothing to do with it. metal has to nvolve guitars. my only point is that HIM is not metal of any type. i've heard it called "love metal" before, but thats a bunch of garbage they only mention in the forums on the HIM web site, i've never seen that description anywhere else.

thank you for calling me a slut, i'm not sure if your even trying to argue anymore, the only thing i am sure of is that you dropped the cky and the skating argument, and i'm not sure if you're trying to nvince my that HIM is heavy metal by backing up your position by telling me that techno could also be classified as metal? tempo is only part of it, and distorted guitars are also ONLY PART of it. you obviously have no idea what you are trying to argue with me about, only that you want to argue. i guess we can blame this on my initial post which was a little abrasive and insulting, so i apologize.

if you want me to i'll write to a guitar magazine or something and ask them if they could give me a definition of heavy metal, and a classification of the music produced by the band HIM, or ask my guitar teacher (who just got his doctorate in guitar theory, props to him btw) but other than that i dont know what to say to you, other than i'm sorry if i insulted you, and please dont call me a slut unless you are joking.

bee-atch :wink:

9. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Music is about as subjective as it gets. I think arguing about personal definitions of it is about as pointless as invading Iraq and trying to rebuild their infrastructure while suicide bombers keep blowing everything up and bringing the alleged "peace process" to a grinding halt. The only "death metal" or "black metal" out there is produced by bands that brand themselves as such. If THEY don't call themselves by such a non-descriptive term then I don't think you should, either. Listen to what you like and stop looking for lines that aren't there, PLEASE.

10. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

I just wish you'd make up your mind as to what the hell you want metal to be defined as.

First it's the tempo, now it has to include guitars. What next? Cowbell?

11. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

give me a fucking break, you know i meant it included guitars.

so let me sum it up for you with few examples of what metal is...

Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer are the most stereotypical examples.

the founding fathers would be iron maiden, AcDC, and Black Sabbath. these artists laced their music with dark lyrics, heavy guitar distortion, and fast (VERY fast for the time period) virtuoso fretwork.

check out these bands for what "metal" is.

some people have also described the music of joe satrianni, and steve vai as "space metal" which i dont argue with (but when they say this they are describing the faster songs, these two artists cover a highly eclectic range of rock/jazz/and blues fusion combinations. i prefer these guys to actual heavy metal, because it is actually listenable, while Slayer is not. acdc and iron maiden aint that bad either...

Our Host!