Hey everyone, say hello to the new guy!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Neo, Jul 20, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Neo

Neo New Member

hey everyone, ive been lurking here on and off for the last 2 years.
    I reinstalled arcanum recently and INSTANTLY became hooked again.
    since then i came back here to find that the forums are still semi-active.
    I've read posts and discussions as far back as 2001, and almost feel like i know a few of you guys and a few of the old posters who no longer seem to be around.

anyways, i finally decided to join the forums and try to belong to a community i should have joined 2 years ago when it was alive and kickin :D

anyways, besides saying hello also wanted to let everyone know im working on a few fixes and modifications to help "fix" arcanum like so many others have in the past,

after spending a few hours i finally figured out what was wrong with the medical arachnid and fixed it....just to come here not 1 day later and find a fix :lol: go figure.

recently i also made the "Schreck's Multi-Barreled Pistol" schematic available in the game (the actual one, not the non-working quest-related one) as well as fixing some of the "flaws" i found with some of the schematics. (mainly making it worth it by giving you 2 or 3 of the one-use items instead of just one, as well as fixing some plain errors in the schematics) Also making your followers learn better Schematics. (EG Magnus now gets a doctorat in Machines and Smithy, Jayna getting it in Ther, Ana and Chemestry) ect ect, making them have some actual use for once and consentrating on their strengths instead of wasting CP in things like BE and CH. :D

anyways, this post is already getting to long-winded, so if anyone out there still mods this game and would like to talk shop i'd love the conversation.

Cya guys around!

-Neo

2. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Hello, Neo; it's not up to me to give you a warm welcome, but I'll welcome you anyway ^_^. Thanks for engaging in the fixing of Arcanum, I'm sure many people will be grateful towards you. As regards anyone out here still modding the game, you should check out DarkUnderlord's profile, but BE WARNED! He's not your typical moderator. Remember what little Alice had to do when she met the Red Queen: every time you want to refer to him, "look up, speak nicely, and don't twiddle your fingers all the time."
    As a kind of new user myself, I can give you some pieces of advice (which doesn't mean you need to take them)
    1) Don't spam unless you want to be banned.
    2) Make sure you post your messages in the right forum (especially when it refers to Hints & Tips and Discussion).
    3) The "Search tool" is a must when it comes to asking for things. So search first and then you post; if there are no matches for your topic, go ahead, but if there are... beware.
    4) I also think that serious gravedigging is considered a punishable offense, so you may want to check the dates of the posts you find interesting and want to add your ideas to.
    5) If you want to take part in an adventure, this is your chance, "These hands' got blood on them" is the one running at the time; if you want to create your own adventure, that's fine, but remember to read the sticky in the Roleplaying Forum.
    6) Some people find the use of colours and / or smileys really annoying, so try to avoid it.
    Ummm... I can't think of anything else... Well, surely I'll be corrected by someone.
    See you around!

(I've just added the gravedigging stuff...)

3. Neo

Neo New Member

lol, ive seen many of his posts, he seems like a nice guy... a busy guy... but nice just the same.. we'll see ;)

1.) heheh spam isnt really my style, so no worries there.
    2.) Yea, like i said i've been reading this forum forever but just lurking and not posting, i have seen the many many many posts reguarding which posts go where, and i also see the GIANT red words telling me where and where not to ask questions ;)
    3.)Hrmmmm, never really tried any forum RP before, but who knows, maybe i'll give it a shot! thanks.
    4.)Avoiding smilies is a bit overboard.. i mean, they are there for a reason right? but of course overdoing it is always a bad idea, no worries there.

well i do appriciate the warm welcome and words of advice for sure! :)
    but no worries really, i might be new here but im not new to forums, ive been posting since before the internet took off (Old local BBS's if anyone even remembers them... man i feel old)

so again thanks, i think im going to enjoy my stay here.

-Neo

EDIT: lol you changed some stuff while i was replying, but i think u get the jist of what i was saying, as i did to what you were saying. Thanks again!

4. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

I smile alot. :)

If Jayna doesn't pump up her Beauty, you'll never get all those alternate quest resolutions:

Myrth: Bring me the pelt of the Stillwater Giant, and maybe I'll tell you where Qintarra is.

PC: Jayna, look pretty.

Jayna: Again? <groans>

PC: Tell me where Qintarra is, and you'll have her for the night.

Myrth: Boy howdy! It's right here on your map!

Of course, Jayna inexplicably pumps her Perception all the way to 19 then 20 late in her autolevel scheme. A shame she doesn't use any sort of ranged weapon. :)

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Hello to the new guy!

6. Neo

Neo New Member

I changed her to max out ananomical, theraputics, and chemsitry, ditched the BE and maxed the heal and dodge and melee... she is awsome now :)
    however i dont recall her putting anything into PE.

-Neo

7. Neo

Neo New Member

:D Thanks!

-Neo

8. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Hey DE, you're not everyone :p

9. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

Here's her autolevel scheme in the stock gamelevel.mes:

Note the PE 19 after MaxHPS 98, and the subsequent PE 20 after MaxHPS 110. After MaxHPS 120, she suddenly decides to take up Gambling--four full ranks!

It's funny how some of the autolevel schemes are riddled with these sorts of quirks/errors. (Godfrey Castleburger, the gnome gunfighter/gunsmith, after finally achieving his doctorate in gun smithy, has next on his slate--Perception 2. He's already got Firearms 5 and thus Perception 18, so it's obvious that they meant to put Perception 20. But noooo.... not only is PE 2 in gamelevel.mes, it appears in the Prima strategy guide as is--and as do all the other autolevel scheme gaffes. The world needs more editors.)

10. Neo

Neo New Member

Your correct, i do remember the gambling, but forgot about the PE, which i also removed (I went and checked the default after you said that ;) )

anyways, error after error after error, thats what happens without much time or many testers as well as having 10 people working on the same thing.

While "teaching myself" the ways of these files and scripts, i came across many many "notes" that the coders left to the other coders, some of which i dont know were ever seen or delt with, such as "change this soon please" or "i changed this, make sure tim knows" ect ect.

i can only imagine how many were left unfixed in there, most of us will never know.

funny enough among the mes files i found one called "quotes.mes" that is some really funny stuff uttered by the programmers while making the game, as the file stated "this is totally out of context, as it should be. ENJOY!" an obvious lil easter egg for curious people to find.

My favorite one said somthing along the lines of:
    "Apon entering Stillwater, i came apon two naked men who then proceeded to kick a bunny to death" which was an actual comment left by a tester to the dev team.

i laughed for a good hour about that one, dunno why it was so funny, but it was :D

-Neo

11. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I've encountered many weird things in the lands of Arcanum, for example, a whole pack of wolves killed (meaning ripped) by someone / something. That was freaky. That and the Death Lanterns actually killing a Will-o'-the-Wisp. It's true then that they feed on the Wisps.

12. Neo

Neo New Member

that reminds me....

[SPOILER*********************]

In caladon, durring that werewolf quest.
    I went to go check out the werewolf eating the bunnies at night.

well they all started attacking her (the wolf).
    one of them got a critical blow which knocked it down.
    After that, all 4 of them started pounding her until her FT droped below 0.

Needless to say, after that they continued to beat on her until she died.
    I was laughing so hard i woke my girlfriend up lol
    I then went to go tell her dad, but he claimed i did it :p
    a quick F8 solved that problem, but i swear it had to be one of the weirdest and most "un thought-through" possibilities for that quest.
    I'm sure that Troika never though that would be a factor when scripting that quest :)

[/SPOILER]

-Neo

13. Bunny

Bunny New Member

I've read from another user that Stanton gets attacked by his own bodyguards.
    Ahhh, one can't trust anybody these days...

14. Neo

Neo New Member

heheh awsome!

I wanna see "the girls" beat up madam lil.

Now that would be funny :)

Maybe i should use DW on her and force her to attack them lol

-Neo

15. Nukenin

Nukenin New Member

"Magic Boom-Boom" and "Magic La-La-La" are used in the dumb PC interaction with tirain ticket agents, when describing how powerful a spellcaster they have with them. Funny quotes. :)

16. Neo

Neo New Member

undat the arcanumX.dat files and find "quotes.mes" in the mes folder for more, some funny stuff lol

-Neo

17. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Ahhh... Memories... My first meeting with Arcanum was when I read the Unofficial FAQ originally created by Jason Bryant and maintained by Ratster. I was so young... *wiping a tear away* I still got the file, and it was damned funny at times.

18. Neo

Neo New Member

hrmmm, never seen it i dont think, i dont think ive ever read a walkthrough for arcanum acctually.

-Neo

19. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Well, this FAQ is cool, since you've got questions answered by Tim, Chad, and the others.

20. Neo

Neo New Member

ill hafta check it out then :)

-Neo

Our Host!