Help!! Unknown problem with a CD??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baal, Apr 16, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Baal

Baal New Member

No technician to date has been able to answer my question about this CD.

Why has this program burned out 4 ½ CD drives.

The Program I am talking about is called “star trek the next generation, birth of the federation”, company Hasbro phone# 425-951-7108.

I tried a copy of the CD it didn’t help, so it can’t be a problem with the CD itself.

When I play this game the CD drive gets hot (as in burning hot) in just a few hours, the drive doesn’t do this with other games, I can only play it for 15 minutes before it starts to get hot.

With continues use it will cause the auto run on the CD Drive to fail, then it starts having trouble acknowledging that there is even a CD in the drive (you haft to put the CD in 4+ times to get it to read it), then the computer stops acknowledging that it has a CD drive.

It causes both problems with the drive as well as software related to the drive.

When I took one of the computers in for repairs they said the CD drive was bad.

How/why dose this happen with this program? If you don’t know can you refer me to some one who might have a clue.

2. xento

xento New Member

How old is the game/CD drive?

3. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Return of the oh, wait, no way, he didn't just say what I

fake the cd on your hard drive. There are plenty of programs that do this for you. I might even look one up for you. You should be able to use google as well as I.

Edit-
    If you use Win XP, you could try
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpvirtualcd.html
    with
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

It really does sound like a problem with the drive. It is not really possible for the data on a cd to cause your drive to overheat and have problems

4. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

I've never heard of such problems. I've got a couple cds that'll get warm, but the only way I've seen a cd get that hot is when put in a microwave. (Thank you AOL! You've provided us with many hours of entertainment :D ) The problem is most likely the drive. Given that DVDRW drives are out, and dropping pretty steadily in price, you could probably get a nice CDRW for about 30-40. I paid 70 for mine, and it has a DVD reader in it.

5. Baal

Baal New Member

The game is Farley old, but the CD RW drive is new. As I said it has kill drives old and new, both the original and the copy of the CD.

I’ll try that.
    I have windows ME.

It has killed 4 ½ drive so it can’t be the drive. I know I’m stupid for still playing it, but I just like playing the game.

Try lighting one on fire that’s fun. Some time when you light plastic on fire and hold it in the air it drips little screaming fire balls. Or at least it did that with the cover of my school planner. :)

It dose get hot, but not to the point of burning me (close though).

As said it can’t be the drive, Unless the CDs are damaging it.

Addition: When the CD is finally recognized it works fine, the drive can read it and everything, except the auto run.

6. xento

xento New Member

I've heard of CDs that melt in drives, or explode, so you're not exactly a unique case.

I use MagicISO when I work with raw CD image files and the like. It's a trial, so it should work long enough for you to do what you want. It will allow you to create a CD image file (.iso) from a CD-ROM, and then you can open that image file and extract the raw files from it. Just put those files in a folder on your C: (such as "Star Trek TNG BotF" or something), and it should be able to fool your computer into thinking that it is a normal CD.

7. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

how exactly has it killed 4 and a half drives?

8. Baal

Baal New Member

It started to kill another one, so i stopped playing the game, the CD drive returned to normal a few days later. Now I'm back to playing Arcanum.

9. Twilight'sHammer

Twilight'sHammer New Member

10. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Well usually when we take apart CD-ROM drives in Uni, it's the spinning motors that have a problem. The semiconductor laser usually outlives the drive but not if they are cheap brand.

Our Host!