HELP!!! Unable to get expert dodge & melee training

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Allana, Mar 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Allana

Allana New Member

I have run into a problem in that I cannot get the expert training from Herkemer Oggdoddler in Black Root. I go to him, the subject of training comes up, I click on it, he says I'm qualified, an option to negotiate the price down shows up, he offers to do it for 300, then the only options are that I've changed my mind or that I'm leaving. I've tried this several times and it's always the same.

I have the GOG version of the game, and also have the latest version of the UAP installed. Can anyone help or offer suggestions?

2. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

He says that you're qualified? Is your character qualified? Apprentice training and high enough skill level? Any skill your character is qualified for should get a line at the time you get to negotiate the price down, as well as after you've negotiated. That's pretty much the only affirmation of qualification I remember from the test I just did.

3. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Are you sure you have the 300 coin?

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Hey look, you found another bug in this mess of a game, that I couldn't fix even after more than a year of practically everyday work and hundreds of bug reports from all over the world (talk about polishing a turd, huh).

Congra-fuck you-lations.

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

So did you try to fix this bug specifically, or are you just here to post obscenities and tell people Arcanum is buggy?

6. werozzi

werozzi Member

7. Allana

Allana New Member

I feel really dumb ... I would have blipped this post last night, but, I couldn't access it, as all my posts seemed to be stuck in limbo for several days pending approval. I have the 300 coin, I have apprentice, and I _thought_ I had the three points needed in each skill. But I had loaded an earlier save in there somewhere, and apparently didn't put them back in when I did so. So, sorry about this newbie mistake. I'll report back when I have the third point in as to whether it is really a problem.

Hopefuly, Drog Alt, I did _not_ find another bug. And thank you very, very much for the UAP. I doubt I would be playing this game, and enjoying it so much, without the UAP.

8. Allana

Allana New Member

Not sure what the rules are here, but if I post a question in this thread about a different issue I'm having, is that ok, or do I need to start a new topic?

Specifically, I'm having trouble figuring out how to use Magnus' schematics. I can't seem to make the pure ore one (the only one I've tried so far) work. I've got the 10 steel and 1 iron ore required, but when I click on the button at the bottom left (which I assume is the correct one to activate the crafting), I get a message that I'm "missing required item(s)".

I've tried putting the items in his inventory, putting them in mine, and I get the same message, and no pure ore gets made.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The items should go in Magnus' inventory. In an opened schematic, the items he does have should have a green background while the items he does not have - a red background.

The message you're getting appears when one or both ingredients run out. The background(s) should change from green to red for the missing item(s).

Now, are you sure you haven't double-clicked the button, hence receiving the missing items message? Pure ore's graphic is pretty similar to iron ore's.

If you rule that out, what are the backgrounds of the items before and after you place them in Magnus' inventory? How do they change after you click the merge button?

You can also try out the dwarf's other schematics and compare.

10. Allana

Allana New Member

Thank you. I went back and tried again, and this time the backgrounds turned green (they were both red before) and I was able to make the pure ore. Not sure why it didn't work before.

Also, I a bit confused about the schematics, specifically the numbers next to the ingredients in the ingredient fields. For example: To make pure ore the schematic says you need iron ore and steel. Next to the iron ore there is a "1". Next to the steel there is a "10". I had assumed that this meant you need 1 iron ore & 10 steel, but that is apparently not correct, as I was it only took one of each. So, what do those numbers mean?

11. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

The numbers signifies the required expertise within the various disciplines that is needed in order to combine the items. You needn't concern yourself with this while using learned schematics (those you gain when you spend character points) since you will always have enough expertise to use them, but it is of importance when using found schematics (as the name suggests you can either find them or purchase them by various merchants). To use found schematics your expertise must match the highest numbers in all required disciplines (sometimes more than one discipline is used).

If you want to increase you expertise without tossing away valuable character points you can buy books in the Tarant University. If you buy enough books you can use any found schematic without any prior knowledge, just as in real life. They're heavy though, and quite expensive.

(It's been some time since I've played the game so please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

While a schematic can create more than one product at once, it always uses a single unit of both ingredients.

The number in the lower right corner of the box represents the ingredient's tech complexity, which is equal to the expertise required to use that ingredient in a schematic. The symbol in the upper left corner of the box represents the discipline from which the expertise is required. Your expertise in a tech discipline is displayed on the right of your degree in your character sheet.

This is usually of no consequence when it comes to schematics learned by investing character points, since both ingredients are always from the same discipline + under normal circumstances knowing the schematic equals having the required expertise. Found schematics, however, often require ingredients from two different disciplines + you not always meet the expertise requirements, in which case you cannot use the schematic even if you have both ingredients. Without spoiling much, I can mention that there is an in-game method of temporarily boosting expertise.

13. Allana

Allana New Member

Thank you very much ... that helps a lot.

14. Allana

Allana New Member

Well, I've run into a new problem, and don't know if I'm simply doing something wrong, or if I've encountered a bug. I just got the Medical Arachnid from Maxim in Caladon, and no matter what I do it doesn't seem to activate. This is the one I received as a quest reward. I haven't attempted to make one.

So far I've tried:

- dropping it (sits on the ground doing nothing)
    - using it (putting it over the hand symbol square), but the frame on that square stays red & it ends up back in my inventory

Is there something I'm missing?

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

You need to throw it in order to make it active. While in your inventory, left-click the arachnid, drag it over your character's miniature in the upper left corner, release and throw it nearby.

16. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I like hotkeying them for the poké ball - "medical arachnid, I choose you!"

17. Allana

Allana New Member

Thank you both, I'll try those.

18. Allana

Allana New Member

I did try them, and it worked. Thanks! However, I decided after a few uses that it wasn't worth the extra weight, as it never healed anyone automatically, just when I pointed it at someone. Oh, well.

Another question ... does Myrth disappear from Stillwater after you complete his quest? I forgot to get the amulet from him and now he is nowhere to be found.

19. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

In my last playthrough I've got Myrth's quest completed in my journal, and he was still there at the end of the game when I had read somewhere that he had the amulet. I had forgotten that it was him, and for all I know I planned to get it from his corpse after I had killed everyone in Stillwater. Which I never did, because when I reached T'sen-Ang I had sold off all my Molochean Hand amulets (oops) and didn't feel like backing off, so I ended up killing everyone in T'sen-Ang instead. Which I apparently did the other time as well. Dammit. Replaying is hard. :cry:

As for the weight of the medical arachnid: You're not supposed to carry it around. You pick it up and throw it on the ground until it activates, and then keep it around as a follower until it needs to be repaired. It should crawl up to anyone who's hurt and heal them unless some other follower has a bunch of healing stuff, in which case they're likely to get to the wounded first. Sure, the arachnid is slow and will have to teleport to you when it lags behind, and if you use turnbased combat its slow crawl from way back of the group will take several seconds as it tries to get within melee distance, but... free automatic healing! 3:)

20. Allana

Allana New Member

Thank you ... went back again and this time he was there.

Our Host!