Help re: the CGW Arcanum Demo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grayshadow, May 16, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grayshadow

Grayshadow New Member

Hello, fellow Arcanum fans!
    Recently, while shopping, to my great surprise and elation I found a copy of the June issue of Computer Gamin World containing a demo of a game I've been anticipating for quite some time. Well, once I got it home and popped the CD-Rom into my drive and ran the setup program, but, to my despair, there was some sort of error! Ack! I checked online and found a supposed fix for this problem at the oficial Arcanum site. I've followed the instructions to the best of my ability, but I still can't install the demo. If anyone could clarify this matter, I would be very gratefull. Thank you!

2. stravaig

stravaig New Member

We'll need a bit more detail on the error you're experiencing, GS.

There are two problems that come to mind. One is a folder renaming issue, and the other is having to wait 5+ minutes for the installer to do its thing.

- Stravaig

3. Grayshadow

Grayshadow New Member

I've copied the whole Arcanum folder from the disk to the "My Documents" folder and from there to my hard drive, I can't send the files dirrectly to my C hard drive. Then I rename the folder "Arcanum Preview" as per the fix instructions. Then I ran the "Setup" utility but to no avail. Ack!

4. skwerly

skwerly New Member

Hmm.. My first guess was you didn't rename the folder yet, but you did that already. (You renamed the ARCANUM_PREVIEW subfolder, right? Not the main Arcanum folder?)

Second guess is you're out of disk space. The arcanum folder is 250MB, and then you need another 260MB to install, plus a bit more (dunno how much) for temp files during installation.

I won't have a third guess til you give us the exact error.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skwerly on 2001-05-16 18:29 ]</font>

5. Grayshadow

Grayshadow New Member

I finaly discovered the nature of the error that's been plaquing me, it seems that I didn't save all of the files to Arcanum Preview folder. Anyway, I apreciate your help and patience with me. I'm greatly looking forward to play this demo. Maybe I'll submit a role-playing log later this week. Now, 'tis time to go adventuring in the land of Arcanum with my beloved, Halfling magi, Dylan Grayshadow.

Our Host!