Help on installing the demo.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zen, May 14, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zen

Zen New Member

Ello!

I just downloaded the Arcanumdemo.exe off the filenet site, and I have a question on installing it. I have a rather small partitioned disk, c: being about 700 megs(for win and apps) and d: about 2.2 gigs.

The install wizard seems to demand a c: install or swap, and my prob is that I haven`t got enough space.

Do I have to departition my disk, or is there some fancy trick to avoid this?
    As you might have gathered I`m no computer wiz. :razz:

Thanks for any helpful thoughts!

- Zen

2. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

Im afraid m8 i dont know any other way to do it except d/load again but this time d/load a zip version.
    If ya go here there is a list of mirrors and also a reference to the problem you have mentioned.
    http://www.terra-arcanum.com/station/demo.shtml
    I hope this helps
    :smile:

3. skwerly

skwerly New Member

I haven't been able to convince ArcanumDemo.exe to unpack to anything but C:.

The good news is, once the files are unpacked, you can install to D: (or anything else.)

The unpacked files /should/ delete themselves off C: when installation is done.

The trick is getting 250MB free on C: in the first place. I suppose you could try moving your windows swap file to D:, rebooting, and deleting the old swap file off C:. That could free up 40-150MB or so. But if you must ask "How do I do all that?" then I strongly suggest that you don't do any of it. Swap files are BAD, mkay?

The other alternative is to find someone or some place with 616-Arcanum.zip or ArcanumCGW.zip. You can unzip to any drive. Or buy a magazine that has the demo on its cd. :)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skwerly on 2001-05-14 16:26 ]</font>

4. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

I know the bonus web link works on the page i gave ya
    :smile:

5. Zen

Zen New Member

Thing is fellas, that I have to download it at school and that takes quite some time.

And the connection at school are seriously unstable, and I`ve only found one download manager that works there (metaworks massdownload).

And then I have to chuck it onto my zip-drive and bring it home which also takes a healthy amount of time. And then shuffle the entire thing onto my own harddrive again.
    And I need it NOW :_0

And I believe you have to have closer to 500 megs free on c: in order for the installwiz to work. My friend had more than 250 Mb but less than 500 on his c: drive.
    The inst wiz swaps the entire file on c: and then gives you an option as to where you`d like to install it. NOW he has less than 250 free on C: but loads on D:, and it turns out the prog won`t let him install at all on the grounds that he hasn`t enough disk space...
    I had the exact same prob with the auto installer on the demoversion of Battlecruiser Millenium that plagued this months issue of the british PCgamer.

Thanks for the help though...I`m departitioning my drives :smile:

- Zen

Our Host!