Help! Entering section of Caladon Sewers crashes PC

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Allana, Mar 11, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Allana

Allana New Member

I was exploring the Caladon Sewers on my way to the Catacombs, and was going in through the large room with all the undead, when I suddenly got a horrendous burst of very loud static and noise, it crashed my PC, and I had to use the power button to turn off & restart the PC. When I restarted, I tried again, with the same results, except that this time I also lost all sound as well.

After some troubleshooting of Windows, and a couple more reboots, I've got sound back. However, I'm wondering if something has gotten messed up in my game files, and am wondering if I need to uninstall & re-install. My question is:

If I uninstall the game, then reinstall, will my saves be kept or am I hosed? And is there anything special I need to watch out for? I have the GOG version installed, along with the UAP & the Hi-Res patch, on a Win 7 64-bit system. And, yes, I'm running as admin.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

you haven't installed the UAP mid-game, have you? That messes up the saves and crashes in sewers are a known side effect of that. There isn't really much that can be done if that is the case, other than bypassing the sewer section.

Your saves are stored in the Arcanum/modules/Arcanum/Save/ folder. To be safe, copy the folder and paste it back after a reinstall.

3. Allana

Allana New Member

I installed everything, including UAP, before I started my game. I was able to uninstall everything (in reverse order) and that seems to have eliminated most of the problems I was having. Certainly the Caladon Sewers issue. I still have the Half-Ogre Island bug (no captain for return trip), but I was able to use Drog Black Tooth's "Mark & Recall Gems" mod to get back to the mainland, so I'm not too concerned about it. Thank you!

Our Host!