Have you ever killed Captain Teach?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by jfkoski, Nov 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

While investigating dialogs, I found one that talks about Teach being killed probably over money, and that he would take you to the Isle of Despair for $5000. I tried it and it works!

I'd wondered whether he'd be able to defend the boat from the inmates, like Teach and was excited to find a global flag listed next to Thorvald's that said something like "You spoke to the lead thug trying to take over your ship."

Unfortunately, after Thorvald you find them dead as if Teach had killed them and the new captain has nothing to say. I looked at the scripts attached to them, and there's none for dialog, just for heartbeat to toggle them on/off and kill them. I thought it might be interesting to have to fight/negotiate with them before going back to the mainland.

2. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I thought it would have been interesting to have to find a way off the island, instead of that bullshit with Captain Teach taking on all four of them.

3. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Actually, I liked that - it showed he was a tough guy!

But suppose he's not next to the ship; you meet him in the bar. Then after he says to meet him at his ship, he gets into a fight with someone - like you and the Molocheans (or Han Solo and Greedo?). So if you don't help him - you know like the dog-kicking gnome - or resurrect him, you'd have to hire the other guy and then fight/negotiate with the thugs to get off the island. Cool.

4. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

re: killed Teach

Got to the part where you need to get a boat. Teach is alive and well in Black Root, even though I killed him in Ashbury. Groan - another glitch. But he's not needed anymore since despite what he says, you captain your own boat.

5. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

I have noticed other little glitches like that. One I remember for sure is going to Half-Ogre Island. Instead of walking to the docks to get the ship to take me I teleported straight from the guy's house to the island. When I got to the island the boat was waiting for me to take me back. Nice thing is I didn't have to pay the Captain for the ride back. I guess the boats at the ports and landings are hard coded and are always there. I wonder what would happen if you teleported to the Isle of Despair. My guess is the game would treat it as if you got Teach to take you. Things like that, that get overlooked, make the game seem sloppy. I do like the game though.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Ah, no. A while back Sinbad created a bug-fix/expansion pack that allowed you to travel to Despair. If you did though, you couldn't get back.

The global flag needed for the captain to talk to you didn't get set.

7. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

So does the game set the variable for the ship when you land ashore on the island no matter how you got there? That seems to be the only thing that makes sense. Unless is it set when you get the quest to travel to said Island? Since you cannot teleport/travel there until someone gives you a reason to do so.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Without doing any testing, I think it's set when Teach or the other guy agrees to take you there:

Edward Teach's dialog -
    {111}{Now be as good a time as any. There be a strong easterly wind, and the waters are as glassy as I've seen 'em in a long time. I not be the superstitious type, but I'd be inclined to say it be a good omen...}{Now be as good a time as any. There be a strong easterly wind, and the waters are as glassy as I've seen 'em in a long time. I not be the superstitious type, but I'd be inclined to say it be a good omen...}{}{}{}{gf1029 1}

And the global flag listed at the end of the dialog -

{1029}{cmoore - 1 = The PC has landed on the Isle of Despair and is looking for clues to the BMC}

9. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

You can't teleport to/from Isle of Despair (or T'sen Ang or the Void). There's a file that lists game areas so marked.

Once you get the destination of half-ogre island, you CAN teleport there.

The ship on half-ogre island is essentially scenery like a castle. It also works like any of your boats: you can walk to Tarant and your ship will be there waiting. I suppose there might be a way to turn it off like what happens to all the skeletons and implements of experimentation there. But that seems like a lot of work for little payoff.

That's not the variable for going to Despair. It's one you get after visiting BMC whether or not Bates is alive. Although maybe you changed your question to ask about half-ogre island flag? There's two: one when Arthur tells you to go there, another when you meet his replacement.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Sierra/Arcanum/modules/Arcanum.dat/Rules/AntiTeleport.mes

The ships are facades, like the castles and mountains. Those work differently than the other artwork in the game. Once you set them into place, that's it. They are now in a fixed position on the map.
    I don't believe it would be possible to turn them off.

Our Host!