Greatest Movie Ever Made

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Icairus, Jan 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Try Thief of Time, I seriously doubt you will be disappointed..... I would post a random quote but, there's too many to choose from.

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Qil, you need to look harder. Tolkien crafted a world that was absolutely phenomenal, but he's longwinded to the point where I can skip two pages and know exactly what he's talking about, because he's stalled there forever. He spent 3 pages on how precisely Frodo broke a plate, there's a point where detailed description yields to anally retentive expounding.

3. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Read it. It was fun, but i'm talking about the most recent ones. The last good pratchett i read was the lost continent. Rincewind happens to be my favourite character in the discworld continent. Ridicully is a good second.

4. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

The whole series of Dragon Riders and Anne McCaffery in general are good but R.A Salvatore? I liked that as a twelve year old but damn are his books over-rated in a sickening way. There is nothing interesting about a pussy little N I G G E R-elf with OMG!!11 two swords and morals! Not to mention his invincibility powers. Seriously no drow, ever, could be that way and live to get to the surface. It's tragically cliche. The apparant emotional depth makes me want to kick myself and burn the books not to mention his 'reflections'. All the main characters have modern morals and I mean modern, not just good vs. bad. Entreri was bad arse at the start but he gradually and un-convincingly had a mid-life crisis. Shit I hate Drizzt...and Catie Bree, Wolfgar and Bruenor.

I recently finished a Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weisz trilogy about the void and someone called Dagnarus and I thought that it started well but really lost the plot mid way through the first book and all through the second and third. It was all about greed and the downfall it brings, which I have no problem with but...it wasn't greed, it was incompetence. The characters were so very bad as well, they changed in a significant way on a whim, not just through experience. The characters were all contructs to push the plot along and get a message like an allegory or something.

I do like Stephen King and I would recommend Mercedz Lackey and Ursula Le Guin. And I have only read one trilogy of Hickman and Weisz but Drizzt needs to die...come on one thousand orcs?

EDIT: Leave _nig_ger_ as _nig_ger_, it sounds better than gobble

5. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Taking from what you wrote Sea, you are definitely going to read Salvatore's next book upon release(or is it out already?) and you shall be rooting for the orcs :D :lol: Hey, some ppl feel that way about Drizzt and his companions.

One of my favorites to date is The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Although he has perhaps drawn out the series a bit, and things don't always seem to move at the same pace(not talking chapters here) he is overall a great read. I beleive that he is every bit as good as was Tolkien. Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying that Jordan is above/superior/greater/beter than Tolkien, just that he is definitely on the same creative, storytelling level.

And folks...it is alright if'n Qili thinks the way he does about LotR, there are ppl that have embraced a "Jedi lifestyle". Besides I take a small comfort knowing that for as fanatic about the books as he is, Qili would probably be like the idiot that is camping out for 5 months to catch the premiere of Episode 3(yes, the same moron that made headlines doing the same thing for Episode 1).

6. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i liked the wheel of time up until about book eight... then it just got to be too much for me. i got bored with the never-ending story...

7. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Umm, yes. But don't you wanna know how it ends? Besides...the cleansing of saidin was rather nifty! :)

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i genuinely no longer care how it ends... it was that boring...

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

The Dark Crystal
    Labyrinth
    Witches
    The Secret of Nymh
    The Never Ending Story

Five of the greatest movies ever made, big props to Jim Henson for being responsible for 3 of them.

10. Calis

Calis Member

Off the top of my head, some of my all-time favorites:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Apocalypse Now
    Brazil
    Bad Taste
    Once upon a time in the West

11. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

The Dark Crystal...very nice!
    Braveheart
    Gladiator
    King Arthur(the new one, very much like the potrayal)
    Krull
    Fantasia(the Disney movie...yeah: HA HA)

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

FEAR AND LOATHING!!!!

*pays homage to the master*

13. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Bah i got in on the prepremiere on the last one. The friend who got me my tickets even spoke to the actor behind gollum. Waiting in line..bah.

As i see it the wheel has sunk far to deep down into the mud and thus is having problems moving forward.

14. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Not sunk down into the mud, but perhaps....mired. It has dragged on more than a good series should. I think it shoulda ended around 7 or 8. Waiting on book 11(I'm cheap so I buy paperback) the story does not seem to be close enough for a climactic end in one more book. The way he[Jordan] has been moving things the past few books it appears highly unlikely to end with book 12. I would guess that 13 books does not seem unlikely...hell even 14 wouldnt be too far out there.

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i just can't commit to more than 9 books in a series... unless it's Piers Anthony's books about Xanth. or Dune. Dune is God.

16. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Have just compleated the nutmeg of consolation by patrick o brian. Beautifull books just beautifull! I recomend them extremly.

17. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Now Xanth is good. The Pern/Dragonriders books by Anne McCaffery aint bad. But the best seem to be the little treasures one can sometimes find at obscure books stores, or on the discard/free shelf. Couple I have found are: Sing the Warmth and Paksenarrion's Deed - authors uknown(at this moment)

18. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Sing the Warmth was written by Loiuse Marley, and Paksanarrion's Deed was written by Elizabeth Moon. I'm a big fan of the Dragonlance, and Forgotten Realms books, as well as the Death Gate Cycle, which was written by one of the Dragonlance authors (but isn't connected/related, minus vague references/parrallels).

19. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

But, but...that's all so mediocre! :-?

20. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Are you calling the patrick o'brian books bad?

Our Host!