Good storylines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrostyMixi, Nov 17, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Arcan.. Oh.

I'm quite fond of the Mass Effect series. Anything Bioware has touched is golden, really.

As I recall, Indigo Prophecy was intended to be a trilogy or some such, but that was ruined by someone, somehow, and they skipped to the ending halfway through. Hence what's-her-name falling in love with what's-his-name without having ever spoken to him before.

I thought the game itself was fantastic, though. :thumbup:

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that they use the same storyline and characters over and over and over again?

3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

4. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

I forgot to mention Heavy Rain aswell. Thank you Grakelin for reminding me that one. It was intensethe first timei played it.

5. Sjael

Sjael New Member

I never played the Neverwinter Nights single player campaigns, so I can't argue that it doesn't involve sentient machines bent on destroying all civilization in the galaxy.

When you approach your level of generalization, there are no new story lines anymore.

The different character traits you can jam into one person are limited too. Although I am fond of the traitorous holyman who is unfailingly loyal to his liege lord and unfailingly atheistic towards his patron deity.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Is Apocalypse Now completely different from Heart of Darkness?

7. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Sjael: No sentient machines, but an evil, dark intruder who threatens to destroy everything. And you're the only one who can stop them. But you can't do it alone, so you must gather support from all around the land. Same story in Dragon Age.

DE: Apocalypse Now is based upon Heart of Darkness. But you probably already knew that.

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Yes, they're really good at that formula. It's not a case of same story, but same premise. They made a Sonic RPG, if I recall. Probably along the same vein.

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

A dark evil threatens the world, you an orphan have a great destiny ahead of you. I just covered 95% of RPGs.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah, it was a rethorical question. Sjael seemed to be making the case that because the antagonist bent on omnicide happens to be sentient machines instead of monstrous hordes, the plot is somehow incomparable to any high fantasy.

Of course, it doesn't really work that way. Hence my example.

11. Sjael

Sjael New Member

Depends on how you define what a storyline is, I guess.

I tend to think of it as the story that the game is telling, not just the generic themes that underly it.

let's try another exercise: There is a protagonist trying to achieve something.
    There, every game ever made has the same 'storyline.'

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The themes are the important part of the story, though. It's like how all of Tennessee Williams's plays, except Night of the Iguana and Glass Menagerie, are basically the same, but they all ended up good anyways.

13. Elisius Von Pryde

Elisius Von Pryde New Member

Alpha Centauri.

Master Of Orion III.

What's great about those two is the story is completely superfluous to the game. It has nothing to do with the gameplay, and yet they put in a great amount of detail. Especially on the part of Alpha Centauri.

14. Crypton

Crypton Member

Fallout? Nox, Revenant, Star Trek: Away Team, Technomage, Earth 2140, Metal Fatigue, MDK, Urban Chaos, Kingpin, Turok 2, Gunman Chronicles, Star Wars: Racer, Operation Flashpoint, Thief 2, Requiem: Avening Angel, Theme Hospital, Startopia...

All of these have a good storyline, I think, but surely I forgot some of them to mention...

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    I suppose one could credit the success (if not near hegemony) of Warhammer to the same thing. The game itself certainly doesn't need rulebooks consisting of 90% fluff, but the fanbase loves it.

16. Charonte

Charonte Member

Wouldn't say nox had the best story; it was pretty crap (you just happened to pop into an alternate universe and become an ultra powerful warrior/mage/conjurer. That makes sense.) but the actual game was fantastic. I'd actually go for a game of that multiplayer one day through a VPN.

I'm quite fond of Mass Effect/Dragon Age as well, but I'd still happily say Witcher was superior story-wise to anything bioware farted out.

For me Morrowind was always about the sheer amount of freedom you had, combined with the sheer amount of content if properly modded, think I even made a thread about that here. Story certainly wasn't bad though.

17. Crypton

Crypton Member

Well, from my point of view, it has a great story, but surely my English is so lame that I shouldn't be judging a quality of any story written in English.

Btw, no need for VPN, it should be still working online, I remember playing it online a year ago, since I was really surprised and didn't expected that so many servers were available. It was required to install some Westwood client with fix to disable account registration step and to fix a server browser. :thumbup: :D

18. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

You mean the game by Cinematix? It's got a good story, but the ending seems lacking.

I'm also very much a fan of D, it's quite a bit more scary then, say, Resident Evil.

19. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Just finished the campaign on CoD:Black Ops. While I'm not a huge fan of the 'Run, gun and shoot thousands of bad guys' style of play, it had some pretty sweet atmosphere and the storyline was intriguing.

Our Host!