Good Old Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Jan 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm seriously considering deleting this thread, destroying the Internet and assassinating everyone involved including myself that the memory of this horrible piece of garbage will remain forgotten forever.

2. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

3. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The only thing that I can think off what DE meant, is the talking about the business of the contest for the avatar and title for Wobbler, right?

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Given that you provided suggestions, Arthgon, I'd say yes.

5. Rain-Dog

Rain-Dog Member

That said, doesn't Arthgon now qualify for an avatar and title? As indeed does Grakelin.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Meh. I think your mentioning it means that it'll be awhile longer before they get it. Nice going. :)

7. Arthgon

Now that you mention it, Congratulations Grakelin with your 1003rd post!!!

8. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Good job! And if Arthgon got an avatar anytime soon, something would be mighty wrong with the order of the world. PC only isn't what qualifies you for an avatar.

9. Arthgon

I would say that there is already something wrong with the order of the world, as the economics that is in recession, the business about Geert Wilders, Iran making in secretly nuclear weapons, people killing each other for some expensive shoes, school shootings, family killings everywhere, shrinks for your pets, DBZ action-movie, clothes for your pet (plain stupid.) and so on and on.

Wait...you almost had a custom avatar, right wobbler?

10. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

This is true. Just look at wobbler.

11. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

To be honest, it frightens me more than anything else.

12. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

It's not really secret when everyone knows about it.

13. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Yeah, but we don't know. We're just fairly certain. Remember when everybody knew that Iraq was making secret nuclear weapons? And then they weren't? Yeah, it could be like that. And because of that possibility, it's seeeeecret.

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You need a defining personality to go with an avatar, Grakelin could probably get one though. Reading through an Australian PC Games magazine the other day, they print a small sample of a thread on their forum and the titel of the thread was "Worst games you ever played"or something. Some tool said Arcanum was the worst game as it had bad graphics and bugs. I proceeded to place my face in the palms of my hands.

15. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Just curious, was this just some schmoe that posted on the thread or was it a supposed 'expert' or critic?

16. Arthgon

Just a bit curious but, what for kind of personality has Grakelin? And do I have a bit of personality here?

17. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

A coworker of mine recently informed me that he had reinstalled Arcanum some eight months ago and began playing it. He promptly stopped playing it due to the graphics. My reaction to him was quite similar to yours as that seems a shallow reason to abandon the game.

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Bugs? 1.0.7.4 + latest UAP is great, but I encountered no problems nor frustration caused by bugs during any of my several playthroughs in 1.0.7.0. What the fuck?

Also, I would really like to know what it supposed to be wrong with the graphics. Again, what the fuck?

It would be hard to confuse you with anyone else, of that I can assure you.

19. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I stumbled on a post less than a month ago where 1 person posted as: "the top 10 time wasting games" and the #1 on his list was Arcanum #2 was Fallout 2 I think # 4 was Fallout. well after I read that I was tempted to register and make comments and arguments but I decided that there was no point because if he hated what I considered the top 3 games of all time so badly that his ideas of a good game was so twisted from mine that there wouldn't be enough middle ground to actually hold the discussion in. I think all 10 of the games he listed was RPGs also which would have basically meant he just hates RPGs anyways and those are just about the only types of games I really like myself.

moral to the story everyone has a opinion and you will occasionally come across someone that will say the sky is red and ocean is orange and they themselves will believe they are telling the truth.

it is however in my opinion that ever since around 2005 the quality of the games the gaming industry have been releasing have been getting steadily worse while the quality of the games flashy graphics have been improving. and personally I would prefer to have a enjoyably game play than just some pretty flashing colors in front of my eyes BUT there are more and more gamers that like the flashing colors these days that people like me end up mostly playing the games that came before 2005. sure if someone updated the games I like with the latest graphic technology I would love it but only because it would still have the quality game play. if I'm in the mood for flashing colors I will just take a break from the game I'm playing and watch TV or a movie for awhile.

I have tryed to not sound like I'm trying to attack anyone with my comments and if anyone takes offense because they have different views on this than I do then I apologize about offending. (I will leave it at that because it is getting hard to think of things that are not to negative about the way gameing companys are doing things lately.)

20. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Being part of a list of games that wastes vast portions of your time that people should spend doing something else does not sound so bad.

People have been crying that games aren't as good as they used to be for years. Same with all entertainment media. Same with society in general. I don't personally think it is true. It is just that we have so much more of it now that it seems like we're averaging out far less golden classics, when really we produce at least the same base quantity of high quality entertainment, if not the same ratio, and the obvious profitability of the industry opens the field for more suck.

But hey, if we forget that ET, Bible Adventures, and Mario's Time Machine ever existed (as we are prone to do, because we do not carry nostalgia for terrible games unless it is for humor value), it is easy to believe that games are terrible now.

If we compare the latest thing, Dragon Age, to a video game from exactly ten years ago, say...

Superman 64!!! What a great game!!!!

Also during 1999, Half-Life revolutionized the FPS genre with such features as 'the guns don't just float around anymore, it actually makes sense for them to be where they are!' and 'Wow! A storyline!'. Nowadays, if you try to make an FPS based on the original Quake or DOOM, you'd better be making a farcical comedy.

Great games, just like great movies, are about how they make you feel. The Pokemon series is one of my favorites for two reasons. First, it has nostalgia value from my childhood. Secondly, even though it plays just like a rock-paper-scissors JRPG (Attack! Attack! Attack!), it feels like you're an awesome Pokemon trainer going around, collecting Pokemon, and training the best Pokemon to curbstomp the gymleaders. Also, you get to collect things. This is why the franchise has stood the test of time (it's been thirteen years now, hasn't it?), despite its primary fanbase having grown up.

Fallout and Arcanum were great games because you felt like you were a Wasteland Explorer or a Gunslinger/Mage. Oblivion failed for many people because it required huge modifications to make you feel like you were in the Fantasy World (though with the right mods, it's not half bad).

I would not worry too much about the industry collapsing in on itself. They're still making great stuff. What about Arkham Asylum (I'm playing it right now, and it's pretty swell)? What about Left 4 Dead (After all, the game is pretty ugly looking by today's standards, yet still popular)? Dragon Age? Mass Effect? The Witcher? Half-Life 2? Galactic Civilization?

Our Host!