Get a sex-change from Virgil

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by jfkoski, Oct 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Sex Change from Virgil

I've seen some threads asking if there was a way you could play other character-types. I was fooling around with the female gnomes and halflings in Roseborough using Mind Control to see how they would work as followers. Unfortunately they couldn't use weapons other than daggers and couldn't wear armor. This is probably due to the lack of drawing and animation files for these females.

I found a script line that can be used to change your character's sex, in this case from male to female! I added one line to Virgil's dialog and three to his script to make it happen. The first thing that happens is that your character trades a strength point for constitution (normal for females). However, your figure's form will not change: you will still have a male body. If you take off your suit, you won't be able to put it back on. I don't think there's a half-sized or large-sized fancy dress. But from what I've seen you can still wear robes and armor just as other females can. NPC's now recognize you as female and will use those dialog options. So you can try the game as a female dwarf, halfling, gnome, or half-ogre. The game wasn't really set up for these character-types so you might lose some dialog options. On the other hand, I looked at the bordello files and I did see responses to a female dwarf PC!

The next thing you might want is a good portrait for your character. Of the original ones, I only liked HUF2.bmp and HUF2_b.bmp (girl with her hair up) as a female gnome, which you'll have to rename as something like ANY151.bmp (& ANY151_b.bmp). I downloaded portraits.zip but most of the females are beauty-queen types, not a chubby-cheeked halfling girl among them. I chose ANY28.bmp (ANY28_b.bmp) as a possible female half-ogre (are they bald?). I chose ANY31.bmp (ANY31_b.bmp) as a female dwarf since the face reminds me of a woman wearing a fake beard like Glenn Close in the movie, Hook. Finally, I chose ANY33.bmp (ANY33_b.bmp) as a female halfling. So to get these to work, you put them in Arcanum/data/portrait along with the file userport.mes you create with program mesedit.exe. Each line has one .bmp portrait file name "ANY28", "ANY31", "ANY33" and "ANY151" in my case, so they'll show up in character creation.

Note: if you get 01324Virgil.scr from scr.zip or Arcanum2.dat (instead of Arcanum4.dat) you will have the unpatched version and should add lines 47 & 48.

01324Virgil.dlg
    {8}{I want to be female}{1}{1}{ra-1,ra-3,ra-4,ra-7}{-49}{}

01324Virgil.scr
    47. set local flag 31 to true
    48. return and SKIP default

49. stat 26 of Triggerer: adjust by -1
    50. dialog 9
    51. return and SKIP default

If someone decides to go through the most of the game like this, feel free to post any messed-up dialogs that need changing. You may have to modify them as you go - loading old saves. I've gotten blank dialog options before in my tinkering - I think you just click on the field to exit.

2. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I found the item codes for the small dresses and added them to a shopkeeper and thus my inventory. Unfortunately, the NPC female gnomes and halflings won't wear them. Probably because they didn't make the art files for these characters to run around in.

Also, there ARE Gorgoth-hungry lines that would need replacing if you got a female shorty to him.
    {Little man look good}{Little man look good}
    {Me eat you little man}{Me eat you little man}
    You'd replace the second with a female noun.

Our Host!